Racer v0.9.0 RC5 released

Ruud

RACER Developer
Get it at http://www.mediafire.com/file/zdn8i0kntl3h579/racer0.9.0_rc5b.7z
[URL edited at 16-11-2012, 17:07 for some bugfixes]
Get a racer.exe/pdb bugfix at from http://www.mediafire.com/file/ny6a8gju5oaracb/racer090rc5c_exe.7z (which fixes that braking with locked wheels would give extra force instead of less).

A note about the audio: a bit more is planned to add to audio. Mainly an extra 'noise' sounds for each surface when going off the AI line. Then there's also an idea to use understeer & oversteer values to select samples, instead of taking skid values per wheel, since understeer sounds different from oversteer. Experimental a bit though.

Enjoy!
Ruud

Changelist:
- Ctrl-I now inverts debug readout colors (it used to roll through the debug readout views)
- Onyx compiler improved with bugfixes, type-casting.
- Onyx pointers (hm).
- Onyx now supports float const ('const float x=0.5'), while, for and do-while.
- Onyx supports basic yielding of scripts (coroutines, triggered each frame).
- Onyx internal function abs(), sqrt() added.
- A default Cg shader is created for materials without an explicit shader. To avoid black materials.
- car.ini's now accept wheel<n>.pacejka.negate_camber. Some TIR files/coefficents out there
seem to reverse camber (inverting influence on Fy tire forces). This option inverts camber sign
as it goes into the Pacejka formulae.
- lighting.cg no longer adds Ks (specular) to the ambient term.
- .f32 file support for textures in .shd files; future development for sky colors.
- Added $water_reflection texture map for shaders, in the same way $mirror exists. This works with renderer.water.*
to render a mirror image of the scene into a 2D reflection map, which can be used for a water shader.
See also water_f.cg/water_v.cg in data/renderer/shaders.
To be elaborated.
- The default debug text color is now white again.
- Timing is passed to the Cg shaders in TrackEd for some animations.
- Explicit low LOD steering model removed; use the model LOD available for the regular model (steer.model) (in car.ini)
- Car cameras can explictly turn the steering wheel on or off (camera<n>.steering_wheel=0 or 1). The default is 1 (added to data/cars/default/car.ini).
See also http://www.racer.nl/reference/carphys.htm#campos
- Number of materials in a track raised to 6000 (from 4000) for some nasty import tracks.
- TrackEd's generate template shader generated '<unnamed_QObject>' for unloaded textures.
- Added engine.shifting.cut_ignition in car.ini; instead of cut_throttle=1, you can leave throttle open and cut
part of the ignition instead. A value of 0.5 for example will output 50% of engine torque to the clutch/gearbox/wheels,
so is smoother while shifting.
- Autoclutch during shifting linearized; it was now squared, making for a less smooth experience.
- New combined slip method for tire forces; #7. From Pacejka's book, the Similarity method. Does not require
optimal_slipratio and optimal_slipangle anymore. More info on http://www.racer.nl/reference/wheels.htm#tireforces
- When the tire left the surface, slip angle and ratio were reset to 0. This was not realistic for a bumpy surface,
since you lose a lot of traction when the tire is bouncing a bit. Now it keeps on tracking slipAngle/Ratio.
- Different fonts (Eurostile)
- Added dyn_standard_bump_ao_f/v.cg shaders for ambient occlusion map (much like the mix shaders really).
- After all these years, on Win7/64bits with 32-bits Racer, got PerfKit working with PerfKit v2.2.0.12166 from nVidia ('debug 6 1').
- Added 'float serverTime' uniform for Cg shaders to get (an estimate of) the multiplayer server time. To sync vertex shader effects across multiple PC's.
- Added active differentials basics using Onyx. See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/differentials_active.htm
- Added a global 'lowpass' DSP option. Mainly used for testing for a future 'muffle' parameter per car to soften incar sounds.
- Added track audio per surface (in special.ini). If not defined, the default global surface type audio is used.
See http://www.racer.nl/reference/tracks_surfaces.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------

Bugs (currently known specific to RC5)
  • Gearbox shift times not working properly, step from 0 > 1 clutch position over the time rather than smooth linear transition.
  • Water reflection not rendering, needs clarification on functionality.
  • Qlog discrepancies (I'll let Boomer clarify those.
  • Odd console readouts about tyre slip angles or something popping up (same goes for gearbox manual/auto setting, doesn't need to be console displayed imo)
  • PerfSDK not working as advertised, broken?
  • Multiplayer joining to IP's seems glitched, the person joining has their brake stuck on and are unable to shift
  • The Multiplayer Lobby does not let you connect, and subsequently let you host, despite the right ports being forwarded. (Anyone else experiencing this bug?)
  • The particles pop-out of existence at the end of their specified lifetime instead of fading away smoothly. It would be nice to have some better control over the fade-in and out over the lifetime of the particle since tiresmoke starts out thick and opaque then disperses and becomes more transparent over time, while gravel or dirt fades in a bit at first then eventually fades away.
  • Smoke flickers in the reflections, as though it's missing every other frame.
  • Replay bugs: No smoke effects, ghost car is left on track.
  • The starter sound plays all the way to the end of the sample instead of stopping when you let off the starter.
  • Ghost doesn't work on endless tracks.
  • track special.ini: timeline.point_to_point=1, timeline.auto_return=0 - The auto_return setting doesn't seem to work here. I have a point to point track and the car resets 3000ms (3s) after crossing the finishing line, but I don't want it to.
  • No reflection in the Racer garage when selecting a car.
  • The unsprung weight apparently applies a downforce, try making a 150kg rear axle with the front
    suspension lighter and the car will act as though it has high downforce when jumping off of a ramp.
  • If the wipers are set to rotate in opposite directions then the intermittent position does not rotate back and forth smoothly. It snaps back.
  • In RC5c at least, the camera bug is still evident, and on Carlswood (spline based cameras) you can often get stuck so you can't get back to the in-car camera view which is really annoying! - Courtesy of Dave

Thanks for correcting that awful version 090rc5c Ruud!

I'll try again Cosmo.

Minor Qlog error:
Loading screen image (data/tracks/ring2002_cold_day/loading.jpg) doesn't have power of 2 dimensions - may stretch [ui.cpp:72 / rrFullScreenTexture]

1024 x 768 IS a power of 2!

They must be square, ie. 1024 x 1024, etc.

They don't have to be square, but 768 is not a power of 2. ;-)

While we're talking about loading screens, would it be possible to have some kinda slideshow maybe? Have perhaps loading_* wildcard so it will randomly choose images each time, or cycle them?

Just thinking of something cheap but adds a bit of interest to the loading screens...

Could also then cycle those images in the background of the track selection screen in full-screen somehow.

Dave

While we're talking about loading screens, would it be possible to have some kinda slideshow maybe? Have perhaps loading_* wildcard so it will randomly choose images each time, or cycle them?

Just thinking of something cheap but adds a bit of interest to the loading screens...

Could also then cycle those images in the background of the track selection screen in full-screen somehow.

Dave

Hmm... I would rather like to have a more customized and uniform loading screen.
Sure, it might show a slideshow of track images somewhere, but I would like that the selected track name and car name and other interesting info be displayed during the loading screen.

It would be cool to have a loading screen template where we could specify all the labels and widgets and whatnot displayed during loading.

For example, NFS series has loading screens which are all based on same template and display information about the track or give driving tips.

Yeah, anything like that would be good. Obviously that is a bit more in-depth again but if we could have that kinda feature it'd be nice.

You could then provide a mixture of varying imagery for the track and cars for both their own selection screens and for use at the loading screen so they all come together in a nice visual way.

You could easily use a views.ini type of logic for view elements, what picture to use, where to place it, how big, loading bar graphic, or other data to add (such as lap-time scoreboard and which car) etc...

Hmmm

Dave

You could easily use a views.ini type of logic for view elements, what picture to use, where to place it, how big, loading bar graphic, or other data to add (such as lap-time scoreboard and which car) etc...

Hmmm
Hm, introduce a variable for 'loading progress' (0 to 100%) and views.ini logic would cover most of the simple animation tricks.

Has anyone tried the Nvidia perf sdk yet? I've just downloaded and interested if anyone has any pointers :)

Exactly Stereo, no reason the system can't just be cheap and cheerful but have powerful flexibility to do interesting things!

Hmmm

Dave

The menu screen has a slideshow of cars but you can't see it due to the menu overlay image not being trnsparent or semi-transparent. The images were visible if I remember correctly for a couple of versions then Ruud made the overlay image opaque. I did post a semi transparent overlay image and a number of nice car images with great bodies what seems like a long time ago. You can change the alpha layer on the menu overlay image to see Ruuds or your own images.

The loading screen looks much better if made at 1024 x 1024 and I have instructions on how to make them if anyone is onterested. They can have anything you want.

A problem with ver 090rc5d:
Lambo on carlswood using V 090rc5d - what is this in the console and how is it fixed.
w3 'u2' changed sign from -0.000101 to 0.00106; SR=-SR
u=-0.00. rotV=0.01, sum=-0.00

Replays and making a video with Racer ver 0.090rc5:

See: http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/replays.htm

Run a race.
At end of race press F2 key to run replay, left click on -> next to black square to start the replay
At end of replay click red dot to save the replay.
Go back to menu and select "view replay" and select the one you just saved.
At end of replay select the far right icon (looks like film).
enter fps, 24 is good. Select the location and name to save the file, ie lambo.avi
Let the replay run twice to get video and sound.
Look in racer folder for replay_TEMP.avi and replay_TEMP.wav files.
Use Windows Movie Maker to make a video with sound.

- Replay exporting development using DirectShow (instead the ancient VideoForWindows) to get better video files. May requires openglfilter.ax to be registered (run 'regsvr32 /s openglfilter.ax').
See http://www.racer.nl/index.php?jump=tutorial/replays.htm
- Replay export using DirectShow (replay.video.type=2) now requests a filename (intermediately generates replay_TEMP.avi and replay_TEMP.wav).
- Replay format changed; now stores the driver names as well and can display those in replays (if show_names=1 in racer.ini).
The replay format, V4.1, is incompatible with previous replay formats which won't run.

Well, I downloaded and ran PerfSDK Nvidia, the latest version Ruud mentioned, turned on the Instrumentation, deubg 6.1 6.2 and 6.3 don't seem to do anything, 6.2 saying PerfSDK not shown.

You also need to turn on the racer.ini option for the SDK.

Then you also need to download the latest PerKit SDK exe installer to get access to a copy of the Perf HUD to get the overlay in Racer... these PerfKit SDK with the HUD seem to be different versions to the one Ruud mentions in the opening post.

Ruud, could you clarify exactly what we need to be downloading/running here. Should Racer run without the HUD, does PerfSDK come with the HUD (the version you recommend?), or do I need a HUD app from somewhere else?

I'm not sure if Racer is just being broken in this regard, or if I'm doing something wrong.

Even Racer debug 6.2 days the PerfSDK isn't running, when it is and racer.ini setting is turned on... hence me thinking Racer isn't working right, rather than me missing something?!

Thanks

Dave

Replays and making a video with Racer ver 0.090rc5:

See: http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/replays.htm

Wow, I don't remember it being this convoluted before. Why not make it simple...
1. set start clip point
2. set end clip point
3. hit "record" and tell it where to save the file.

The FPS and CODEC could be set in Racer.ini since you won't usually need to change it over and over.
Also, it would be really nice to have a scroll bar for replays instead of having to play or FF to get to the "good parts".

Alex Forbin

Wow, I don't remember it being this convoluted before. Why not make it simple...
1. set start clip point
2. set end clip point
3. hit "record" and tell it where to save the file.

The FPS and CODEC could be set in Racer.ini since you won't usually need to change it over and over.
Also, it would be really nice to have a scroll bar for replays instead of having to play or FF to get to the "good parts".

Alex Forbin

Exactly. This is why I bought FRAPS. It just 'works'

Dave

Well just tried out the multiplayer with Racer between just me and Silver, the Multiplayer server doesn't seem to work for me (I can't host despite having all the right ports forwarded). and when I host a server the old way and he joins, he can't drive at all, and I can see him just fine. And I can also drive just fine, but he says the brakes and gear shifter are like stuck, but they aren't. Nothing comes up in the Qlog either.

Are either of you running scripts?

Despite many script methods to define the owner of the script, they can still interfere. I wish we could just have a script that ran on the car running it. Simple as that. Why a script in a specific car folder thinks it might need to influence another car is quite beyond me if it uses getscriptowner car thingy. Hmmm...

As per the server thingy, no, it's not worked in a while I don't think. Again, I've tried lots and not sure why. I think it might not be running.

You *should* be able to host your own server/multiplayer lobby and then join it to start/play games... not tried that yet.

The fool proof method is just using an IP and joining via that for now. Cosmo and I play quite often and it's generally reliable bar the weird script issue.

Also make sure each other have each others car folders the same. I've had issues when Cosmo had an older car vs me, though we were sure they were identical... a fresh copy fixed the issue!

Dave

Are either of you running scripts?

Despite many script methods to define the owner of the script, they can still interfere. I wish we could just have a script that ran on the car running it. Simple as that. Why a script in a specific car folder thinks it might need to influence another car is quite beyond me if it uses getscriptowner car thingy. Hmmm...

As per the server thingy, no, it's not worked in a while I don't think. Again, I've tried lots and not sure why. I think it might not be running.

You *should* be able to host your own server/multiplayer lobby and then join it to start/play games... not tried that yet.

The fool proof method is just using an IP and joining via that for now. Cosmo and I play quite often and it's generally reliable bar the weird script issue.

Also make sure each other have each others car folders the same. I've had issues when Cosmo had an older car vs me, though we were sure they were identical... a fresh copy fixed the issue!

Dave
Interesting on the script issue. Yeah I should be able to host my server in the lobby, but I can't seem to connect, so it won't let me host. (says its trying to connect to lobby.racer.nl:28100)

Me and Silver usually play around by me hosting and him typing in my IP to join, its been more reliable then the lobby for me. We almost always trade vehicles before we cruise around on the server.

This sorta issue is why the Aronde's script gets scriptowner car + local car, and only does functions when they're equal - otherwise it was synchronized opening the trunk on all of them in the track at once, just cause the script was run for each car. I've never had issues of them being loaded for the wrong car though.

Yeah that does work, but it seems odd to have to double check.

How inaccurate is scriptowner car if a car that doesn't own that script is effected by it :D

In fact all those things, local car, scriptowner car, all say the same thing to me.

Indeed local car to me says even more specifically JUST the car running the script.

I don't get how local or scriptowner could ever mean anything else but the same thing any way :D

Confused here... ;)

Dave

scriptowner car does mean the one running the script - local car means the one the player's driving. All the running scripts can see the local driver's inputs, even if the script's running for an AI or multiplayer car, so if you want something to only affect the car being controlled, it should check that it's the local car too.

The ABS script, which isn't based on player inputs (uses get $car brake, get $car wheel slipratios, etc. for the scriptowner) shouldn't have the same issue. If it does, something odd.

Anyone else having this A problem with ver 090rc5d?
Lambo on carlswood using V 090rc5d - what is this in the console and how is it fixed.
w3 'u2' changed sign from -0.000101 to 0.00106; SR=-SR
u=-0.00. rotV=0.01, sum=-0.00

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%