Racer v0.8.39 released

Ruud

RACER Developer
Finally something new!

Get the latest at http://www.mediafire.com/file/03gcsac51pd955u/racer0.8.39.7z (52Mb)

The changelist:
- car.ini susp<n>.k_factor now influences regular springs. Also works with the system ('set car0.suspension0.k_factor 0.5')
- 'doc scriptfuncs' and 'doc scripttypes' now output HTML (more readable).
- TrackEd: added checkbox to turn on/off colorizing of object flags in Properties (F4) mode.
- TrackEd could display bad colorize flags
- TrackEd now saves LOD Z information in geometry.ini when saving (used to throw it away)
- TrackEd's model information now displays information on all LOD models.
- Dof_Fix could report continously optimized indices; this was due to every object being loaded to get tangents.
Now, tangents are only created if a shader is attached that requires tangents (tangents=1 in .shd files).
- Camera offsets fixed when moving the CG for from/to cameras and fixed-type cameras (see http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/car_cameras.htm)
- Fading of menu->race->results->menu restructured internally.
- Add Lidar section to TrackEd (not that you normally would have Lidar data).
- Increased the number of supported DOFs in a track from 5000 to 10000.
- Render engine supported number of blocks (geobs) in view increased increased from 3000 to 5000.
- 'debug <n>' command extended to support a subpage, i.e. 'debug 6 2' for the Onyx profile view.
- Images/textures can now be loaded up to 8192x8192 in size
- racer.ini's textures.max_wid/max_hgt increased from 2048 to 8192
- Ghost cars now load their shaders from the same car directory, only using car_ghost.shd instead of car.shd.
No longer do you need a separate data/cars/<car>_ghost directory.
- Added 'reload onyx'. Onyx is an relatively complex scripting language that is much like C++, and will be used
in the future as an interface for external physics, or other places where script overriding might be useful.
See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/onyx.htm
- Added 'run <script.oxs>' console command to run an Onyx script.
- Added onyx_run.exe, which compiles and runs an Onyx script. Useful for debugging (a .oxa ASCII file is generated as well).
- Added 'show triggerlines' and 'hide triggerlines' commands.
- Modeler's Import ASE function speed improvement.
- Particles did not use Z-testing.
- Backfire particles were spawned in the wrong position when the car had velocity.

The FF generally doesn't like doing things like reload_car...
My main curiosity right now is those 8192 x 8192 texture maps... that's 256meg/texture on 32bit rgba :D

PS Ruud, is there any chance any time soon of being able to create hdr cube maps (perhaps have some sample locations in xyz in track coords to take them from at track load or TOD change), then be able to reference them for reflective object

We actually tried doing some Google Maps overlays of satellite imagery overlayed on tracks. Was a bit low-detail, although nice on the environment. Hence the 8K texture size. ;-)

I'm looking into a file format to store the track envmaps. We used to have 8-bits; the scenery is now rendered in 16-bits. Bringing things back to 8 bits may be possible; saving 16-bits DDS is a pain... (compression in software).

Where can I find Stereo's car with these scripts?
I just tried Stereos Simca beta and it worked fine, so I assume it is my altered script that is causing the problem.
I'm using 2 scripts, one in /paint and the other in /physics...

In /paint

Code:
rcar $car = get local car
rcarmodel $headlights = get generic model 0 of $car
set $headlights scriptcontrolled 1
shared float $headlightspos
shared int $headlightson
int $keydown = 0
while 1
{
  if is key 76 pressed
  {
    if $keydown == 0 // make sure it only happens once per keypress
    {
      $headlightson= 1 - $headlightson// toggle open/shut
      $keydown = 1
    }
  }
  else
  {
    $keydown = 0
  }
  //paint $simtime at float[2]{30,10}
  set $headlights position float[3]{0, 0.2108, 1.95}
  set $headlights rotation float[3]{0.0, $headlightspos, 0.0}
  interrupt
}

in physics
Code:
shared float $headlightspos
shared int $headlightson
while 1
{
    if $headlightspos < 1.05
    {
      if $headlightson == 0
      {
        $headlightspos += 0.002
      }
    }
    if $headlightspos > 0.0
    {
      if $headlightson == 1
      {
            $headlightspos -= 0.002
          }
    }
    if $headlightspos < 0.0
    {
      $headlightspos = 0.0
    }
    interrupt
}

Alex Forbin

We actually tried doing some Google Maps overlays of satellite imagery overlayed on tracks. Was a bit low-detail, although nice on the environment. Hence the 8K texture size. ;-)

I'm looking into a file format to store the track envmaps. We used to have 8-bits; the scenery is now rendered in 16-bits. Bringing things back to 8 bits may be possible; saving 16-bits DDS is a pain... (compression in software).

Hehe...

You need to look into the Frostbite engine terrain technology. It's quite impressive how they 'fill in' large data fields with generated procedural data.
Maybe a bit too far for Racer hehe, but interesting in any case.

I think the closest we can do in Racer is to generate a 'terrain' tile set in one large shader that can do 90% of the ground coverage we want 'beyond' the track sides, so mountains, hills, grass, fields, whatever. A 4k texture with 512px tiles would be, err, 64 tiles to choose from... ample for a varied terrain in my view.
Just lots of work for the author to go mapping the terrain but hey, nothing good comes easily :D

That is the route I'm going right now for larger terrain areas with 'nice' visuals... in theory with an 8k texture you could get 256 tiles for oodles of detail!

It's just painting it all in to the polygons... that is where Frostbite has nice tools for artists to paint their procedural terrain :D

Dave

I just tried Stereos Simca beta and it worked fine, so I assume it is my altered script that is causing the problem.
I think I've changed the script since uploading that, it's all in a single paint file and is just as functional since movables are visual only.

You can find an updated version at http://nmurdoch.ca/simcaaronde90a.7z with 3 scripted movables: 't' opens/closes the trunk, and combined up+right and up+left arrows open the driver and passenger side doors. That way it provides a couple more examples how to use it.

It uses one cg file that's not included with Racer (modified window cg to behave more like I need), just copy that from car/cg/ to data/renderer/shaders/.

I think I've changed the script since uploading that, it's all in a single paint file and is just as functional since movables are visual only.

You can find an updated version at http://nmurdoch.ca/simcaaronde90a.7z with 3 scripted movables: 't' opens/closes the trunk, and combined up+right and up+left arrows open the driver and passenger side doors. That way it provides a couple more examples how to use it.

Cool stuff. :) The older 'shared' variables were normally meant to be used over networking (multiplayer) but they appear to work between paint & physics scripts.
A good testbed for some Onyx functions.

v0.8.40 out btw, going to post now.

It uses one cg file that's not included with Racer (modified window cg to behave more like I need), just copy that from car/cg/ to data/renderer/shaders/.

Thanks for the feed back Stereo. The scripts are a lot of fun and Onyx look to be even more flexible.

Alex Forbin

gizmos_racer0839.jpg

Racer0839 works fine with my old 32-bit XPS laptop. Racer0840 fails with an UDP error.
And as you can see, Gizmo's Trail is about to catch up with the newer releases. Hopefully it will be Gizmo's Trail 2012 when (if) released. I work slower and less often. Tata for now :)

Hi Ruud, and thanks for the reply. Both v0840 and the *41 "patch" complain about not being able to connect to UDP port 25000 even though it is open. It works fine with v0839 so I know that for sure. See the attached images for more info. And congrats on the many great and innovative changes in Racer. It has matured a lot and is IMHO close to industry standard :)

udp_error.JPG

udp_error2.JPG

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back