Racer v0.8.32 released!

Ruud

RACER Developer
After a small break (where I broke nothing except 1 snowscooter), a new Racer.

Get it at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer0.8.32.zip

Changes:
- The Lambo differential ratio was a bit low (1.75) - reverted to 2.53.
- Differential could become unstable when the 2 wheels got opposite reaction forces.
- Removed obsolete wheel<n>.friction_road values from data/cars/default/car.ini.
- Replay audio (replay.wav) was empty when recorded.
- Multiplayer fixes (billboard nodes/car names)
- Smoke tweaks (soft particles, improved motion)
- Shadowmapping normal dependency improved for shadow acne reduction

Lol!
Good luck.

Thx Cam, I'll need it.
Does my code work or not ? Any difference ?

Actually, I'm looking at decompiled/disassembled shader code from other sim games, just to get a better understanding how it internally works. Will probably bring/port some of them to Racer...

An example :

Code:
    ps_1_1
    tex t0
    tex t1
    texcoord t2
    tex t3
    dp3_sat r1, t3_bx2, t2
    mad_sat r1, r1, c1, c0
    add_sat r1.xyz, r1, v1
    add_sat r0, t0, t1
    mul r1, r1, r0
    mul r0, r1, v0

// approximately 10 instruction slots used (4 texture, 6 arithmetic)
Easy enough to understand :)

Why reflect only at 0.9?

Doesn't glass act as a mirror at 90deg incident angle?

Also why the specular? Shouldn't that not be there since the envmap will provide the sharp reflections that glass exhibits?

Thanks

Dave

No particular reason for those - must have tweaked the Lamborghini at some point (default is spec=1 1 1 afaik)

A good idea for Tracked before I forget : (after some testing)

If you could somehow modify the Tracked "grip feature" slightly with interpolations points, to avoid setting each 'grip spline'...a bit like the track cams, would be a wonderful world.

While talking about Tracked, the free spline feature which lets you create additional splines from an existing one is quite a great one, but it needs somehow to be 'detached' from the main road splines & added as 2nd spline in spline.ini => splines.spline0 & lines inside that tree. Minimap should also show both splines or even more with a blended terrain texture would be perfect, for offroading for example.

What about first creating like the traffic feature, a path/a curve where we want & then generate from it the splines (quads)/ road, I'm telling this, cuz the splines aren't 'aligned/projected' to my existing terrain. Hm, I know, splines are quads merged/using the existing scene vertices to snap them correctly.

I'll give a deeper thought/brainstorm & report back !
Feel free to try those features & feedback for Ruud/Mitch !

Same for traffic, conceptually speaking, it's quite 'hardcore' to build, for what I remember from Crytek 2 sandbox, is that when an AI spawn & you see it from your perspective view, that doesn't look cool & that's only 1 concern to make it right.

Idk, how do you projecting this feature, the road splines width could be 'internally' divided, so that AI could drive on 2 different directions on certain splines only ?, which would 'absolutely' imply a wide road....(min. 2 x car width from car.ini values ?)

Big Bug/Issue : (long term)

While rotating camera (outside car cam for example) & then calling console, the cam keeps rotating 'infinitely'....constraining the player to exit game, duh !

===================
Common guys, there's a lot of 'little' things that could be fixed, Ruud & Mitch must know, so they can concentrate on those in priority...

I have high expectations for Racer, it needs to evolve faster & get stronger !

ruud/mitch, any prevision of get working dof for turn signals (like in 18 wos, nfs5, nfs porsche, etc).. and a traffic for open roads?
IMHO it would be better to use shaders for things like blinkers, reverse lights etc. Then u don't have to worry about seperate dofs, aligning them with the model etc, the material names for the blinkers (Left & Right) can be used for a shader that swaps textures &/or alters emission & colour tinting in timed cycles.

IMHO it would be better to use shaders for things like blinkers, reverse lights etc. Then u don't have to worry about seperate dofs, aligning them with the model etc, the material names for the blinkers (Left & Right) can be used for a shader that swaps textures &/or alters emission & colour tinting in timed cycles.

+1 David

With the 'time' shader variable we can do amazing stuff, so the 'blinker' shader could even be easily tweaked with a custom interval for them to blink as you desire.

http://racer.nl/reference/gpushader.htm

Also, there is a guy who already managed it, as you probably know, looking into profile1.ini, we have :

Code:
keyboard
  {
    enable=1
    lock=240.000000
    indicator_left
    {
      axis=
      min=0
      max=1000
      button=-1
      pov=-1
      negate=0
      make_analog=0
      linearity=1.000000
      sensitivity_rise=0.000000
      sensitivity_fall=0.000000
      key=left
    }
    indicator_right
    {
      axis=
      min=0
      max=1000
      button=-1
      pov=-1
      negate=0
      make_analog=0
      linearity=1.000000
      sensitivity_rise=0.000000
      sensitivity_fall=0.000000
      key=right
    }
I would probably use them, but since the G25 has no hardware for it, I didn't concentrate to much time in it.

+ if they were working like in real life, I suppose the AI (AI traffic drivers) would need to be aware of, hahah I know what you think, crazy stuff lol...they would react/ take proper decisions to brake accordingly for example, idk interesting how that could be nicely implemented !

A little issue as I stated it in my "rsx/rcx & rex" thread & since most people will in future own new GPUs with Eyefinity (for ATI) & Multiview for Nvidia, the font you're choosing in your racer.ini file (line 591) will display incorrectly that means on 2 screens as you can see in the picture.

Since I'll create a 'scripted pit area' with some feedback displayed on the screen (the refueling time for example), it could be useful to get a fix. Thanks :redface:

With the 'time' shader variable we can do amazing stuff, so the 'blinker' shader could even be easily tweaked with a custom interval for them to blink as you desire.
The only thing missing ATM is a way of passing thru to the shader notice a blinker is activated. the shader side is easily do-able, the control side is already there, just no way of one notifying the other to my knowledge. Same for reverse lights.

We also don't have provision atm for high/low beam lights. Just a realism thought for after 090Final, waaaay after!

+ if they were working like in real life, I suppose the AI (AI traffic drivers) would need to be aware of, hahah I know what you think, crazy stuff lol...they would react/ take proper decisions to brake accordingly for example
like beep the horn, swear at you & then swerve into the oncoming traffic trying to get round you while cursing at all the idiots on the road these days?

Did you set the font color in the script ?

Yes I tried, that doesn't fix the actual problem, I guess something needs to be changed internally. Also, is there any 'recommended' application who does a good job at compiling fonts (the .dtf file) for new creations ?

...like beep the horn, swear at you & then swerve into the oncoming traffic trying to get round you while cursing at all the idiots on the road these days?

Something smart, like Mafia 2 for example when pressing the horn, the AI cars were scripted so that they moved sideways 'automatically', same could be done when activating the horn, which I've recently set in Racer & mapped to my G25 steering wheel 2nd red button.

The only thing missing ATM is a way of passing thru to the shader notice a blinker is activated. the shader side is easily do-able, the control side is already there, just no way of one notifying the other to my knowledge. Same for reverse lights.

We also don't have provision atm for high/low beam lights. Just a realism thought for after 090Final, waaaay after!

like beep the horn, swear at you & then swerve into the oncoming traffic trying to get round you while cursing at all the idiots on the road these days?

Would be tasty to have parking lights, low beam and hi beam - 3 stages of lights. (in nfs you must press 3 times L button to get all stages, and turn off after) About the blinkers, I was thinking a code for dof like for reverse lights. (Maybe U letter for alert signal, T for left and Y for right i.e.)..

A code like this..

model
{
file=540.dof
}
model_incar
{
file=540.dof
}
model_light_l
{
file=lights.dof
}
model_hi_light_l
{
file=hi_lights.dof
}
model_parking_light_l
{
file=park_lights.dof
}
model_braking_l
{
file=brakes.dof
}
model_lightroad_l
{
file=lightsin.dof
}
model_blinker_l
{
file=turnsignalL.dof
}
model_blinker_r
{
file=turnsignalR.dof
}

Is it possible one day? :D

Exactly those specific dof files which belongs to the car are somehow missing (in the racer scripts function list) if you would create scripts to use them, i.e. => every car.ini dof available except the generic ones which can be scripted 'quite' easily to behave as wanted. (rear wing moving according to car velocity...etc)

@AMG

I think it's better to have a little iteration on car lights 'hardcoded' by Racer (for low & high beam), so pressing thru the light button would give us 3 choices of ligths. For the reverse lights, it's automatic, in car.ini, you can set & set your texture too.

Code:
body
{
  model
  {
    file=
    offset
    {
        x=0
        y=0
        z=0
    }
  }
  model_collide
  {
    file=
  }
  model_incar
  {
    file=
  }
  model_light_l
  {
    file=
  }
  model_light_r
  {
    file=
  }
  model_braking_l
  {
    file=
  }
  model_braking_r
  {
    file=
  }
  model_reverse_l
  {
    file=
  }
  model_reverse_r
  {
    file=
  }
}
For blinkers, we could have 2 dofs but somehow it would be just for the fun...

Hmm interesting, trying to replay an animated babes scene :

Code:
OS-Version: 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3) 0x100-0x1

0x00589057 d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\d3\danimation.cpp (line 64): DAnimTrack::GetKeys()
0x0058A042 d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\d3\danimation.cpp (line 218): DAnimInstance::Update()
0x0058B52A d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\d3\dbone.cpp (line 92): DBone::UpdateAnimInstance()
0x004C2339 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\lib\ranimated_ani_bone.cpp (line 63): RAnimatedAniBone::Animate()
0x0049504B d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\lib\rmovables.cpp (line 144): RMovables::Animate()
0x004381EE d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\lib\rscene.cpp (line 2711): RScene::Paint()
0x004018E2 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\mrun.cpp (line 896): PaintScene()
0x00405FC3 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\replay.cpp (line 919): Replay()
0x00402984 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\mrun.cpp (line 286): StartReplay()
0x00402F6F d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\mrun.cpp (line 615): rrGameEvent()
0x004EC1F3 d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\license\qapp.cpp (line 904): QApp::Run1()
0x0040389B d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\mrun.cpp (line 1962): Run()
0x00401504 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\main.cpp (line 222): main()
0x00401573 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\main.cpp (line 229): WinMain()
0x00550D7B f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\crt0.c (line 263): __tmainCRTStartup()
0x7C817067 [kernel32]: (filename not available): RegisterWaitForInputIdle

:rolleyes:

While we are talking bugs...

I'm sure at the moment if you set rain=1 on a track (via console), the car grip is not altered. Ie, you can still brake to a stop in the same distance with locked wheels as you did in the dry.
Only snow seems to make any real difference.

This is of course despite the correction factor of 0.6 being set in the racer.ini...

Hmmm

Dave

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back