Racer v0.8.24 released!

Ruud

RACER Developer
v0.8.24 is out.
Expected problems:
- Carlswood's kerbs seem to have a problem with bumpmapping. They're using static bumpmapping which haven't changed yet (to world space). Might be the tangent creation, hm.

Get it at: http://www.racer.nl/download/racer0.8.24.zip

Changes:
- dyn_standard_bump_reflect_*.cg rewritten to work in world space. Faster & reflection
is now also affected by the normal map (quite noticable).
- Same for dyn_standard_bump_*.cg; it now also takes the bumpmap's alpha for reflectiveness (specular).
- dyn_standard_bump_speca_v/f_cg was removed; use dyn_standard_bump_reflect*.cg instead (which does
the same thing).
- Controller stick_friction threshold velocity decreased from 20 m/s to 5 m/s (hardcoded).
- Added 'u' to position logging (normalized lateral position on the track)
- Added projected lights intensity: car.ini's lights.light<n>.color (default=4 4 4). In klux. Check
the Lambo's car.ini.
- async now runs the physics thread full throttle; it must run on a separate core if you want to avoid
it impact the other threads.
- TrackEd reworked to use the full render engine. Flashing also works again. Stack overflow fixed.
- Wheel setup screen now includes friction/stick friction/damping/inertia sliders.
- Added car.ini car.ff_friction, ff_stickfriction, ff_damping and ff_inertia factors to tune force feedback.
- Also added car.ini car.ff_gain, which modifies the ff_friction etc values directly (default=1.0)
- Added console commands 'ff friction <x>', 'ff stickfriction <x>', 'ff damping <x>' and 'ff inertia <x>'
for live setting of FF values. Absolute numbers for the controller, not car relative (0..10000).
- Fixed typo in NightSaturate() (no green in B&W color) in hdr.cg
- Tangents now generated in 4 coordinates (was 3). Mirrored UV seams are now being duplicated
to avoid tangent trouble where UV and mirrored UV parts meet.
- Modeler can now show tangents (T to toggle). It already did normals (N to toggle).
- Tangents were never used as VBO's; now they are (slightly faster).

I need to fix the car selection screen; a lot of the scene graph is deleted - too much at each car load. Which is why it gives problems later on perhaps.
To be honest I'd rather see the menu changed a lot. I remember Some1 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) did a menu mock-up over at RSC that looked great. He had a colour selection menu similar to GT5P too which looked great. Would be nice if that could all tie in nicely with shaders (I have some ideas if you're considering spicing things up a bit).

To be honest I'd rather see the menu changed a lot. I remember Some1 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) did a menu mock-up over at RSC that looked great. He had a colour selection menu similar to GT5P too which looked great. Would be nice if that could all tie in nicely with shaders (I have some ideas if you're considering spicing things up a bit).
I think it was Dave or somebody... I don't remember doing a mockup :)

It was Endo, iirc, who did the screenshot, or maybe Cosmo...

I like the idea of a garage though... but I also like the idea of an empty dark space with a solitary down-lighter in there ala GT5 kinda thing...

I guess this system gives us the flexibility to do what we want... iirc, Endo/Cosmo released a track that was just that downlighter type track menu setup, but it was for the old gfx system... it'd probably not work too well now.

I'll let Cosmo know about this discussion so he can add his 2p :D

Dave

It was endo's idea, he put a simple render scene together about two and a half years ago. I didn't have the screenshot saved anymore, which is why I didn't reply earlier, but it's still on our forum (Link).

As Dave mentioned the track is a simple, empty scene with a static spotlight effect - a proper studio setup with even lighting would be difficult with Racer being restricted to a single light source.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back