Racer v0.8.20 is out

Ruud

RACER Developer
Yep, just these changes (Mitch has been working on a GL wrapper, mostly for debugging, I've been doing mostly work on other versions):

- Set gamma to 1.0 in data/renderer/common/hdr.cg - gamma is done in your display!
- Added shader texture option 'mode' to specify linear or SRGB maps. Default is 'srgb'. Bumpmaps need 'linear'
otherwise their normals will be un-gamma'd (an SRGB image has gamma~0.45 where Racer works in linear light, gamma=1).

It's at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer0.8.20.zip

Check out Carlswood's track.shd and the Lambo car.shd to see 'mode=linear' being used for linear textures.
As for bugs, we're having some issues where sometimes we get a 'cgiChopArrayReference' or something creeps up. Mitch is looking into it.

Also note that road noise is/was buggy.

The little graphs at the top left don't seem to work anymore for road bumpiness etc?! but I remember the road_noise_threshold doesn't seem to work in truncating the amplitude.

Thanks

Dave

There also seems to be a bug with the sun position calculations.
I'm modelling up the area in which I live for racer and I'm getting pretty happy with the TOD curves but the sunrise and sunset don't correlate to the real world times. I.e. in-game the sun sets around 9pm whereas it sets around 6pm IRL.

Take yesterday's date for example: Sunrise 5:02am Sunset 6:02pm
I plugged in the date to the special.ini including the lat and long figures and here are the results:

screenshot009.jpg

screenshot010-1.jpg

(that's the sun behind the console, I left them in in-case you thought I was typing in the time wrong)
As you can see sunrise is approximately right (close enough anyway) but sunset is WAY off. It doesn't set until 9pm in-game.
Any ideas? Am I missing something bleedingly obvious?
The sun section of my racer.ini for good measure:
{
; Sun path parameters
year=2010
month=10
day=26
latitude=-27.533620
longitude=152.821994
timezone=0
; North angle offset in degrees
azimuth_offset=0
; Flare?
enable=1
; Sky Cg shaders
intensity=0.01
diffuse=1.5 1 0.6
ambient=0.7 0.7 0.8
specular=1 1 1
}

Also - timezone seems to not do anything.

Looks like you have the longitude and time zone set wrong. Time is set for GMT 0 (england) and the longitude looks like you have it out in the pacific somewhere. England should have the longitude about 0 degrees. Also the tod night curve may be off a bit also.

Took me awhile to get these looking right.

I have the timezone as 0 because it doesn't do anything. Even 8 (I assume the numbers are +Xhrs GMT) has absolutely no effect, which it should have a considerable effect.
I'm in Australia - lat and long should be approximately correct. At least close enough to make no difference as to the time and position of sunset.

I can also confirm the sunset position is wrong as looking out the window it's a lot further south than in Racer.

Just about everything you want to know about sun position and intensity and a lot of other info can be found at:

http://solardat.uoregon.edu/index.html home page
http://solardat.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.html Sun position calculator\

I use Google Earth to get the Latitude and logitude for a specific location. You don't need the diffuse, ambient or specular in the special.ini file as they are controlled by the TOD curves.

Also the placement of the "Sun path parameters" is important, I can't remember whether they go above the { and below the sun position or vice versa, damn memory and age thing. The setting need to be correctly done or they just don't work. Also see my posts on page 5 or 6.

I apologise, apparently the placement of these things does matter. Also, unlike any other normal tree in racer's files the sun tree doesn't explicitly need the
sun
{
}
bit but does accept having
sun= X Y Z
{
}

Not sure why but having it without the =xyz also makes it not work.
Here's my working gfx tree of the special.ini:
gfx
{
clear_color=0
; Night track? If 1, turns on car lights by default
night=0
; Camera exposure (at start)
exposure=1.0
sun=-93 24 -26
;sun tag not needed?
{
; Sun path parameters
year=2010
month=10
day=26
latitude=-27.533620
longitude=152.821994
timezone=10
; North angle offset in degrees
azimuth_offset=0
; Flare?
enable=0
; Sky Cg shaders
intensity=1.0
;diffuse=1.5 1 0.6
;ambient=0.7 0.7 0.8
;specular=1 1 1
}
; Day time (overrules sun if specified; uses TOD curves)
time=0502
shadows
{
; Intensity of projected shadows (defaults to 0.3)
intensity_projected=0.5
}
fog
{
; Extinction factor (<1 = less fog)
extinction_factor=1
}
}

Also, I swear we used to have
Code:
 tags...are they just missing from the quick reply box?

note:
Azimuth_offset=180 transitions from West to East and azimuth_offset=0 transitions from East to west as in real life.

Using Google the latitude and longitude puts you in the middle of the pacific ocean sothwest, a good distance, from Hawaii.

Otherwise the settings look, the logitude could have a - in front of it. All my tracks in the U.S. use the -.

note:
Azimuth_offset=180 transitions from West to East and azimuth_offset=0 transitions from East to west as in real life.

Using Google the latitude and longitude puts you in the middle of the pacific ocean sothwest, a good distance, from Hawaii.

Otherwise the settings look, the logitude could have a - in front of it. All my tracks in the U.S. use the -.

I think you're doing something wrong...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...880957&sspn=0.015223,0.01929&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%