Racer v0.8.12 is out

Ruud

RACER Developer
Yep, it's going a bit quick, but this is all for targeting a non-moving target, v0.9.

v0.8.12 is at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer0.8.12.zip for download

The changes are:

• Added camera.auto_switch_director_track_cam setting to avoid automatic track/director camera mode switches. By default it's off.
  • Lighting/shadowing fixes in shaders (dyn_standard_bump*.cg, dyn_standard_bump_speca*.cg)
  • The Baja had some bad shaders (metal parts in car.shd)
  • Modeler gave a lot of QLOG errors.
  • Modeler ASE imports now show a dialog if too many indices are used in 1 geob.
  • Accepting new graphics options would crash Racer
  • Added auto-calibration for controls (not too useful for consumer controllers though).See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/ctrlset.htm#values
  • Shadowmapping now done using a texture atlas instead of a texture array. This for ATI cards.
  • On ATI, shadowmaps could not only be a Z-channel. ATI seems to need color buffers.
  • More tweaks to get ATI to work better. Our experiments show that alpha_to_coverage is very poorly supported, but at least shadowmapping seems to work better. nVidia cards recommended.
  • sky_daynight*.cg fixed to do the same as sky_*.cg, only with an added night texture.
  • Halo effects in shadow mapping improved through the use of Z information
  • Added dyn_standard_speca_f.cg shader for 1 texture with specular control using alpha.
  • Cg parameter passing in the render engine was cached. Lots faster.

With CG is there a better way to do some reflections?
I.e. It'd be nice to have the car self-reflect and have things like wing mirrors in the reflection whereas things like the $mirror could use the FBO and envmap as it currently does?
Especially with interiors it'd be nice to have some proper reflections...

Hmmm...

I think you are talking about real-time raytracing, which is very computational expensive and haven't been implement on games. Mostly found in commercial rendering softwares which require a decent workstation to run with.

What would be better for interiors is a reflect_interior.cg of some variety... that would be where you basically mask off the main envmap with a spherical map of the interior.

I have seen a few pics from the GT5 demo where the drivers helmet inside the car is reflecting the envmap, so the skyline is visible around the helmet, and the sun in the sky, despite it being a 370Z Coupe!

An rgba mask would be nice, so the interior could be a little detailed for the reflections, with the alpha mask masking off to the live exterior envmap... mmmmm! A nice touch.

I'd also like a control over blurring the envmap too, mainly for certain types of alloy wheels/chromes, and interior type materials which are soft metals/metal effects rather than glaring sharp chromes!

Dave

I'm happy with this version, on ATI it works well. New shaders are awesome, finally the shadows will give the scene more realism & depth. Some bugs are fixed (change resolution in-game) etc...

FPS has dropped down, so a little code optimization would be great.

Great job Ruud !

Ok, so I've tried this version and it's preety much flawless compared to other ones, but since v0.8.10, I have an issue about lighting. For example, I'm driving at time=1600, and then I swich to time=2100. This causes for one model of the car (there are both model and model_incar) to not become correctly lightned (nothing changes in light intensity over the model. It should fade, but it doesn't), but the other will do. The dof is the same though:

model
{
file=car.dof
}
model_incar
{
file=car.dof
}

s1.JPG exterior camera

s2.JPG interior camera (moved, of course)

Am I doing something wrong, do I have to tweak something or it's a bug?

Hi Luthobu,

Your simple ini still works to run the non-cg version on OS X under Wine :) This time, the graphics options with Config can be maxed out. Shadow mapping works and live mapping too (I think). I see a reflection of the track, but static. Is this some intermediate that Racer uses of a live view when live mapping isn't supported, or a bug?

I'm using the latest non-beta version of Wine and OS X 10.6.4. I've not installed anything else with Wine Tricks, but have edited the registry to tell the system I've 256mb vram. I'm running on MacBookPro with an Nvidia 8600m GT.

Ro

Oh yes, and i get about 25-40 fps...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-19 at 18.36.14.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-07-19 at 18.36.14.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 248
Ok, so I've tried this version and it's preety much flawless compared to other ones, but since v0.8.10, I have an issue about lighting. For example, I'm driving at time=1600, and then I swich to time=2100. This causes for one model of the car (there are both model and model_incar) to not become correctly lightned (nothing changes in light intensity over the model. It should fade, but it doesn't), but the other will do. The dof is the same though:

model
{
file=car.dof
}
model_incar
{
file=car.dof
}

I tried it and it seemed ok here. Try to tweak use_vbo (0 or 1) and dev.cache_geodes (0/1).

@sorbus: you open your racer-wine version via Terminal? or is there another way? Cause I found that methode so odd... I tried racer with cider too and that works the same as with wine, or is wine better in some way?

@luthobu: can I have your ini too?:)

thx luthobu! much better now:)

Is it normal that I can't see lights? and the flares are very low quality...
also, those corner things (white and yellow) on carlswood are blue and when I approach them it sounds like I'm having a massive crash and after that the sound sound is gone. I can live with that but if someone know the solution I'll be happy:) (I don't know much about all this stuff)

I'm using the non cg version with cider on mac.

edit: solved with version 0.8.13:)

Attachments

• 0812-2.jpg
    0812-2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 204
  • flares.jpg
    flares.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 208

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 389 16.3%