RaceDepartment Rookies Race - 15th March

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Abarth 500 AC.png

EDIT: Track updated to Silverstone National. RaceDepartment are excited to announce our first of many upcoming races designed with the rookie in mind, using Assetto Corsa and the incredible Abarth 500 at Silverstone!

This Wednesday 15th March we will be hosting a special club race in Assetto Corsa, designed for drivers who are new to sim racing online (or just want a good race) and looking to build their experience and confidence racing closely with other community members.

The car of choice will be the incredibly enjoyable Abarth 500 in Assetto Corsa, and we will be pounding round the short and frantic Silverstone circuit for a 30 minute race, preceded by a 60 minute practice and 20 minute qualifying session. Oh and it's going to have it's own live stream on Twitch too :D

Although the race will be open to all skill and experience levels we would particularly like to see some new faces in the event. This race is designed to serve as an ideal setting to get you more involved in the world of online racing here at RD, a place where you can learn the ropes and gain experience whilst taking advantage of the opportunity to learn and gather knowledge from your fellow drivers and staff. Oh and being as it's the Abarth 500's then the racing is pretty much guaranteed to be of the closet nature you'll find in Assetto Corsa too!

To help with the learning process (and because banter in club racing is usually pretty cool too) we will be mandating drivers to log in to TeamSpeak for this event (you can find out how to do that here). Don't worry, no one bites and the laughs you can have with your fellow simmers is sometimes more fun than the actually racing itself!

All you need is a copy of Assetto Corsa, Premium membership, keyboard, console controller, or steering wheel and you are all set to go! For the event we are going to focus on getting you on the online track (for the first time) and giving you a great experience and making you a better driver.

Make sure to sign up HERE by making a post and on race day you can book yourself in the game between 17 and 1900 GMT. Booking is used so you can still rejoin the event even when you loose connection from the server

Sim racing is awesome, and racing online against real people is even better! You can find out about the event HERE and sign yourself up for some great online action.

The race will take place at the following times and will be the first of many such events we plan to hold in the coming weeks:

Server Name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM EU 500
Cars: Abarth 500 Assetto Corse (the upgrade with the nice grippy racing slick tires with fixed setup)
Track: Silverstone National

Booking: Booking is open from 17:00 to 19:00 GMT
Practice: 19:00 GMT (60 minutes)
Qualifying: 20:00 GMT> (20 minutes)
Race: 20:20 GMT (30 minutes)

Remember, this event isn't just for rookies although that is the main aim of the session. If you are an experienced driver you are still welcome to take part in the action, after all a low powered car with slicks and fixed setups on a small track is great, what's not to like?

Have fun on track!

You can find more Assetto Corsa racing events in our excellent Assetto Corsa League and Club Racing sub forum. We have a dedicated space on the internet who's sole purpose is to host enjoyable, clean and fun racing events for you to enjoy! Check out the forum and have a look to see what you've been missing!

Assetto Corsa Abarth 500 Rookies Race 3.jpg

Last edited:
Help meee!

My PC (Win 10) doesn't recognise (or rather the programs) any sound devices but my normal sound system.
Meaning, no microphone, no electric guitar no nothing.

Does anybody knows a possible solution?

I want to be able to communicate with you guys!

Help meee!

My PC (Win 10) doesn't recognise (or rather the programs) any sound devices but my normal sound system.
Meaning, no microphone, no electric guitar no nothing.

Does anybody knows a possible solution?

I want to be able to communicate with you guys!
I'm currently out of town so I can't really investigate right now, but if you don't get help herein the forums you can PM me your specs and I'll check it out this Friday. Sorry I'm unable to do better at the moment.

I´m at 1.25s right now on this track with this car
That is OK?
Of course. If you're unsure of yourself do a race weekend with about 10 AI opponents set to 93-100% and see how close you are to their quali times.
Remember, consistency will always beat quick and wild. I'm learning that the hard way, but it's a blast.
Also, don't forget you have to be a premium member to race. Very small investment for what you get in return.
Opposite lock to 'ya:ninja:

Awesome track and car combination. Looked like an epic battle at the front, alas I cocked up the 3rd corner and ended up last. Had a couple of battles to make it up to 9th and then I think Simon ran out of fuel... doh!

Would love to join in for more but it's already 5am here in KL so not sure I'll be able to join in regularly.

Thanks to all who organised and raced tonight. Appreciate it and the membership fee already covered itself.

I would like to thank all the participants and, especially, the organizers that spent time answering our questions.
Despite I was the last one, spending more time to fight against the flowing pedal pad than driving, I had some fun and I lowered my best time for some seconds.
:O_o:

Hi there, can anybody please help. Being new to all of this, I asked my tech savvy son to help logging on, but still believe that I never got out of the practice session. Even though I did the " qualifying " and "race " the practice, I only encountered one vehicle on the track. I believe that I was still in the pits when the race started....
Can anyone just supply me with a set of steps to follow - I'm sure I was racing all by myself.
The practice sign was also flashing red all the time ...
If I gan get some pointers in time, will join the R3E Zandvoort race tonight .....

My first serious online racing experience!!! :D
Even if i could not finish the race because of my internet shutting down exactly after the race started, it was fun and i am looking forward to be more involved in RD club events! Thanks to everybody and sorry for accident at first turn, i was going blind as my ping was up to 300 and other cars suddenly started to dissappear... :)

My first serious online racing experience!!! :D
Even if i could not finish the race because of my internet shutting down exactly after the race started, it was fun and i am looking forward to be more involved in RD club events! Thanks to everybody and sorry for accident at first turn, i was going blind as my ping was up to 300 and other cars suddenly started to dissappear... :)

Better for me, otherwise my position could have been even worse!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 305 13.0%