Race07

Have done quite a bit of Rfactor and was disappointed with RF2 so was looking to try something different. It seems Race7 gets a lot of interest at RD. Can anyone let me know how it compares to RFactor and is it worth investing in.
Thanks in advance

Subjective, of course, but it feels more 'solid' to me than rFactor and I have more confidence with it. Someone once told me it was developed with the G27 and it feels like it to me. It's my favourite racing game by far. It probably doesn't have the vast library of mods rFactor does, but what it does are very well put together, feel great and the best ones get a good run here at RD every now and again.

There's a free demo on Steam which and I'd definitely recommend you try it, and if you like it, the Race Injection pack is probably your best bet in terms of content for money.

EDIT: Just checked and Race07 itself it only £4 on Steam. Worth it. But try the demo first.

Definitely worth the money. There's an upside to lower mod count, the rubbish won't get converted to Race so often... What's keeping me off from rFactor is the overload of mods and tracks, for a newcomer it's just impossible to get in online servers... But Race too has it's own quirks and probably suffers for the same flaws, there's a host of mods that are used a lot.. Also the lack of open wheelers is a big downside, we got basically just one F1 mod (MMG 2007) and no junior formulas and the classic era is missing too.. Also i haven't found equally helpful community in rF, i've tried asking the noob questions but haven't got any answers. Here it's the opposite, you get almost too much info ;) Without RD Race would be half the game it currently is. The downside is that RD is very strict about the legality of mods and tracks so we are missing some content but as a modder i appreciate that. (There is a lot of content that could be converted but modders are notorius of disappearing with out a trace so some mods are lost forever :( ...)

As a game, you can't compare rF2 and Race, they are different generations of sims. We have to wait until GTR3 to arrive before making comparisons. But Race does feel more 'solid' for me too. There is probably more grip but there is also more clues in the FFB and sound to hold that grip, it doesn't do so much unexplained skids than rF.

I would advise to skip the demo and jump right in, the base game is ridiculously cheap and the amount of content in the package and in mods is just overwhelming for that price. As a racesimulator it is a must have... Also what Race has offered is the commercial content in forms of expansion packs or DLC, rF looses in that department hands down.. The ingame content of rF is just sad.... But it is the mother of Race, as a developer of gMotor2 ISI has packed some features in to rF that are missing from SimBin products.. There's no night racing, that's a big disappointment to those who like it. Another negative is the default locked stuff (tracks have fewer materials, that means lower variety in road surfaces, you won't get dirt racing etc...) but at least they then work. That's main difference in technical approach, rF has everything open and no matter if it really works or not, Race is somewhat stricted but at least they then work..

I've been happy with my original decision of choosing Race over rF back in the days when i started. I wouldn't even have rF installed without the developement tools that ISI offers that i desperately need.

Just want to add that there are F3000, FBMW and Int. Formula Master in it which are all excellent :D

I was referring to modded content. Ingame open wheelers are great, apart for formula RR which is ruined by the decision of making the player feel like he's a superhero when driving F1 track in record time because of extra HP and grip.. Aero is ok in that and the physics are great but ´, like i said, it's ruined.. If it weren't, it would be used but i don't know any league that uses it nor is it avalialble in public servers. It's free so can't demand my money back on that...

F3000 is superb, FBMW is great and IFM is ok, it suffers from loose feeling, it ain't as sharp as the rest but that my opinion only, i do like to drive it now and then

I see Race 07 as an every body's SIM, it's plug and play and there isn't much you can do wrong.

F3000 is superb, FBMW is great and IFM is ok, it suffers from loose feeling, it ain't as sharp as the rest but that my opinion only, i do like to drive it now and then

If you increase the steering sensitivity on the IFM up to 60-70% it's as sharp as a knive.

Thanks chaps, i'll give it a go. Presumably If I jump right in with Race Injection ill have everyhing I need.

Could be a bad move....I think RaceInjection is RACE07+ some silly expansions....but IMO, you should get RACE07+GTR EVO first up as a steam bundle, then, if you like it, buy RACEON for the US muscle cars and Road Amercia+Laguna Seca+ u get WTCC 2008 and more.

GTR EVO is the heart and soul of simbin, as you have 24+20km Nurburgring+Nurburg GP tracks and the great Corvette C6R along with other GT class cars.

GTR Evo also has the best replay system I know of.

I have tried most part of previous generation sims (RF, race07, netkar pro) and the upcoming ones (RF2, pcars), and for me race07 is the best all-rounder.

- The graphics are more or less similar across the board, (with even RF2 not beign much better at the moment).
- It is not ridiculously easy, neither impossibly difficult. (But note that I don't share the belief that the harder sim is the better sim.) I find it welcoming for the novice (together with netkar, and unlike RFx)
- The FFB is among the best. Some swear by the new RF2, but I honestly cannot "feel the tyres getting warmer" in any of them. I would also like to know if such thing can be even felt in a real car, lots of placebo effect in the FFB world I would say (again my opinion).
- The interface, menus, replays, configuration, etc are hands down the most polished of all.
- And finally, it has a lot of community despite being an extremely old game.

It has some quirks, some setup parameters seem to have little or opposite effect to what they should (could be also the mod), but all in all and for prices starting at 5 euros... hard to beat.

Are the RD events well supported?
Check out the club racing forum. Some classes are more popular than others, but most events get enough drivers for good racing. Mini Fridays in particular often get a full grid, or very close to it.
Could be a bad move....I think RaceInjection is RACE07+ some silly expansions....
Agreed, I would not bother with Injection myself. While it will give you a good amount of content, you will still be missing some of the things included with the separate expansions. That means you could miss out when it comes to club racing if you don't have a particular track/class. There was a sticky thread explaining all this at one point, but it's disappeared...

Agreed, I would not bother with Injection myself. While it will give you a good amount of content, you will still be missing some of the things included with the separate expansions. That means you could miss out when it comes to club racing if you don't have a particular track/class. There was a sticky thread explaining all this at one point, but it's disappeared...

Injection : 30 eur
including:
race 07 (5 eur) - I believe Injection is standalone, correct me if I am wrong.
stcc 2 (10 eur)
GT power (5 eur)
Retro (5 eur)
wtcc 2010 (10 eur)

Added 35 euros of value, if it indeed includes race 07. I think that if you have absolutely nothing the injection pack is not a bad purchase. Its bad reputation as a rip off comes mainly from people that already had half of the content through other extensions (and then it certainly is a rip off). And of course if you already have just race07 you may as well buy everything piecewise, since it is the same price.

Injection has some, but certainly not all, addon content. It's up to each individual if they want to buy it, but I personally would not even if I was starting from scratch.

- It is missing all of GTR Evo's content and almost all of Race On's content.
- What's the point in GT Power on it's own? The three cars are not even in the same class!
- It includes WTCC 2010 which is a waste of time since it is not used in our Club racing.
- It's missing a number of tracks that will come up from time to time in our Club racing.

It will cost more to buy everything separately but you avoid potential confusion later on. You can also pick and choose which expansions to buy based on which club events you would like to take part in, potentially saving you money. For example, the most popular classes in the Club are touring cars and the Minis. To join most of those events you only need Race 07 and STCC 2, costing just £13 on Steam.

(Note that some events will still use tracks from other expansions on occasion.)

I just did some searching and noticed that the Evo bundle is no longer available.. That's sad since that was the best package around, i go that as a first purchase and it it had all Race07 and Evo content... Now it's ~20 when bought separately.. Also to my surprise Amazon had some weird reviews in it's top list, some even had false information (Race doesn't use securicom etc..) When looking at rF it had only positive feedback, which is odd. Also that "GTR2 is more realistic" is just bull.. To me GTR2 is extremely loose and doesn't have the feedback range that Race has...

But Evo was in Amazon 6,99, that's a bargain..

Guys, one thing to remember about sims, is that it only takes a couple of good cars and tracks to allow for 100's if not 1000's of hrs of gameplay, for example, regardless of what my expenditure on EVO+RACEON+3-4 expansion packs, I've played Simbin for YEARS.....so even if you spent $30-$50, this is a sheer bargin, especially when you discover how polished the game is{as Alberto said}.

But whatever you do, make sure you get Evo......even slow cars are epic at Nordschleife as it's such a high speed track.

I have about all packs now, and some I even havent used once....

I agree with David here. There are a few cars that will get your attention mostly. For me, Evo was THE best choice I made. Bought the combo pack as well, and the most fun I even had with Race, was with the GT's. I got the Power Pack purely to race the RDGTC, never drove it. The standard GT's are so wonderfull to me, I haven't bothered about them.

Also, for me again, STCC the game 2 was a good choice. Had a lot of fun with that, as I dislike the public server misery most WTCC06/07 races bring. STCC seems a bit better in that matter.

I am totally addicted to rf2 at this moment, but still get lots of enjoyemend from Race07. I have no regret of buying it at all.

Hmm, i have missed GP2 and forgot Formula Ford, that is quite good... That might be because i'm most interested in F1.. I have to DL GP2, i hope it's legitimate version... I know there is a lot of F1 from the past but they are converted without permissions..

I also find that the quality of the mods for Race,GTR Evo are more consistant than GTR2 and rFactor.
That's mostly due to Guntar Rowe's excellent mods, which for me are as important for the game as the best addonpacks like GTR Evo and RaceOn :)

btw my personal favourite cars; just to give you an idea what addon's I would pick first:
Formula Master (Race On), GT-Pro Class (GTR Evo + GT Power), DTM 2008-2010 (Mod)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%