Race07 materials

This knowledge was added a moment ago and deserves it's own thread. Finally a guide of how to use those missing materials.. I quote neteye:

hold your horses, i dont have time to write posts everytime im on the forum. ;)
i never had problems removing one of my tracks tdf file. It seems that (my) race07 just ignores it, you can edit what you want in it, it had no effect. so i dont think that this is a key with the technic. race07 has a file called specialfx.tec in its archives in the locations folder where all materials are specified, which grip they have, bumps etc.
if you had opened the tracks with 3dSimed, you would have seen that its all about material names. the btb materials are not adapted to race07, so only very few of them work (the start/finish lights etc. arent either as you probably know, also because of the lack of adaption). but you can write your one materials in the field, so its quite easy if you know the material names.

first in the specialfx.tec base values are specified, which you easily can overwrite with your gdb file in every track by writing a different value after the variable, which are (with the base values behind):
RoadDryGrip=1.00
RoadWetGrip=0.75
RoadBumpAmp=0.0075
RoadBumpLen=5.0
RumbleDryGrip=0.98
RumbleWetGrip=0.75
RumbleBumpAmp=0.015
RumbleBumpLen=8.0

so we come to material names:
road : the most known one ;) uses entirely the "road..." variables.
lgroad: drygrip 0.95, wet 0.74, bump amplitude 0.020, wavelength 1.0
b1road: grip from roadvariables, amplitude 0.020, length 5.0, small bumps, has like a washboard effect
b2road: grip from roadvariables, 0.024, length 14.0, bigger and wider apart
b3road: grip from roadvariables, 0.030, length 18.0, much bigger, much wider apart

cutprevention when having paved run offs? just use...
marbles: drygrip 0.5, wet 0.48, small bumps. you already have problem starting without spinning, as the grip is damn low. try for example la source runoff in spa and try getting away after you braked to late ;) also has some resistance, so its harder gaining speed, or better your losing speed if driving just over it.

thats it with the tarmacs, so the next are rumblestrips and drains.
rmbl: well known, nothing really new here, except that it uses the rumblevariables from above
drain: same as rumblestrips, but griplevel is way lower: 0.80 dry and 0.60 wet

and lastly, the terrain ones:
gbrm: grassy berms or "flat lowgrip grass", has only griplevels 0.40/0.30, but lesser bumps than the normal grass. also has some resistance which makes you slower, similar to the marbles
gras: grip 0.60/0.40, think i dont have to say much about it, you should know it ;) has btw a bit higher resistance than gbrm
grv: graveltrap, 0.70/0.70, about 3 times the resistance of grass, should be known also
bsand: 0.80/0.80, same resistance as graveltrap, but damn thats bumpy, bumpamp 10cm every meter. when i first tested it on a fast built track and ran into it i was shocked and shaken. you also have more problems getting out of it than in the normal graveltrap, despite the more grip.
twall for tirewalls, cwal for cementwalls, grdr for guardrails...

also in this file specified are the other effects like sparks when bottoming out, smoke form tires etc, raineffects, sprayscreen and dirtscreen, stonechips, everything which land on your windscreen ;)

what i just... hate? with this specialfx.tec is... you cant edit it. every track acesses this file, and it is checked everytime you race online, so you will always have online mismatches, as far is i tested it. i tried once to build a snowy racetrack like the trophee andros ones, as a wintersurprise. but its nowhere satisfactory having black rubber lines on a snow texture, or green ones from the grass terrain if your using this one, having no clouds of snow behind the car (or brown ones....). all of that could be done with rfactor tracks, because it supports the tdf files, which is track specific.

so... hopefully this a satisfactory answer for your waiting time... :p

greetings,
Neteye

A simpler list to remember them with a broad description, use the post above to locate the actual data. I corrected some typos too, let me know if there are any left, i'll edit the post accordingly.

Tarmac:
  • roada: Basic road
  • lgroad: bumby and reduced grip
  • b1road: washboard
  • b2road: washboard,bigger and wider apart
  • b3road: washboard, much bigger, much wider apart
  • marbles: runoff, half grip
Rumblestrips:
  • rmbl: basic rumblestrip
  • drain: rumblestrips, slippery
Grass
  • gbrm: "flat lowgrip grass", similar to the marbles
  • gras: basic grass
Gravel
  • grv: basic graveltrap
  • bsand: very bumby sand with high resistance
Walls

• cwal: concrete wall
  • twal: tirewall
  • grdr: guardrails
All those marked Basic are the ones that are normally used in BTB. For the rest you have to write the name yourself in either BTB Material Editor or in XPacker. I'll add an example of every material type in the CK-Tools so you can make copies in material editor with the correct names for easy access.. Make sure you thank neteye for giving us this info: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/making-a-fictional-track-look-real.46259/#post-1035963

EDIT: Remember to rebuild HAT everytime you change materials. HAT = Height Above Terrain, a 3D map of driveable surfaces, this the actual (invisible) surface you're car is driving on.

Anybody tried this out on a "steamed" version of Race 07? I spent last night trying to persuade Race to change material name and on 2 different tracks I started with grvl then changed to a texture with material roada, redownloaded and it ran still as grvl!!! Checked with 3dSimEd and BTB Edit Material and they both showed the track to be Material Name roada.
So is it because its a steam version. Like I said before I had no specialfx.tec file under Locations.
Just tried steam "Offline" - same result.

This is driving me mad!!
I have just been in race07 game with a working track. Shut down the game, and opened the gdb file for that game. Changed the "RoadDryGrip = 1.02 " to "RoadDryGrip = 0.5 " - started up the game again - the track was nowhere to be seen. It was under the GTR EVO heading, as is recorded in the gdb file. Now nowt.
Something somewhere doesn't like me delving into, and changing the files.

Just tried another new simple track. In game worked fine. Changed a parameter in the gdb file. Track disappeared from game even though its still there in locations folder.

Vista. Thanks anyway.
Seems the only way I can change the gdb file is to change the "BTB\support\Race07\ template.gdb " when about to Export from BTB. Only then will it work . Otherwise my track disappears from Race, if I change' once Exported.
Will put it on the back burner for a while. Creep up on it when its not expecting it, at a later date.

No, i don't have specialfx.tec.. It's not needed, it's hardcoded..Don't know if it loads it, if it's there. (wow, what a sentence,i got i-fit's)

I couldn't find anything wrong with that GDB, everything looked fine. I can't think of anything else but windows meddling, Vista/win7 had some issues with editing files inside "program files" folders as they are protected? (confirmation required)..

Many thanks for your time.
Seems like the only way to change anything is to redo the part at base - BTB, export again to GTL and Race and redo the hat file by doing the hat lap in GTL to reload in Race. It seems to be linked with that hat file.
I can tell you that when experimenting its a bit long.
As for Vista protecting files that would not surprise me at all.

After every change on the terrain surfaces you need to rebuilt the HAT file, because this file controls how the tires react on surfaces. you all probably know how the car "floats" if you forget the HAT file :)

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back