• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Featured Race Track Builder goes to Steam Greenlight

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by Brendon Pywell, May 24, 2015.

1. Tobbe Bergman

Tobbe Bergman
    Banned

Ratings:
    +106
    54,99€ :)

2. Simon Dove

Simon Dove

Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased. Thank you!

3. jay_p_666

jay_p_666

Ratings:
    +2
    As a donator and long term supporter of Bobs Track Builder for years (I'm the maker of one of the biggest xpack for BTB, the Great Britain Xpack), I can't recommend Race Track Builder as of now. It's still very early in the process and the price tag is way too high for the amount of features you get. What you get basically is an unfinished prototype not working most of the time, with limited features that doesn't work as they should (especially track merging which is just a cheap trick). Software support is the worst I've ever seen, I've gently asked for help and got ignored before getting permanently banned... that's not how you treat your average customers. It was the same with BTB (which got splitted into two different versions exporting to different games so you have to buy it twice)...Brendon disappeared for years without updating it as it seems this guy is more concerned about climate change and your cash than anything else. If you want to be treated as a cash pig go for it, but don't expect any gratitude or support in return for your hard earned money!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JokkerHD

JokkerHD

Ratings:
    +25
    @jay_p_666 Its not done and he has said its early in development. Although I agree the price is a little high, give it time and this software will blossom.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ebrich

ebrich
    Premium

Ratings:
    +76
    @jay_p_666. I am all for constructive critisism but apart from telling us that "you do not recommend" and the "price is too high" (how many times have we heard that about BTB over the years) your little rant actually does not tell us anything about RTB.

It sounds more like a "critique" of the author, of RTB, rather than a "critique" of the software.

Did you taste the cake before you passed judgement?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brendon Pywell

Brendon Pywell
    Bob's Track Builder

Ratings:
    +156
    Spamming my inbox and facebook accounts is not my idea of "gentle". You have been quite rude and demanding in your conversations to me and I don't tolerate that behaviour. You seem to think your opinions and ideas are more important than anyone else's and your constant emails are irritating. If you lived in my country I'd be seeking a restraining order.

• Like Like x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  7. jay_p_666

jay_p_666

Ratings:
    +2
    @Brendon Pywell I have sent you something like six message in the past six months (which you all ignored) and two yesterday and never sent you same message twice, I wouldn't go as far as calling this spamming. The first one was a suggestion in case you would like to support a game with a link to github about open source code figuring out the file format then you removed me as friend on facebook...then the last one I've asked "gently" if you will support in the future export to RBR RX Plugin on facebook comment but it was off-topic (my mistake) so you deleted my message and edited your post adding offenders will be deleted?! so I've posted it on a proper topic then you banned me from official RTB page which I found pretty harsh...so I asked you if you have a problem with me in private (I don't see what is irritating in this) and you blocked me. I just purchased RTB it's normal I'm asking if a feature being the main reason I was using BTB for will be in...it was a yes or no answer which would have take you a second to reply. About emailing you, I've not sent you a single email at least in the past six years (easy to figure out as I stopped using BTB not long after meeting my wife) and I don't think my opinions are better than others, that's highly suggestive on your side. Wow about the restraining order part, I'm speechless.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Alberto Montanari

Alberto Montanari

Ratings:
    +14
    I understand that it's frustrating when you don't get any reply. I'm sure Brendon will improve the customer service, in way that everyone get the appropriate answers, when the questions are polite.
    just few bits on RTB:
    it's an early access program, so missing things and broken things are the standard.

What I would like to see:
    -more control over the terrain; if I rise the road the terrain still remain on the same height. would be nice if I can lock the terrain height to the portion of the track that I move.
    -I would like to have a proper metric/imperial measure for road length; If I take measurements to a real track, I would like to put the exact meters into the road options.
    -carve option in way to create tunnels
    -mesh editor. would be nice if I can create basic buildings or shapes directly inside the RTB. they are helpeful for a early testing. Then you can substitute them witha proper 3d model.
    -faster terrain recalculation: considering the amount of terrain to recalculate, it's already quite fast, but I would prefer a faster reshaping: when I will put 3d models over the terrain, I can imagine the whole terrain recalculation will take even longer.
    -possibility to move objects on the X,Y,Z axis, without linking the object to the terrain.
    -possibility to move the track on the X,Y,Z axis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,210
    I purchased the program on the day it was released and it certainly is a very clever piece of software :thumbsup:

Like others have mentioned above I was totally lost for the first twenty minutes of using it. There is no help file documentation or guidance of any kind, apart from help for setting up the Google Maps data which you have to do via setting up a Google account, linking API's and copying various bits of data across. I'm glad there is a help page for that otherwise I think I would have started to cry! :roflmao:

I've used various pieces of 3D software (Lightwave, Cinema 4D, 3DS) and the control mechanisms are similar but there is nothing to tell you when to press CTRL or Shift and what mouse buttons to use.

Like others have mentioned it's still early days and I found the BTB YouTube videos excellent and very useful so hopefully over a period of time these will appear for race track builder.

I work too many hours but if I get chance to make some basic tracks (kart tracks for example) I'll post some tutorials on here to help people if they like :)

My concern is that if people purchase this on Steam, load it up and are presented with a blank screen and two buttons on it they will start to demand refunds, it's not a click and play sort of design tool.

Please, please don't think of this as criticism, it truly isn't. I'm a patient learner who can gladly spend hours in front of a PC figuring out why X does Z and A does B but others may be more critical.

As @Alberto Montanari has mentioned above this is still early stages software, more to come which I look forward to in the coming months :)

10. Tobbe Bergman

Tobbe Bergman
    Banned

Ratings:
    +106
    When I see the first nice track for Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa I will buy the program !

11. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Yeah I think the program in it's current state is perfect for creating that sort of track :thumbsup:

12. mknorr

mknorr

Ratings:
    +1
    I just bought my copy! Thanks Piddy!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andrea Glass

Andrea Glass

Ratings:
    +1
    I've just bought it but unfortunately I asked for a refund as there's no way to use it. Where I used to work to design tracks Steam connections are banned so there's no way to use it as it can be done only through that game plattform. Even that, I tried to installit at home, where I don't have too much time to work on it, buat at least to test, and I couldn't select a working directory, and the program use the one it wants, and this is disk C: which is a saturated SSD disk, good to start but not to store.

I think I should be chained to BTB for a long time, after all the hopes I've put on RTB. Well, at least if I receive the new licence as this time it's lasting more than usual.

I'll be checking from time to time to see if there's a way to be free of Steam and to select the working directory. If this day arrives, I'll buy it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lee Knight

Lee Knight

Ratings:
    +242
    And folks wonder why I detest the monopolization of the gaming industry via such a system as Steam AND choose to vote with my money by refusing to use it, even if it means I miss out on awesome software such as RTB.
    YES, there SHOULD be other avenues left open for those that either refuse or simply can not use Steam as well.
    F#$% Steam!

15. neteye

neteye

Ratings:
    +22
    I don't have RTB, so i don't know if, or rather, why it should be different, but when i want install a game via steam, there is always the possibility to select the location where to install the game, besides other options (creating desktop shortcuts etc.)

16. Andrea Glass

Andrea Glass

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know why it's different, but it is.

I'm the first one wanting to install it in the disk I like, but during the installation proccess, it let me choose a folder, but after selecting it, the default one stayed selected. I tried several times, and I couldn't install it in the desired folder.

My BTB folder is over 9 Gb. and it doesn't include any exports, just my Projects and the XPacks, and I can't free a similar space in my SSD unit for RTB. I'm allways working in a lot of tracks, and I'm making lots of XPacks, and I'm sure in a not far future, the RTB folder should exceed the available space.

Apart from this, the need to start Steam made impossible for me to use RTB outside home, and that's another limitation to the available time to make tracks.

It's a pity. Maybe some day I'll be able to buy RTB the same way I bought BTB. At least the BTB new licence arrived, I checked last night and it was there, but the mail went directly to GMail's Spam folder, and that's why I didn't knew it had been issued. And the refund from Steam was also made.

• Like Like x 1
  17. neteye

neteye

Ratings:
    +22
    Yeah, i also have that to small SSD problem, so i can perfectly understand that... the directory problem is a mystery then and i cant help with that either :(

18. Andrea Glass

Andrea Glass

Ratings:
    +1
    That's a point, true. But do you know a way to run the program outside Steam banned on my working location?

If you do I would renounce to the refund as it still hasn't been effective after two weeks.

It's really dissapointing as I have to start making Baku Street Circuit and Race Track Builder was easier to do it, but I think I'll have to use old BTB once again. There's so many buoldings already made in Google Earth, but I'll download then from 3D Warehouse and place them in the classic way.

19. HalfMoonRider

HalfMoonRider

Ratings:
    +11
    Can anyone say, how would be possible to transform these RTB-projects to Richard Burns rally? Am I right that you have to own that "Wallaby"-program? If so, is there any possibility to get that program anywhere, because I can't find that even after I googled it for many times :(

I have a couple projects in good shape already (not ready by far of course), but so far I can test those stages only in Assetto Corsa, and at least in this day AC don't have gravel physics, so it is very fustrating to do those stages because i don't have any proper game to test those with :/

For the RTB-program, I have to say that i'm very glad with it and it is very easy to use (even it's not ready yet). But as I say, so far I can't get much of fun of it, because I can't drive those stages with any game :( And yes, i'm from Finland and I prefer to drive in gravel, I have zero interest to drive in asphalt ;)

• Like Like x 1