Race #6, Austria: Checks Post-Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if I had the power to change rules, I'd change the 101.5% laptime rule to 100.5% sector time rule; and if there was oversteer involved before leaving the track, no cut. Oversteer is never planned and it's always great show to see drivers do epic saves. This way the rule is I think very well defined and objective for the penalties.
If you are oversteering enough to get a penalty maybe you need to change your driving, setup, or even just let up a bit for the lap.

I don't think our rules are very strict. Hopefully in the future we will allow engineers on the server that will be able to tell drivers that they are cutting/extending too much.

i think the majority agrees that its good the way it is. Rietveld once lost his first win because he cutted too much. Lets switch subjects shall we?
Can turtles smile?
old-turtle%20%282%29.jpg

yes they can!
Even if you are not team mates you can fall out.
2 turtles divorce after 115 years together.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rce-115-YEARS-despite-couple-counselling.html

It's not that hard to follow the given set rules at any given time. If it changes to what you suggested then fine, we should adhere to that. But don't break the current rules and then cry all victim because you just weren't careful enough, or basically don't agree with the current rule.

Guys it was not about crying about the rules after having them broken, it was about the rule which is making the following things equal:
- running wide a little bit on purpose gaining 1 tenth
- getting big oversteer, barely catching the car, losing 1 second
- being forced off the track to grass, losing 5 seconds and pitting at the end of the lap

It's all counted as a cut, and in common sense cut is a cut if someone gains time/position. And again, rules are rules but people make rules and if a rule can be improved, it should be improved.

We do have to enforce a set of basic guidelines otherwise its not necessary for an admin to be here.
If we sometimes turn an eye on a cut because one driver had oversteer and lost time bla bla then the next race another 10 drivers will claim the same because of that one example.
As long as we turn our eyes to the basic rules then it will just get messy.
The track is defined by 2 white lines on each side of the black stuff ( tarmac )
Get more than 2 wheels over one of those 2 lines and you are not within track limits.
There are reasons why you would never hear Bono House or Morang la France about thesematters.
Rules are rules indeed and its not that we have freaking gearbox +25 grid places + 10 sec sNg during races.
It has to be fair for everyone i mean what is next?
de Jong asking for his opponents to carry an extra 25kg because its not fair anymore.
Come on.

Guys it was not about crying about the rules after having them broken, it was about the rule which is making the following things equal:
- running wide a little bit on purpose gaining 1 tenth
- getting big oversteer, barely catching the car, losing 1 second
- being forced off the track to grass, losing 5 seconds and pitting at the end of the lap

It's all counted as a cut, and in common sense cut is a cut if someone gains time/position. And again, rules are rules but people make rules and if a rule can be improved, it should be improved.

You speak a lot of sense here. The only problem is that it's mid-season now and rules will not be changed I bet. The easiest way, as some have suggested, is to make the rule 101.5% per sector - so around 0.45 seconds for a 30 second sector, which is not too much to ask to slow down. For sector 1 at Austria it would have been around a ridiculous 0.25 seconds to slow down, so that's basically a full lift and re-accelerate.

The current system is a bit harsh if you think about it. Say if we were using a Spa that was working - if you run wide at Pouhon, and your best lap time is 1:50, you need to slow down 1.65 seconds over the lap. The same scenario at Red Bull Ring, run wide at T8 on a 1:08 lap, you only need to slow down by 1.02 seconds, for basically the same infringement, but it's still a lot.

Maybe the most fair way would be by saying slow down 0.4 seconds on the sector you did it alone, so that it's uniform for all extends/cuts.

Last edited:
1- running wide a little bit on purpose gaining 1 tenth
2- getting big oversteer, barely catching the car, losing 1 second
3- being forced off the track to grass, losing 5 seconds and pitting at the end of the lap

Jernej.
I agree that its silly that as per your point 3 where you have to take to the grass to avoid someone or have a big moment and leave the track is automatically a cut if it's on an out or in-lap. I agree that this can be improved.
Your point 1, is a cut.
Your point 2, if time is lost through this error then no probs it will be outside 101.5%. If it doesnt quite lose 1.5% we need to ensure it does. If we allow any cut simply because it doesnt gain time we open ourselves to a situation where drivers can find a cut that makes the lap easier, less risky under brakes, less tyre wear etc and simply ignore the track limits as its more convenient and reliable. It would be allowed if it wasnt faster.
One example would be turn 9 and turn 11-12 at Albert Park. If the rule was "no time gained=no cut" we can simply cruise through the escape road at 9 and at 11-12. Save brakes and tyre wear and just manage our lap time for 40 laps and it would be legal.
So I agree on point 3 but not on point 2. We all have to keep our car on the racing surface. The driver who can do it the fastest is the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back