1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Race 07 Racing Club 2.0 (Must Read!)

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Dennis Phelan, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

The Racing Club restructured!
    Being one of the core racing features on RaceDepartment, the Racing Club is something that we keep close to our heart. To make sure it stays lively we've decided to review and restructure the clubs and get them more consistent.

"How?" you say. Well, by introducing a new type of schedule and keeping track of the results. The latter is made possible by our new in-house software - RaceLog - developed by Stefan Mizzi. Make sure you read the frontpage article about RaceLog before you continue reading.

The new Racing Club features
    1. One week. One track. Same car(s). A week in the Racing Club will be centered around one track and the same selection of cars - usually one, but sometimes more per class or multi-class - with races going off on a daily basis at 19:00 GMT. The races have a length of 22-80 minutes and are preceded by a qualifying session. You can practice online all day long, except during the daily event.
    2. Practice makes perfect. These new horizontally planned events allow for drivers to get used to the car and tracks over the period of a week. No need for stressfully trying to get your laps in to prepare for this one-time, never-again event. Now you can take all that you learn in the one event and put it to practise in the next. You decide when you practice and you decide when your race. You don't have to miss out if you have to work late that one night.

3. Moving up the ranks. Now that all the results get logged by RaceLog we keep track of everyone's progress and so can you... The better your results, the more ranking points you will score. How much points you score (or lose) depends on how your ranking points compare to those of your opponents and what position everyone finishes in. Lower ranked drivers will gain more by winning than high ranked drivers. The opposite is true for losing points. Beat the best and lead our ranks!

4. Finish your races! Wondering if you should hit that ESC button? Don't! Making it to the finish line is rewarding and we strongly encourage you to do so. Scoring a DNF (Did Not Finish) will result in a ranking points penalty that you really don't need.

5. To rank or not to rank. Everybody that drives in the Racing Club gets ranked, however the ranking will not affect what races you can join in the Racing Club. The clubs are open for all our Licensed Members. If you don't want to worry about your points, simply don't pay attention to them. You are just as welcome!

6. What about illegal content? Na-ah! :thumbsdown:

Edited buy staff to reflect changes in the Race 07 Club 10-27-13

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

No comments yet? I really need help here people, nothing is cast in stone and I do want to present races that drivers will show up for. So far only the WTCC has been picked and a schedule for it put out. It can and will probably change but given that there is going to be a change, help make it a good change.

I cannot do everything you might suggest but I can listen.

3. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

I preferred it the way it was Dennis. Its more organised and we had a good idea of the grid we'd be racing with. This new format is a bit hit and miss. It has its pro's and cons like anything, just not my cuppa. Having said that, if things change I won't be going anywhere :D real racing isn't organised this way so why should simulated racing? Race 07 club was/is pretty healthy! If it ain't broke, why fix it?

4. I can't see the format working TBH, I recall the race club trying this a while back, just leaves empty servers!
    I think seeing others signed up to an event gives those pondering a push to signup rather than seeing nothing at all..

The problem is people want to race full grids! and it's tough enough getting signups in the current format. and this drop in as you please will effect the racing and not for the better..
    I can't see it working TBH and it's the same view from about 4 of my team mates!

BUT I could be wrong and very much hope I am..:)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

The, "Hey @john doe, come join me tonight!" may help to get populated grids.

I'm really looking for indications as to which other cars we should drive, maybe just roll thru more of the classes than we have been?

6. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

for me i prefer the way it was but i understand that it is alot of work for you Dennis but i beleive that there is some alternatives to reduce your work load and keep us the members satisfied. my suggestions are the following, use the same track for the entire week either a default track or add-on track, as for the sign up list maintenance instead of you doing all the work it could be done as follow, post the event details in one post and the sign up list in a second post, from there people that want to sign up for the event copy the sign up list and add there name to it and so on for evebody that sign up for the event that way you don't have to maintain the list, less work for you and for us it doesn't make a big difference since we already have to post that we want to sign up.

on a side note its our racing club and its not only Dennis responsabilities to make the racing happen its also ours, what i mean is that nothing forbid someone to suggest an event to Dennis and if he likes it for you to do the work behind closed door like i do with the V8 Supercars IronMan events, in the end Dennis only have to post what i have prepared and set the server. the GTL racing club work that way Rupe don't do all the work alot of guy's are involved in the club either its just testing and/or organising full events or leagues, that system have alot of good sides, it makes people have a closer relationship, have more respect for each other in and out of the track, the club is more interesting cause we race combo that real interest us rather then combos that are some kind forced on us.

thats my views on things :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

That's what makes me feel it's less organised and more casual racing. My feeling is the grids will become more watered down and random rather than organised and fuller grids, but....... if that's the way the powers that be want it, then so be it. I'm sure if it all doesn't work out we can revert back to something?

8. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson
    Keep Yoga real Premium Member

Yes that is true Yves without the help of the drivers from GTL in helping in the testing and doing prep work to help me i would struggle to give the guys what they want.
    We have a real good community in gtl all helping out were they can
    But you have to think about a few things when looking for an event, look at your fastest drivers and slowest it has be drivable for all, That is one of the reasons we have moved onto the track being used over a longer period to help the slower guys or guys who don't have as much time to practice to get used to a track.
    We have seen the benefits from this over the month with all the times getting closer and the racing getting much better.

I have my 2 server set up with default cars form 2 classes to and 2 different tracks
    each week we pick different cars from the class to race but all can be used out of the official race days if wanted, i like our 2 fixed days for racing but you will often find guys practising for the events on other night also so we have a nice mixture to keep us all busy.
    i will still be running our Endurance Events and time Attack in between this
    and hope to get the league up and running also over the winter..

In all honesty we don't as yet have enough drivers to race every night with a big grid although that would be nice. I don't think i could do it every night, i like some free night to race other events and fit in a small social life( that's a laugh)
    i also think its important to have a staff member or a person in charge on the server when there is a race.

I am open to all options but look at what my drivers want and try to fit it all in to get the best out of the system and use what we have to offer at RD to the full.
    I don't think were ready for Racelog just yet but once we are it could be fun.
    I wonder if drivers will loose some of the gentleman's racing spirit once we do start . i hope not. I want big full grids and quality racing over the month.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen
    Premium Member

I think there is nothing much changed! This whole week same car/track combo is for the RaceLog fans.

Read before :cry:!

Note: There are no ranked sessions on Monday, Wednesday and Friday as on those days other cars may have their official races. :D

Mini friday is not gone. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. 4 8 15 16 23 42 108

4 8 15 16 23 42 108
    Only the 5th-most famous race driver from Kerpen Premium Member

So the Race club events now have changed their days?
    Anyone doing WTCC in this week?

11. H34d5h07

H34d5h07
    No money, no team racing.

This is something I wont support. Sorry, but, I'm honestly dead tired of the default content. Doing an random event, from time to time, that I can do. I wish the were more modded tracks/cars, on a weekly basis. Not just one or two per month.

12. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen
    Premium Member

@everyone: What car/track/race length combo had you in mind. :thumbsdown:...

13. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

Just happy racing :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  14. 4 8 15 16 23 42 108

4 8 15 16 23 42 108
    Only the 5th-most famous race driver from Kerpen Premium Member

WTCC 2013 on tracks they ran the last years would be fun!

15. jimortality

jimortality
    Premium Member

If my car is on the side of the track, how do I not dnf as I'll have to waii till the end of the race just sat waiting or as in my first attempt, I hit escape.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    • Haha Haha x 1
  16. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Why would you park your car on the side of the track? Just race.:thumbsup:

Parking will be classified as a DNF as well as you don't match the race distance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. jimortality

jimortality
    Premium Member

No no, I'm not parking there by choice, I couldn't get my car started after spinning out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

@Jim Brailsford , ESC will certainly give you a dnf.
    If you are going to sit and wait for an event to finish the place to bring the car is to the pit stall,. You can wait there till the end and then cross the line, laps down.
    If the car is disabled, the best thing to do is to ESC and remove it from view and any chance of it distracting other drivers. I don't quite know what a dnf will do in a rated race, in the past a dnf of less than 75% of race laps would get no score but overall it has little to do with a rating. Normally, drivers ESC out of the race and follow it in the timing or monitor screens.

The only benefit to not hitting ESC is that you can use the keypad + / - to see how the other drivers are doing and get to see their rpm, speed and gear info. Once you have left the cockpit, in monitor mode, you can see the race from their cockpit but not the info!

19. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

To avoid that you can use the auto clutch feature or assign start and ignition buttons. If it then still doesn't start the engine it was damaged too much and is a DNF.

20. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

Posted that while Bram was writing. @Jim Brailsford again, to stop that from happening you can select automatic clutch[not gearbox]. You will be able to use the clutch on the start but the motor will not die when you spin off. Once you get better at pressing the clutch when you spin out you can set it back!