RACE 07 Offline Version Patch

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
In this discussion a bug occured in the offline install that is fixed with the steam patch recently.

How come there is still no patch released for the offline versions of RACE 07. It's promised a year ago that it will be released soon.

I might have missed it completely since the official forum is not up anymore, but is the offline patch delivered already?

• daRock

That's a sad thing, then, for you. Because that suggests that all the kids in your family must steal, or you think they do. Who taught them? Sad.....

But also more to the subject.

Would I want what Simbin's done so far with the STEAM patches for my offline install?

Not on your life. That effort has been almost as sad as the idea that almost every kid today is a thief and too dumb to know the thievery will take his toys from him some day.

Presently, my offline install keeps my Profile's Record laps. They aren't sorted, since Simbin either took that code out or lost it along about Race07 time. And they still updated the numbers in the profile identity's Career.blt record if I happened to run in other than Custom class events. And they left the page in the user's interface that provided access to that information. I'm like a lot of other users, I like to see what my times are at different tracks in different cars. That info still is kept in my offline, albeit not very tidily.

That info also used to be saved in the STEAM install. But with one of the last patches, they quit updating the lap times into the career.blt and quit keeping track of everything. But they did leave the buttons that allow you to get to that data. Which isn't there now. Not exactly a very professional look to that.

And about the time they lost/quit doing the counts and records, they also lost their grip on your Favorite setup. That happened with one of the early patches. Because recently they seem to have started doing it again. Once more, not a professional look to that.

What they remind me of was observed in my career. Newbie programmers did just exactly that kind of chaotic coding/testing their first year. If they were talented, they tightened up within about a year. Many of the less talented bumbled along for another year. If they didn't get a clue after that long, I'd usually swap them to another team for one of their freshmen. I'd pick one out who I noticed stayed late and asked questions. They had potential. And darned if the swaps didn't pay off 100% of the time.

• daRock

Don't live under a rock.

Nice of you guys to be so kind in your opinions of someone who feels that people who steal are bottom feeders.

Sad too that all the kids you know are either liars or thieves or both. I'm sure your children will make you very proud. Guess I live in an entirely different world of values.

And I just noticed that this forum supports copyright infringement. I see now why you guys believe the world is populated entirely by dishonest people.

It actually isn't.

And I just noticed that this forum supports copyright infringement. I see now why you guys believe the world is populated entirely by dishonest people.

I dont think that, just to make it clear. I am very much again pirating cd's, dvd's, games and what ever more.

Art needs to be bought, as a respect to the creator...

They must call you daRock because you've been living under one :laugh2:

(lol sorry I couldn't resist)

You are crossing a line here mate, joke or not

Show me one kid who hasn't stolen an MP3, a movie, or a piece of software.......

And I'll show you a liar :wink2:

If that is true you should consider moving to another city, that would be extremely sad. I know from experience (working with kids) that you are wrong with that statement. A decent parent teaches their kids not to steal!

Don't live under a rock.

Nice of you guys to be so kind in your opinions of someone who feels that people who steal are bottom feeders.

Sad too that all the kids you know are either liars or thieves or both. I'm sure your children will make you very proud. Guess I live in an entirely different world of values.

It actually isn't.

I apologize for the "rock" comment. Was trying to be funny with a little pun, but I guess it was too much.

I apologize.

Sorry, I don't have any kids of my own. But the ones I know think they are "entitled" to have music or movies or games without paying for them. And yes it is sad.

And please do not say "you guys"..... These are my opinions and mine alone. It's not fair to paint everyone on this forum with my opinions.

And NO this forum DOES NOT support copyright infringement OF ANY KIND. Think about what today's date is and then you will understand the thread you are referring to :)

• daRock

Sorry, didn't open the document.

Why would I have? The first half of my career was software development. Torrent downloads of unreleased software isn't something I'm going to jump right on.

If that is true you should consider moving to another city, that would be extremely sad. I know from experience (working with kids) that you are wrong with that statement. A decent parent teaches their kids not to steal!

Piracy is much higher than many people realise. Piracy is easy, just log on to a torrent site to see that, and look at the download numbers.
Kids in school trade pirate music all the time, sometimes games and software. They sure did at my school. I wont lie, I've done it too.
That's why businesses try so hard to stop it.

The only time i venture into 'illegal' activities is when i look for No-CD/DVD fixes (aka cracks). I bought the game(s), i installed them, i shouldn't need the disc after that unless i want to 1. update my game, and/or 2. reinstall. Less usage of my game discs means fewer chances i'll scratch/damage them (or my DVD drive).

• Grant Osborne

I don't want to get too off topic, but I would like to comment on the issue of people stealing software. I work for an IT company developing email management solutions and we see this all the time.

The problem seems to be that these individuals don't actually recognise what they are doing as stealing, and they don't see themselves as thieves. As the internet has evolved there is a perception held by many people that they should just be able to download stuff for free and they won't accept the view that they are actually stealing.

There's an attitude that if it's available on the internet, it's perfectly OK to get it free if you can find a way to do that.

So it's a sad fact that we spend many hours developing solutions that are sought-after and in many cases needed, and then you have to combat these people who think they have some god-given right to just grab it and use it without compensating you for your effort and time.

If it were a physical object, someone else's physical property, most of them wouldn't think of picking it up and walking off with it as they would perceive THAT as stealing.

It's sad but true.

Grant.

Absolutely true.

Software, or any digital piece of work is "immaterial". You can visualize yourself stealing an apple alright. But when it's just "stuff" for your computer, and that it magically comes into the hard disk with a few clicks, it's quite an understandable feeling, that people have.

You can't really touch a software. And what you can't touch, can you steal it?

I work as a freelance photographer. Which means that I'm very concerned about copyrights. I sometimes get my pictures "stolen" and published without receiving a single phone call from those guys. They just don't see the copyrights floating in the air somewhere.

That's why all those track conversions make me sick. When I see Brno (GTR2) converted into rFactor, it makes me sad. Even with a check, the check is just a joke. So easily removed and reuploaded somewhere else, checkfree.

-----------------------------

About offline patch, I also read that it would be released soon. I think I read that on virtualr.net...

Maybe we'll get it to prepare for race on. Not long before the release of the new addon. Would be quite logical, actually.

Also, I don't understand why people do not use the online version. Is it only because of Steam? Come on... What is it about Steam that causes such reactions? I mean it's quite a good piece of software !

• Grant Osborne

I think this may be the patch discussed in this thread. GTR Evolution Offline patch version 1.2.0.1. It's in the menu on the right hand side of the screen, I installed it and it upgraded my offline install, and so far seems to be fine.

http://www.gtr-evolution.com/

Grant.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%