Race #07, Monaco: Post-Race Discussion

Honestly, be it simracing or any kind of gaming - known bugs should always be addressed and taken care of as soon as humanly possible. I think anyone with their right mind knows that you´re supposed to keep the car between the walls, but in a hectic situation sometimes your car may "end up" a few inches too far and you make slight contact. It definitely shouldn´t end up in a carnage like in Kerkhof´s case for example.

Otherwise I found the track to be okay, altho´ im not the best judge as I have no experience on the previous version(s).

I hate to say it, but I told you so

Told us what exactly though? That you guarantee that once the drivers fill up in the server there will be random CTDs. And while racing, you are bound to snick a wall somewhere and it will destroy your car.

None of this happened, no CTD's at all and the amount of related DNF's due to the walls all weekend where about 3%, the other 97% dnf's where related to driver's own mistakes / incidents or car failures.

The track was fine all weekend, run great on the server, the only issue's where typical Monaco issue's which we see at every version of Monaco each year in FSR.

No CTDs is good but 3% of issues for a track people essentially pay for 3% too much.

Let's just say I would never run it (plus it's an illegal track to the highest degree).

As a tournament organiser you should always do your level best to eliminate foreseeable bugs; this was not done, and for me that's not professional.

...DNF's due to the walls all weekend where about 3%, the other 97% dnf's where related to driver's own mistakes / incidents or car failures.

Well really 3%? I can only say in WC we had 5 or 6, due to crashes caused by the walls (and others who suffered because of crashes, because of walls) and this makes it at least 27% in WC. I doubt you will get anywhere near 3% with already that high number in WC.

I am cooled down now, as I was really angry after the race for a couple of hours, but I still can't understand it. It's just as Joona said, a hectic situation, maybe a fight, you can get caught up there so quickly and therefore it is absolutly a NO-GO for me, how this track was run by FSR, a buggy track, for the league, which claims to be #1. Especially at Monaco, where it's already a dance on a razor blade. But yea I don't need to repeat myself on and on.

GP4 tracks have been legal since end of last year after a letter to IPM. ;)

No need for your attitude Borna, it's not like you ever finish any races (the ones you turn up for that is.....)

Anyway, this is not a pissing contest, I'm just saying I disagree with the decision of using Monaco (the legality is entirely secondary as it is on that person's head), as the responsibility of a series organiser is to make things run as smooth as possible and control the controllable, which wasn't done here.

I'm not trying to criticise FSR in general (you still have easily the best group of drivers outside of iRacing), it's just on this particular issue that I find the decision making perplexing.

Feel sorry for the guys who were taken out by my crash. I hit something sticking out of the wall! Then I wanted to exit as soon as I could so I pressed esc, but thats not enough, U also need to click 'Exit to Monitor'... When im driving my mouse isnt easily accesable.. Sorry Lukas!

I'm in the same boat with Raino. I think it added some realism into the racing knowing that you couldn't really touch those walls. Some laps I got pretty close to that T3 one and told myself not to get that close anymore :)

LOL dont come with this realistic bs talk lol,.. you seen the crash from Perez, that car vears off from the barier it doest get grabbed by it thats what we mean. The car comes to an absolute stop causing verry dangerous situation as you have seen at WC yesterday. Should have been avoided.

Anyway lets move on to Canada now all has been said i guess.

I don't want to create a flame war here, but some things need to be clarified.

Firstly, there were no invisible walls. Yes, there were some invisible gaps, but it has been said already here - drivers were aware of this and they knew that you have to avoid walls, and it's almost like that in real lifs. It was up to the drives either to push hard and risk with a DNF or go with a slower and more secure pace - Just like it has been always at Monaco. And still, the track was a lot wider, mod had more downforce and the track was in general more easy to drive than in last years.

Invisible gaps caused problems, but not quite much. Crashes always happen in Monaco. I looked at the results of last years WC race. In 2010 there were 16 DNF's (3 of them on 1st lap) out of 25 drivers (2 DQ's weren't under the DNF), it makes 64% of the drivers had to retire . In 2009 there were 15 DNF's (4 of them on 1st lap) out of 25 drivers, which makes it about 60%. And this year, there were 12 DNF's (5 of them on the 1st lap) out of 18 drivers, which makes it 66% of the drivers retired. So the percentage of DNF's has been similar past 3 years, it was a bit bigger this year, but there was a bigger 1st lap incident as well, which wasn't caused by track bug. I remember that only Atze crashed into the invisible gap in WC, and no offence, but it was his fault as he turned in too early.

Roualts crash was partly his fault - probably he was concentrating on other things rather than the wall. There was a little gap in the wall, where he crashed (picture 1, picture 2). There was a gap in 2009 in real life as well, but a little bit different - picture. It was up to the drivers to be aware of that kind of gaps, as they are clearly visible. That gap there was more like a feature, not a bug.

As of how illegal this track is - Yes, this illegal and other such tracks have been used by SimBin for quite a time. But so has other leagues and racing club events here in Racedepartment used SimBin, NFS: Shift, F1 '10 tracks or other illegal tracks in leagues. Both GP4 and F1C tracks are legal to convert. GP4 tracks because the company went to bankrupt I think and Geoff said many-many years ago that it's ok to use GP4 work in other games. Converting F1C stuff is legal, because it's a ISI game as well, so in their own intrest it's legal.

To sum it up - Yes, there were bugs, but all of them couldn't be fixed in time due to some reasons. But then again, it wasn't that hard to avoid these walls. It seems some drivers were a bit spoilt by the amount of wallriding it was possible to do in last years, but wasn't this year. So I don't think the track was that much of a problem, it was Monaco and it has been always hard for many drivers, while some are in the world of their own in Monaco. For myself, driving was a lot easier than last year, maybe even too easy for Monaco.

The race was good to watch and congratulations to Bono, Fredrik and Patrick. Only too bad that Patrick had a problem in the pits, otherwise it would have end up like in real Monaco GP, where 3 drivers were fighting for the victory.

In the meantime Ondrej has made a post, and I must say that our views are quite same on this subject.

Ondrej before you make posts like that you better think first about what you are saying my friend. Ofcourse the post have been edited and another post from someone else pointing it out is removed how suprisingly. Aparantly its not possible to have a normal discussion here, very poor,.. very poor.

And Liam Dennis, great job commentating keep on going with that its good!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back