Race 07 - Cannot run/obtain dedicated server

Graham Laing

Retired Staff
Hi

I posted this in the Steam forum, with no reply yet, and though that I may have more success here ....... hopefully :)

BTW I have read the pdf file available from this website, which walks you through setting up a dedicated server.

I have a bit of a problem with Race 07 dedicated server, and steam, running on Window 7 Pro x64 bit.

In my game library I have :-

Race 07
STCC 2
GT Power Expansion

When I go to the Steam > Tools Menu, there is no Race 07 dedicated server listed for downloading/installing. The closest I can get is :-

GTR Evolution Demo Dedicated Server
Race On - Demo: Dedicated Server
STCC The Game Demo Dedicated Server

So there no dedicated server files associated with either race 07, STCC2, or GT Power Expansion.

If I browse to my Steam Install > steamapps > MyAccountName > Race07 folder, there is a :-

RaceDedicatedServer_Steam.exe

If I try to run it directly, I get a Steam.dll is missing error.

So I assume that the dedicated server must be run via Steam, yet it's not actually available for me to run/install via Steam.

Has anyone any ideas on how to resolve this please?

BTW there is no race07ds folder (probably because it's not installed by steam yet)

Can the dedicated server files be downloaded from elsewhere on the net perhaps, from a trusted/official source, so I can run it on a non-playing machine on my LAN?

Thanks

An update from Steam Ticket ...

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).

Delete all of the files in this folder except:

The \Steamapps\ folder and Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)

Restart your computer.

Then, launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.

With Steam running, re-test the original issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

If the issue persists, make sure your network is optimized for Steam:

Title: Troubleshooting Network Connectivity
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

My reply .......

Hi

Unfortunately this did not work, though I do wish I switched Steamguard off first!

Prior to your reply, I had already gone through your network connectivity pages, but I checked once again. Though why any network problem would prevent just ONE application showing up in the Steam > Tools menu escapes me.

All the correct ports are open on my router, and I don't have any of the particularly 'bad' applications installed on my system. Of the other applications that can effect network connectivity, I have a few installed (3 I think), NONE of these applications are running either in the foreground or background.

In fact after the first attempt at your procedure, I wiped the slate clean again, ran MSCONFIG to prevent a few applications starting with Windows, like my antivirus/firewall (Vipre), Catalyst Control Panel etc. Then I rebooted the PC in SAFE MODE with NETWORKING, and double checked what processes were running, there was a bare minimum running, in fact there were only 23 out of a normal 58 processes running.

Once again, it made no difference to the outcome. The RACE07 dedicated server files are NOT available for me to download via the Tools menu. I know that other people do have the tool available to them in that menu, and have installed it.

Attached are 2 jpgs of my Steam Application, the Installed List, and the Tools Menu.

I really don't know what to try next, I had high hopes for your fix, and worries about deleting so many folders ...... ;)

So all is back to where we started

Regards

Resolved ......

Hi .......

The issue is now resolved, though they do not say it, there must have been some sort of Steam configuration error.

The race 07 dedicated server is now in the Tools menu, and it runs without crashing .....

My thanks to those that replied :)

5 Message by Support Tech Dominic on Thu, 5th May 2011 6:55 pm
Hello,

We are investigating this issue further. As soon as we have more information, we will update your ticket.

6 Message by Support Tech Dominic on Mon, 9th May 2011 6:50 pm
Hello,

Please restart Steam, this issue should now be resolved.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back