Race 07 - BTCC super touring series. Good idea or not?

I have just had an idea but I want to run it through with all of you first. What about running a BTCC series using the super touring mod and recreate the 1997 or 1998 season by doing the race calender (1998 season: Thruxton rounds 1 and 2, Silverstone rounds 3 and 4 etc etc and doing sprint and feature races).

All of the race tracks used in the 98 season can be downloaded (oulton park hasn't got fosters layout) so it's easy to recreate.

Please tell me you opinions no matter how good/bad this idea is.

I suggest use the WTCC87 cars plus the Volvo 850 from STCC2:

I suggest use every UK track possible (this avoids arguments of track selection).

I did a Race07 British GT champoinship over at 100Mbit and we used Croft. Here is my race video of it:

It seems Weissbierbude don't think Scotland is in the UK (they have it in a separate link from their UK circuit list).......
http://www.weissbierbude.de/component/option,com_gtlreporter/Itemid,48/Mode,tracklist/lang,en/?sortby=*&charfilter=*&location=Scotland&limit=10

Here is Thruxton (again from 100mbit British GT)....

Here is Donnington.
At 0:16 in H-Bomb's video I take out one of the owner-admins (oops)
Same incident at 0:14 in my video and at 4:14 I use reverse gear to avoid the tire wall which is directly underneath the camera man.

Hey guys, if its not any trouble could someone please explain to me what the deal is with things being legal to use as such. Im sure once you explain I will totally understand but the way I see it at the moment is that if a track has been converted to work in the RACE SERIES then why cant we use ?? This would be the ultimate for me , a FULL BTCC , all tracks in the same order as a certain season/year. AWESOME :)

Thanks in advance.

It's really very simple.

Games and all of their content are copyrighted material. In order to use that material you need to own a license to do so, which you get by purchasing the game. If you then release the game or any of it's content for people to download and use without buying it themselves, then you are breaking the law. The one and only way it is legal is if you have full permission from the copyright holders.

Many of the tracks released for the Race series have been converted directly from other games such as the Race Driver series. This has been done without the express permission of CodeMasters, who own the copyright. Therefore, the tracks are illegal and may not be used, uploaded, or linked to anywhere on RaceDepartment.

(Note: Race Driver and CodeMasters were just examples. The same applies to almost every game and copyright holder.)

Hi Ross and thanks for taking the time to reply.

I totally understand that mate. I should have been more clearer. If certain sites , such a NO-GRIP RACING have allowed people to upload such tracks ..... ?

Or it just that , certain sites policies to use these tracks are different. Obviously RD's choice being the correct one.

Thanks again Ross and forgive me for being so dopey. haahaha :)

I totally understand that mate. I should have been more clearer. If certain sites , such a NO-GRIP RACING have allowed people to upload such tracks ..... ?

I don't know what No-Grip's policy is with regards to illegal content. Some communities simply don't care, others claim to but don't properly enforce their own policies. Either way, content appearing on one or multiple other sites doesn't make it 'ok' to download and use.

If it's illegal then it isn't welcome here.

The most recent Mini Friday was at Mossport and I think this was originally converted from the Mostport that was included in the Papyrus Grandprix Legends game. Watkins glen is another one. However, both of these have had lots of tweeks and changes (and I think were converted via GT Legends or GTR2) so I am not sure if there is still binary code that matches.

The up coming Sachenring67 Retro event is definitely kosher because that track was written by a Grandprix Legends track builder and not papyrus.

My view is this:
1. It's possible to copywrite a real life circuit or vehicle to prevent it being simmed for commercial gain.
2. If binary code has been ripped from one game to another then that is in breach of copywrite.
3. It's not possible to prevent, via copywrite, a real life racing circuit or car from being simulated as a non commercial add on to a game.

For example the Race07 GTL_1.3 mod contains 3d models identical to those in GT Legends and does not do a GT Legends CD check so it should not be used but if it had been written from scratch and the 3d models were a bit different then it would be okay. It would be even more okay if it was not called GTL mod and was based on a different year of the FIA historic GT and touring car championship.

Going back to the original subject there are plenty of British circuits that do not contain code from other games so we should still be able to have a British championship. We just need to list the available circuits and cars.

Maybe close this thread and make a new one for a British GT2 Championship and include the F430 (from the mod Porsche 997 RSR & Ferrari F430 V2.1) or for front wheel drive fans maybe use the Clio Cup or the new Fiat 500 Abarth mod.

The super touring cars are definately legal - because Andreas has built them from scratch. And they are great! :) There are also the STW 97 pack from Pat and the STCC 00 pack with some different models in.

For circuits, we can drive Brands Hatch, Donington and Silverstone for sure, they were used in RD leagues. Thruxton was used in rFactor so there should be a way too. It might be a better idea to have a small calendar anyway, so it can easier fit into the other leagues and events here. And let's not forget, there was not only BTCC, but also STW (Hockenheim, Nürburgring, Norisring, Spa, Zolder, Salzburgring, A1Ring, Oschersleben, Sachsenring), Italian series, French series, Spanish series, Swedish series, even American and Japanese. They even drove on Macau.
So if we could go for a six-round-league with, lets say (just an example), Brands, Donington, Spa, Enna Pergusa, Hockenheim, Silverstone, that would offer good variety and all tracks were raced with Super Touring cars. Pretty sure the league would have to be on a weekday though, with all the other leagues running.

For the organization, you would definately need someone from RD in the organizing crew for servers, results. I am not an admin or mod but I have experience with organizing leagues, and if time allows I would help for sure. I can't say no to Super Touring!

That would be so cool :D
Some online races could give some good feedback and help developing the mod further:)

And I have modelled and mapped all the cars myself, so the super touring mods are legal. Don't know why some people think they are illegal?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back