R3E Receives Hefty Update

R3E_Audi_Sport_TT_Cup_1.jpg
Sector3 Studios have released a large update for Raceroom Racing Experience.

Players will have to download the 3.1GB update for the racing sim in order to continue playing, because of the always-online nature of the free-to-play model. Judging from the size of the patch, the new update will feature numerous pieces of content in addition to game improvements such as refueling in pitstops, longer race sessions and push-to-pass.

Included, but not yet available, might be the Nordschleife and/or Buriram circuits, and perhaps the Audi TT Cup or Formula RaceRoom classes. Push-to-pass has a temporary HUD element which will be replaced soon, but nonetheless it should be working. The Artificial Inteligence should also fare better with more refined race-craft and behavior even in crash situations.

Do check out our exclusive interview with Sector3 Studios for more information about upcoming content for R3E!

The full changelog can be found below:

Game:

• Added new content that will be released very soon.
  • Implemented Refuelling in pitstops. This is still work in progress and there will be additional fuel options in car setup later. For now all cars will start with full tank.
  • Increased session length up to 6 hours.(R3E only. Does not apply to other experiences.) Please note the replay file size will be rather big on longer session races. You can disable replay recording by adding “-disableReplay” to Launch Options for the game on Steam.
  • Added Push-to-Pass logic with a temporary HUD element for it. (HUD will be changed in the near future). Push-to-Pass info is available for spectator overlays and in shared memory.
  • Removed the hidden fuel and wear multipliers that were automatically applied depending on race length in R3E.
  • Added mandatory pitstop, tyre wear and fuel use options to R3E single player races.
  • Fixed a crash that was occurring when car status hud was getting disabled.
  • Fixed Mandatory pitstop not counting for player on certain experiences.
  • Fixed issue with window values getting wrong if window was minimized, which caused HUD objects to appear incorrect.
  • Fixed a couple of memory leaks.
  • Fixed background video being stretched to right monitor on triple screen setups.
  • DTM 2013 - Fixed an issue with 4th round of qualifying ending after the outlap and ending the session with no qualifying time.
  • DTM 2014 - Fixed mandatory pitstop not counting for the player.
  • Fixed an AI related crash that could have occurred while updating certain events.
  • Fixed an issue where the menu would show two “End Session” buttons after returning to Garage from Pause menu after session time has run out.
  • Fixed car setup screen blinking red when using non English languages.
  • Tweaked AI to improve AI starts on grid.
  • Fixed an endless loading issue that could occur on slow connections that would timeout mid loading.
Multiplayer:
  • Increased default connection timeout to 30 seconds.
  • Removed a double call to set a connection related option (TCP_NODELAY) for server-client TCP socket.
Sounds, Cameras, Physics & AI:
  • A.I. logic improvements. More racy, less hesitant to overtaking, handles crashes better; AI’s now try and avoid cars even when collisions are disabled.
  • Improved AI behaviour coming into sharp corners and pitstop area, and various other small fixes.
  • Improved AI logic for the chosen gear when player regains control from AI.
  • Tweaked AI speed on 2nd hairpin of Norisring.
  • Tweaked AI speed on 2nd turn of Oschersleben.
  • Tweaked Bathurst AI behaviour.
  • Tweaked Monza AI behaviour and merged cut corridors for all difficulty levels.
  • Nurburgring: Fixed "empty pitboxes" problem where AI couldnt perform pitstops
  • Redbull Ring: Fixed "empty pitboxes" problem where AI couldnt perform pitstops.
  • Lausitzring: Fixed "empty" pitboxes and merged cut corridors for all difficulty levels.
  • Hockenheim: Fixed “empty” pitboxes and tweaked AI behavior in turn 1.
  • Updated single screen chasecam positions for all cars
  • Added missing action cameras for RUF RT12R (GTR3)
  • Increased FFB strength for Prototype and Radical cars

Art:
  • Mid Ohio - Fixed some flickering banners.
  • Nurburgring - Fixed mixed advertisement banners.
  • Paul Ricard - Tweaked distant terrain texture.
  • Zolder - Reduced bumpiness of the track, fixed some flickers in turn 10.
  • Monza - Updated curbstones to current design, lowered some rounded curbs, and various tweaks.
  • Hockenheim - Curbs tweaked and adjusted to match drivers feedback. Gravel texture update. Oil bottle on top of pitbuilding now has new sponsor.
  • Bathurst - Small tweaks
  • Suzuka - Removed an abandoned truck in pitlane.
  • Fixed Aquila car shadows.
  • Fixed flickering labels in Nissan GT-R GT3 cockpit.

Portal & Backend Systems:
  • Fixed certain content returning error 20103 when trying to use them.
  • Fixed leaderboard challenge launch function checking whether the player owns the livery instead of the car.
  • Fixed newsletter subscription option not saving in Account Settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Players will have to download the 3.1GB update for the racing sim in order to continue playing, because of the always-online nature of the free-to-play model"

This is exactly why I'm un-installing R3E today. Fed up of losing a few gigs whenever they feel like it, just to use the content I already own.

From my very brief time with the ai I am loving the improvements. They look a lot more racey. The races look more real to to me. Also have yet to be tapped by the ai and instantly spin out. Very impressed so far! Damn don't want to go to work now!
Agreed. The AI have progressed from "reasonably competent" to "pretty bloody good", and don't seem quite as glued to their racing line. If you hit an AI, now there's a reasonable chance it will spin off the track instead of you. The flip side to this is that the visual and mechanical damage modelling is still woeful: the visual damage is almost un-noticeable and there is basically no performance or handling penalty for even major collisions, unless the engine suddenly dies.

I took a few weeks off R3E because of my various frustrations with it, and came back to it with fresh eyes and expectations. It really looks, sounds and feels incredible and is wonderfully immersive, but still has a few fundamental issues which detract from the immersion and realism. Thankfully each big patch seems to hit a few more issues on the head, so who knows, in a few months this game really might achieve the greatness it deserves.

no car class physics updates?

One of the beta testers on the S3S forum commented that the new physics should be applied to more/all cars in fairly quick order (quicker than in the past anyway, but not like in the next couple weeks quick). So, hopefully we won't have to wait terribly long to get the other cars up to snuff, I have a hard time wanting to drive the "old" cars now after having experienced the new physics and I definitely won't be buying any cars with old physics.

Agreed. The AI have progressed from "reasonably competent" to "pretty bloody good", and don't seem quite as glued to their racing line. If you hit an AI, now there's a reasonable chance it will spin off the track instead of you. The flip side to this is that the visual and mechanical damage modelling is still woeful: the visual damage is almost un-noticeable and there is basically no performance or handling penalty for even major collisions, unless the engine suddenly dies.

I took a few weeks off R3E because of my various frustrations with it, and came back to it with fresh eyes and expectations. It really looks, sounds and feels incredible and is wonderfully immersive, but still has a few fundamental issues which detract from the immersion and realism. Thankfully each big patch seems to hit a few more issues on the head, so who knows, in a few months this game really might achieve the greatness it deserves.

Yes the damage is awful.... There are no penalties for bad driving and contact other than spinning. Hopefully this will come soon. But at least I actually want to play it now. Felt like I was actually in a race

One thing I noticed... Went to drive the gt3 BMW just before I left for work... It felt like it had the longest gears ever. Took me an age to get out of 1st gear. I quit and booted up the adac bmw and no such problem.... Bug?

One thing I noticed... Went to drive the gt3 BMW just before I left for work... It felt like it had the longest gears ever. Took me an age to get out of 1st gear. I quit and booted up the adac bmw and no such problem.... Bug?

I've had this one occasionally. What I found to fix it was to go into the car setup option (in game), hit reset to default setup, and all was fine again. You could then adjust your setup as normal again.

Yes, with new realistic setup options you are asked to reset your setup if this happens. Or better reset every one. This was stated in the changelog then, so it's not a bug, it's more like old values impossible to load into a new environment.

Finding the new AI to be just as bump happy as the old. If I can get out in front I'm good, otherwise, getting hit every corner during braking :mad: Just tried a quick race at Nürburgring GP, gave up after 5 attempts. Never even got round the first lap, constantly being knocked off track or struck/spun-out. Very annoying, have Wreckfest for banger racing fun ...

As for me, the new version seems to finally resemble a proper beta now. Also, I'm quite weirded out by the current force feedback. Feels like my wheel tries to steer for me all by itself at times.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 253 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 244 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%