R3E Pricing, discounts and tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've noticed that some feel the pricing in R3E is a bit confusing, so I'm gonna try do my best to make it easier to understand here while also giving some tips on how to save a dollar or two in the process.

First off, you don't need to start the game to access the store, you can access the store and your account from here; http://game.raceroom.com

Hit the Store button at the top and then you can find the content just below under tha Cars, Tracks and Packs links.

I highly recommend to look at buying packs as these give you a big discount on the content compared to buying each car and track seperately! If you already own pieces of the content in a pack, you'll get further discount for what you own. Here's how you can tell;

1. Hover your mouse over the huge yellow discount bubble.
  2. A popup tells you the total price, pack price, discount for owned content and all discount.
  3. Once you add content to the cart it will open on the right hand side, here you can see another type of discount you get, bulk discount, this discount increases in % the more you add (read on for a good tip on how to save money though!!).
R3E pricing.png

So as you can see, just by hitting the store and adding something to the cart you can get a clear view of how much this content will set you back in cold hard cash!

But wait, theres more!
You can save more money by purchasing vRP vouchers from this store;
http://www.raceroomstore.com/shop_en/vrp

If we look at the price in the screenshot above, this will cost you 1698 vRP, which means €16,13 after bulk discount.
But you can buy a 2000vRP voucher from the above URL for €16,99, that way you'll have 302 vRP left over after buying the pack that you can use to buy another piece of content!
And the more you buy the cheaper it gets ofc. :)
After purchasing you'll get an email with a code that you can redeem in the store by clicking the vRP button next to your profile pic and choosing Redeem Code;
redeem.png

Lastly, that store is the official Raceroom store so it is fully legal and trustworthy.

So, in short, the TLDR version:
The WTCC packs are pretty good buys if you plan on joining our Club Racing as we will be doing lots of these.

Note that as of the time of writing this you can accidently pay too much if you for instance add both the WTCC 2013 pack and the European Track Pack to the store, you will not get discount for the tracks that both packs contain. For the time beeing you are better off just buying one pack, then add the next to the cart, once you own the tracks you should get credited with the discount.
If you have accidently bought this I urge you to contact Sector 3 over at their forums;
https://forum.sector3studios.com/

Good luck with the move mate (whenever it happens that is :)), hopefully see you out on track soon... we dont have a large US gathering for the races at the moment (timezone issues with Europe), but i'm sure this is something we will be looking into in the near future.
Just think, you live somewhere i'd love to go on holiday, but it would cost me thousands! Got to the beach and have a beer for me please... ;)
Enjoy DTM 92 mate, its first class!
Cheers

I just recently got back into R3E after trying it once a long time ago. Absolutely love it! The sound... good lord the sound... :p And the ffb is right up my street too. I like it to feel similar to my real car if I can. Anyway.... if anyone's on the fence about it because of the way the store works etc, here is what I did... maybe someone could use it as a loose guide, obviously accounting for their own tastes when purchasing :) I don't know if it's the most optimal way, but it worked well for me. Bare in mind I only ever bought 1 pack at a time, and completed the purchase. That way, the system sees that you already own that content, and applies the relevant discounts to other packs it affects thereafter, as has been covered already at the start of this thread.

I got the 10k vRP voucher from the Raceroom shop. This is €64.99 which is a touch under £46 in British quid (virtually the same as the AC+DLC 1+2 bundle on steam, fyi). You can find out your own currency conversion by searching in google with "€64.99 in GBP" or whatever your currency happens to be.

Then I bought, in roughly this order:
ADAC GT Masters Experience 2014 (contains several tracks which discount other packs below)
ADAC GT Masters 2013 (wanted the cars and liveries, cheaper coz you have the tracks ^)
European Track Pack (cheaper than buying the missing tracks seperately, cheaper due to ^)
DTM Experience 2015 (cheaper coz you have the tracks ^)
Hillclimb
Group 5 (cheaper coz you own a car already from Hillclimb ^)
1x car from WTCC 2014
American Track Pack (already had 2 of these from a sale the first time I tried this, so it was discounted for me)

And I have some vRP left. Buying the Hillclimb pack means you get the track, and also 2 of the cars which are included in the Touring Classics Pack, which I believe is often run alongside DTM 1992, so therefore you would have a choice of 2 cars to race in that. When it comes to completing a pack that you own part of, for example, I have 2 of the cars from the Touring Classics Pack now, it is slightly cheaper to get those missing cars on their own, with only 1 livery each, than it is to buy the now-discounted Pack which you already own part of. The extra cost of the pack seems to be in the multiple liveries you get with it. But it depends on whether you want a choice of livery or not.

Hope that's of use to someone somewhere. Not as expensive as I had thought it was in the past to be honest. It feels better than it did when I first tried it. Maybe that's just me, or maybe their patches have changed things for the better! Have to say, if and when the devs get a rating system into this, and maybe scheduling/calendar of some kind for events... in my opinion it really does have the potential to be an iRacing beater for online stuff. The online-ness of it, web integration, leaderboards and competitions, highlighting the pro's times on the competitions, it's very compelling, and the sound and ffb makes it very immersive. It's a damn shame it's not more popular. If only they could combine R3E and rF2...!

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks the fact that you need all this info just to purchase rather expensive DLC means that the whole way the DLC is sold in the first place is simply wrong and confusing?

I really don't know why they decided to implement there own currency. The cynic in me says 'Let's give em VRP's, they won't have a damn clue how much they're spending. Sorted.'

There are several reasons to, the content can be priced roughly the same depending on region (aka the content has the same vRP price in store but you have different prices for buying vRP depending on where you are from).
Using vRP rather than straight up cash means they can sell vRP vouchers otuside of steam, so you get it cheaper and they earn more, win win.
But yes, one of the reasons to use a virtual currency (in other games, not R3E specifically) is to obfuscate the actual cost of an item, the cost is only visual when you are buying vRP, but once you're buying ingame with said vRP you no longer look at it as a actual expense, as it is now "only virtual currency".
Not saying this is right or wrong, I don't mind it much as I find that I get a lot of value for the money I put in, but recent updates have shown that S3 agrees that the cost/price model should be more transparent as they added the actual real currency option ingame (just add stuff to the cart and it'll show you the actual price in real life valuta as well as vRP).

I don't suppose the 50% off everything is coming back soon , I've only just moved over to PC so have missed the recent bargains
Considering how successful it was it might return, but there's no guarantee, they do occasionally have sales with heavy discounts and since a holiday is coming up I think we might see one soon, still the same logic applies, no guarantee it will happen.

Keep an eye on Steam directly later this month since the Steam Winter Sale starts 22 Dec.
Be a bit careful with steam sales and R3E, buying the first pack might be cheap but the steam store does not take into account discounts for already owned content etc so you may actually end up paying more that way ><
Buying vRP vouchers and buying content when there's a ingame sale is the way to go, unless we get another "all content for €50" deal that is.

Be a bit careful with steam sales and R3E, buying the first pack might be cheap but the steam store does not take into account discounts for already owned content etc so you may actually end up paying more that way ><
Buying vRP vouchers and buying content when there's a ingame sale is the way to go, unless we get another "all content for €50" deal that is.
Agreed. I wanted him to keep an eye out on the Steam sale because he made the comment about just getting back into sim racing on the PC.

No. Discount is added too through raceroom store. Just purchased dtm 2013 experience and dtm 1992 via steam for $7 (Thanks to my region). Once I try to put european track pack, I only pay $10.18 through store.

Here is detailed comparisons:
game.raceroom.com/store/
DTM 2013 Experience+DTM1992+European Track Pack = $33.20 (3447 vrp)

DTM 2013 Experience+DTM1992=$7 (Steam Deal 50% Off)
European Track Pack =$10.18 (949 vrp)

I ended up saving $16.02 for the same item.

Last edited:
No. Discount is added too through raceroom store. Just purchased dtm 2013 experience and dtm 1992 via steam for $7 (Thanks to my region). Once I try to put european track pack, I only pay $10.18 through store.

Here is detailed comparisons:
game.raceroom.com/store/
DTM 2013 Experience+DTM1992+European Track Pack = $33.20 (3447 vrp)

DTM 2013 Experience+DTM1992=$7 (Steam Deal 50% Off)
European Track Pack =$10.18 (949 vrp)

I ended up saving $16.02 for the same item.
Where did I say you can't save money on the steam store? It still doesn't factor in discounts for already owned content, so you DO run the risk of paying for content you already own.

Where did I say you can't save money on the steam store? It still doesn't factor in discounts for already owned content, so you DO run the risk of paying for content you already own.

Raceroom store is connected with steam. Once You purchase from steam, it's updated too with raceroom store. So there is no risk for paying content that You already own. From my explanation above, european trackpack alone is $26.44. But, since I already have several track from DTM Experience 2013, I just pay $10.18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%