F1 2011 R&D Questions

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Okay so before i start, yes i have used the search function and searching "R&D" is not allowed and all my other attempts like "reseach and devolpment" and all other variants i could think of either came back with nothing or threads telling the poster to use the search function. If im just being an idiot and someone cant point me into the right thread i will be happy lol. If not here are my questions:

1) What is the difference between the paths? (Aggresive is supposed to be good for the current season where as Balanced is for a better car next season? Has anyone actually tested to see if this is true?)

2) What is the optimal path?

3) If i chose a certain path and at the end of the season leave to another team, will the team i just left still be affected by what path i had chosen? (e.g if i chose balanced they will have a good car next season?)

There are only 3 FP in a long race weekend but I think he means that he needs to complete 6 FP. First he completes one to practise and then he starts the same practice session again to complete the R&D-objective, like you said. So he drives 3FP to practise and learn the track and 3FP to complete the R&D-objective.

Ic, that make sense if we assume he dont know that he can fast forward those session :D Good day ~

Hi all

Now that I’m introduced, maybe it would be okay for me to ask my first stupid questions:

The choice of R&D path is offered to you only once you become #1 driver.

Such references are aplenty on the Net, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how exactly to take advantage of this; neither does the Net provide answers, no matter where and how hard I search.

I am #1 driver (got an e-mail from the boss telling me so) and at the end of first season (I’m going to stay my whole career) or beginning of second season (because of the “Corrupt Storage Device” thingy, I back up every session of every event, so I can restore easily at any time).

At the final race or b4 1st race in new season (can't remember exactly when) the screen will come up and you will be able to choose.

Mr. O’Reilly, in your F1 2011 Advanced Drivers Guide, on page 36, you say the choice is made at Abu Dhabi (second last race of the season). Now I’ve been there and at Brazil at end of first season (as #1 driver), as well as Melbourne with the same team in the next (second) season, but nowhere am I given a choice of R & D Path. No screen comes up.

The engineer responds with a quite emphatic "Right lets get those changes made"

I get two variants of this:

(1) Okay guys, let’s get these changes made: and

(2) We will make the changes you requested.

But these are race engineer responses after I made changes to the car set-up. That’s the only time he uses these words.

… it actually takes you to that screen at the appropriate time. IE you have to make the choice then and there.

Which screen would that be? At each race (Abu Dhabi and Brazil at end of first season, and Melbourne at start of second season) I end up in the garage. I thought maybe one should exercise the choice on the R & D Screen on the car monitor, but I cannot access the bar at the top with the option of Balanced/Intermediate/Aggressive to move the tick mark to my desired path.

I am totally and utterly stumped and would appreciate your help here.

Thanks, love & respect

Okay so before i start, yes i have used the search function and searching "R&D" is not allowed and all my other attempts like "reseach and devolpment" and all other variants i could think of either came back with nothing or threads telling the poster to use the search function. If im just being an idiot and someone cant point me into the right thread i will be happy lol. If not here are my questions:

1) What is the difference between the paths? (Aggresive is supposed to be good for the current season where as Balanced is for a better car next season? Has anyone actually tested to see if this is true?)

2) What is the optimal path?

3) If i chose a certain path and at the end of the season leave to another team, will the team i just left still be affected by what path i had chosen? (e.g if i chose balanced they will have a good car next season?)

I just posted this on another thread about the same issue and then found this had already been discussed on this thread here.

My response on another post about the same issue
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/what-is-optimal-r-d-approch.63085/#post-1380011

Note to Admin:
I think you may want to merge these threads, as they are basically about the same issue.. ie what R&D path to take

Hi all

Now that I’m introduced, maybe it would be okay for me to ask my first stupid questions:

Such references are aplenty on the Net, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how exactly to take advantage of this; neither does the Net provide answers, no matter where and how hard I search.

I am #1 driver (got an e-mail from the boss telling me so) and at the end of first season (I’m going to stay my whole career) or beginning of second season (because of the “Corrupt Storage Device” thingy, I back up every session of every event, so I can restore easily at any time).

Mr. O’Reilly, in your F1 2011 Advanced Drivers Guide, on page 36, you say the choice is made at Abu Dhabi (second last race of the season). Now I’ve been there and at Brazil at end of first season (as #1 driver), as well as Melbourne with the same team in the next (second) season, but nowhere am I given a choice of R & D Path. No screen comes up.

I get two variants of this:

(1) Okay guys, let’s get these changes made: and

(2) We will make the changes you requested.

But these are race engineer responses after I made changes to the car set-up. That’s the only time he uses these words.

Which screen would that be? At each race (Abu Dhabi and Brazil at end of first season, and Melbourne at start of second season) I end up in the garage. I thought maybe one should exercise the choice on the R & D Screen on the car monitor, but I cannot access the bar at the top with the option of Balanced/Intermediate/Aggressive to move the tick mark to my desired path.

I am totally and utterly stumped and would appreciate your help here.

Thanks, love & respect

I apologise for such a late response.
The page 36 quote is I'm afraid an unedited part of the 2010 guide wherein it was at Abu Dhabi (final race). In 2011 I cant remember exactly which race but you cant access the screen. You will be offered the screen once and once only for that team.Whereas in 2010 you get the choice each season if you stay in the team as #1

My belief re R&D choices is this:
Agressive: Frequent updates, I got updates most races,say 3/5 races so a fast car but very tough team targets.Good choice if wanting to stay long term with that team. I won wdc in expert @ 75% distance with Williams in Season 4.
But...lousy for gaining big rep points as you will often fail to meet the targets. So if you want a better offer its to be avoided.
I went agressive path the Williams in Season 2 and then was stuck with it until I left the team.
Balanced: Less frequent updates but more achievable targets.
Intermediate: I have not tried this mode but my current assumption is that it will mean fewer updates and low targets.

My -"in-game" beleif is that these choices are there to replicatethe scenarios under greater team investment. IE Agressive is what M/Benz have done this season. Intermediate maybe Caterham. Balanced-Toro Rosso?
I am doing a second career (but at a more leisurely pace as I am driving other sims too now) and will be experimenting with Intermediate to confirm my assumption.
My goal is to smash all targets and get more top team offers.

I have also noticed that your recent results have a big impact on targets. I ran a couple of 3 lap races to hurry things along and managed to get the HRT into the points. Next race it was expected amd @75% dist was out of the question.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%