Question regarding StockV8_HeadPhysics.ini

I recently decided to try setting the in-game settings for "Head Movement", "Look Ahead" and "Exaggerate Yaw" all to 100% and at first it was difficult to get used to, but now I love it and I won't ever drive without it set to the max. After a week of getting used to it I tried setting it to default and suddenly the game felt really lame, as if I was driving with a stiff neck or something. Anyway, I actually wanted to increase the Yaw a bit more, so I looked through the game files and found the "StockV8_HeadPhysics.ini" file that contains the settings for the head movement, but when I save new changes to the file and restart my game, I don't notice a difference at all.

This is the contents of the file:
Code:
// Vehicle movement affects driver's head physics, but head does NOT
// influence vehicle dynamics. This violates Newton's 3rd law, but
// allows user to configure head physics without "cheating".

HeadMass=6.0
HeadInertia=(0.032,0.028,0.029)
MinPos=(-0.1,-0.03,-0.2) // Minimum extents of position (should be negative)
MaxPos=( 0.1, 0.03, 0.05) // Maximum extents of position (should be positive)
MinOri=(-15.0,-15.0,-15.0) // Minimum degrees of pitch, yaw, roll (should be negative)
MaxOri=( 15.0, 15.0, 15.0) // Maximum degrees of pitch, yaw, roll (should be positive)

// There are three types of springs to control head movement:
//
// Sliding = spring/damper force maintains given direction relative to vehicle
// Normal = spring/damper force in direction between connection points
// FreeDamping = spring is normal, but damper resist velocity in any direction
//
// Parameters for springs are:
//
// SpringDir = direction of spring/damper forces (automatically normalized, not valid for Normal springs)
// SpringHead = connection to driver head (relative to head center)
// SpringBody = connection to vehicle body (relative to head center)
// SpringCollLen = if more than zero, spring doesn't take effect until minimum length has been reached
// SpringParams = spring rate and damper rate

Spring=Sliding
SpringDir=(0.0,1.0,-0.0) // up/down
SpringHead=(0.0,-0.05,0.01)
SpringBody=(0.0,-0.05,0.01)
SpringParams=(1400.0,120)

Spring=Sliding
SpringDir=(0.0,-0.0,-1.0) // forward/back
SpringHead=(0.0,-0.05,0.02)
SpringBody=(0.0,-0.05,0.02)
SpringParams=(2000,180)

Spring=Sliding
SpringDir=(1.0,0.0,0.0) // lateral
SpringHead=(0.0,0.04,-0.05)
SpringBody=(0.0,0.04,-0.05)
SpringParams=(8000,600)

Spring=freedamping // resists yawing and rolling
SpringHead=(2,0.0,0.0)
SpringBody=(2,0.0,0.0)
SpringParams=(45,1.5)

Spring=freedamping // resists yawing and pitching
SpringHead=(0.0,0,2.0)
SpringBody=(0.0,0,2.0)
SpringParams=(60,3)

I'm fine with how much the car bounces at 100%, and the Yaw seems ok at 100% too I guess, but I would very like to increase the "Look Ahead" value, but I'm not exactly sure what to adjust in order to achieve the desired increased amount of "Look Ahead". I'm also not sure if the changes I make to the file have any effect at all.

I made changes to these lines, but I did not notice any difference:
Code:
MinOri=(-15.0,-15.0,-15.0) // Minimum degrees of pitch, yaw, roll (should be negative)
MaxOri=( 15.0, 15.0, 15.0) // Maximum degrees of pitch, yaw, roll (should be positive)

If somebody knows what to adjust to increase the "Look Ahead" beyond 100%, please let me know. Thank you.

I figured I would give it a little time and check back.

So nobody knows how to edit their "StockV8_HeadPhysics.ini" and increase the "Look Ahead" settings to be more than what the in-game slider offers?

I thought for sure that somebody would know how to do this and offer me some help.

So it's been a long time since I posted and asked about how to edit the "StockV8_HeadPhysics.ini" and add additional increased "Look Ahead" abilities to the game, but I guess it's safe to say that nobody knows how to adjust these settings. The values I tested seemed to have no effect in the game at all when I tested with a Stock V8 car, so now I'm left wondering if this file is used by the game at all, or if maybe it's just some left over file that is no longer used at all and is just taking up space in the folder.

It says right in the top of the file "// allows user to configure head physics without "cheating".

It's a shame I can't get it to work at all. It's the one thing that makes the game seem so realistic. I just wish it could be enhanced a little more. If anybody knows anything at all regarding this file and how to get it to work with increased "Look Ahead" settings, please let me know. Maybe somebody else could make changes to their file and see if they can get it working. Thank you.

Fergus, I don't think the head physics file has anything to do with the look ahead - it only governs up/down, left/right, and fore/back movement, but not rotation.

I assume you have tried changing settings in the plr file?
Some of these look like they have room for increase, and they seem to be the ones that affect rotation:

Lookahead Angle="0.00000" // Angle to lookahead (yaw) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)
Head Physics="0.00000" // Fraction of head physics movement applied to cockpit view (position AND rotation)
Head Rotation="1.00000" // Additional head physics multiplier affecting rotation only
Exaggerate Yaw="0.0000000119" // Visually exaggerates the heading angle of the vehicle by rotating the head (which may improve "feel")

Thanks you so much Keith. I've poked around through all of the game files at one point or another since when I first bought the game when it first released, but I never took a look at the PLR file ever. I don't know how I missed it. Anyway, I made some changes to my PLR file as you suggested and then I tested the changes in the game a few times until I finally achieved the desired effects that I have very much been wanting from my game. I might tweak the settings more over time until I get it perfect, but for now I am very happy with the way it is working.

These are the settings that I used in the movie:
(Note: The movie is a little choppy for a moment in the middle, but it smooths out)

(If you attempt to use these settings, first make a backup of your PLR file)
Leanahead Angle="0.25000"
Look Roll Angle="0.90000"
Glance Angle="0.90000"
Lookahead Angle="0.55000"
Head Physics="0.60000"
Head Rotation="1.30000"
Exaggerate Yaw="1.10000"

I swing too much in full angle corners what off those settings might help beeing less pressed into the corners. I'm like glued at the window for a full steer left and like on the passengers seat if I go full right :D, otherwise I really dig the settings just need to tweak it for the gamepad I have xD

I think you want less lookahead.

Try:
Lookahead Angle="0.50000
- or -
Lookahead Angle="0.45000

You can also use negative lean and rotate values, meaning... when you make a tight left turn, instead of your cockpit tilting like this \ it will tilt like this / with the turn, which is actually a pretty awesome effect. I tried it and I was very impressed with how it behaved.

I tried the same effects with a Mini Cooper and noticed that the look ahead and lean effects seemed more subtle, so I increased the effects even more. I actually like how the effects behave with the Mini Cooper more than the Stock V8, it just feels more fun, especially when the car drifts a lot around a turn. I would imagine that the effects might need to be tweaked different for each different type of car, depending on which car you like to use most. For instance, the Formula Reiza car only needs slight adjustments, where as the Mini Copper can handle more dramatic adjustments, but you should be able to find a medium that works well for all the cars.

When I first started using the default look ahead effects at 100%, it took some getting used to at first, but once I got used to it, I actually started to love it. Then one day I tried racing with the look ahead set to 0% and it felt like I was driving while wearing a neck brace. I hated it. Now, thanks to Keith, I am able to drive using way more lookahead and also apply rotation settings that cause the entire cockpit view to tilt on turns, so I'm having a blast. Most the videos I see on youtube always show players racing with 0% look ahead and 0% head movement(head bob), which is almost annoying to watch and seems so unrealistic. It almost gives me a stiff neck just to watch their videos.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 486 39.1%