F1 2011 Question on DRS

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I'm driving a Lotus in season 1 legend difficulty no assists. While I can use DRS in practise and Qualify I can never use it in a race.
I know there are certain zones and situations where it can be used,:tongue: but I'm now in Singapoore and I have never seen it light up and be active in a race since I started the season in Australia. Any Idea's?

The interval is measured at some point before the DRS zone. Where exactly, I don't know. I run 100% races and for many races, I never see that light come on either. If I just put brand new tire, mix3, and catching up to others, I may see it light up 3 times a race... and that's about the most time I've ever used it in a race.

Best thing would be to do a Grand Prix and set the AI difficulty low.

Check the track details so you know where the DRS detection and activation zones are and then just sit on the gearbox of the car in front and try it when you know you've hit the activation zone marker.

I'm playing on the 360 in the cockpit view and I've never seen a light come up to say it's armed. But I've been able to use it as I hear it open and obviously notice the speed difference that goes with it.

Check out the DRS maps at the bottom of this page.

Note that these are the real DRS zones, and will not necessarily match those used in the game. DRS zones are announced by the FIA shortly before a Grand Prix, and as the season is not complete yet, the list is incomplete.

The maps do show you clearly, that there can been quite some distance from the DRS Detection Point (where you have to be within the 1 second margin), and the DRS Activation Point (where you can actually open the wing)

http://www.nexusf1.com/content.php?r=257-Drag-Reduction-System

(Right click and save on the track links to save as a PDF file)

You need to be within 1 second of the car ahead of you when you cross the detection line. When you cross the activation line, you can use DRS. It doesn't matter if the car ahead has extended the gap past 1 second, or if you passed them. As long as you hit the detection line within 1 second, DRS is guaranteed once you hit the activation line. It doesn't just work on cars a position up on you, it works on cars physically ahead of you, meaning it can be used on lapped cars.

Is being passed by them close enough? Don't bother replying if you can't understand the question.
The answer that prompted your agressive response was in fact correct in so far as what it said.
No, being passed by them is not close enough. You need to pass the designated DRS detection zone line within 1 second of the car you are attacking.
If you are successful in doing this it will light up in the DRS activation zone and be useable.
If you are racing cleverly you will know exactly where both these zones are to allow you to both attack with DRS and defend from DRS attack.
For example in Canada (a double DRS zone) the detection point is exiting the hairpin at the "top of the circuit" (turn 10).
So in attack mode you would do all you can to cross this within 1 sec of the prey and then you have 2 DRS zones in which to attack around turn 12 (on the 1st straught) and soon after turn 14. So most of the run down the island.
In defence you would fight (including all your KERs and fuel mix 3) to evade a 1 sec proximity there or most prob will be smoked.
I defence there I have deliberately allowed the attacking car to slip under me B4 the detaction line and thus grant me the DRS for the 2 zones. This was successful as I retook a position I would have otherwise lost for sure.

Another example is that in Hungary a good exit from turn 13 and entry into 14 (final turn)will almost always evade a 1 sec gap to pursuing car.

I hope my answer doesn't in any way offend you.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%