1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for those using a game-pad controller.

Discussion in 'Euro Truck Simulator 2' started by Badmagic, Feb 17, 2013.

1. I've been playing on and off more or less since launch, its been on the back burner for a while as I've had other issues come up but now find myself with time to start up again, so I un-installed my retail disc version and instead added my key to steam (saves time on manual patching), got it all installed, updated & patched.

Everything is fine but here is the question for those of you who use a controller, how exactly do you configure your available buttons? No I don't mean literally 'How do you do it." as the interface is clear enough but more what function do you assign to which button?

I remember going through this when the game was new and trying many combinations to find something "comfortable" but this time around since its been a while rather than spend too much time assigning and reassigning layouts to trial I would just strait up ask what others are using predominantly and give others recommended setups a go.

I tend to play both "automatic simple" and "manual" gears depending on what mood I'm in (read as how hungover I am) so given a controllers limited buttons I would be happy with a simple automatic layout.

Currently on this fresh install my rough layout is as follows:

Right Trigger (analogue): Accelerate

Left Trigger (analogue): Brake/Reverse

Right Bumper: Cruise Control

Left Bumper: Window Wipers (I'm Scottish and playing without maximum chance of rain just feels... wrong... so they are there for simple convenience)

Start: Engine Start

Select: Dashboard Information Loop

D-Pad Down: Headlights

D-Pad Up: High-beams

D-Pad Right: Indicate Right

D-Pad Left: Indicate Left

Right Stick (analogue): Look

Left Stick (analogue): Steering

A, B, X, Y: Various brakes, horns and unassigned as by this stage I get confused by what I actually need and what I already set.

Now, that's probably a pretty nonoptimal and messed up configuration but as I say, I'm looking for feedback from others using a game-pad controllers, I cannot and will not try to justify the purchase of a wheel/peddle setup for a single solitary game, much like sticks for any flight based product (despite its desirability... Yes I'm looking at you planetside2).

If I was spending more time on gaming and had a library of driving based sims/games I may well feel differently but I recently was required to purchase a new system so frankly I don't have the cash to squander right now.

So, any suggestions or recommendations for how you setup your game-pad controllers for the best possible functionality would be appreciated, I love keyboard and mouse for literally any other game type, 90/100 I actively dislike pad controllers but in this type of title I feel the pure digital keyboard and mouse is just more of a hindrance to immersion and game-play that can otherwise be obtained from analogue control.

Anyway, I look forward to reading others setups and any info you care to share.

2. Right Trigger (analogue): Accelerate

Left Trigger (analogue): Brake/Reverse

Right Bumper: Head Lights

Left Bumper: Window Wipers... I'm Irish so ditto on the reasoning!

Start: Cruise Control

Select: View Change

D-Pad Down: Dashboard info

D-Pad Up: High-beams

D-Pad Right: Indicate Right

D-Pad Left: Indicate Left

Right Stick (analogue): Look

Left Stick (analogue): Steering

A: Engine start
    B: Parking Break
    X: Activate,view jobs etc
    Y: Trailer Attach/Detach