question about connecting 2 8600 cards

do the cards have to be exactly the same? i have 1 8600 gt 512mb & a 8600 gts 512mb. the only apparent difference is 1 has a fan (gt) and the other is passivly colled (gts) s=silent i`m gussing.

thx

The only thing you are going to have to worry about is do you have enough power in your power supply to make them work. If you do, there is a good chance they will work together. If you don't, there is no chance they will work together.

No you cant. To put 2 nvidia cards in sli they have to be exactly the same as far as i know. Your psu might also give a problem. A single 8600gt consumes arround 200watt on full load.

ok thx for the advice everyone, i did some more checking and the cards have even got different memory, the GT has DDR2 & the GT silent has DDR3. so its a no go.

i looked on flebay and theres quiet a few 8600 on there so i might buy 1 that matches then sell the odd card to get my money back :D

On the site it should say what wattage you need to connect the two up. If it uses 200W on its own id imagine it would be around 500W.

just went on the Corsair PSU Finder & 2 8600`s would run fine with a 550W & as a test i even selected better cards and it wasent till i picked 2 9600`s & overclocking that it said i needed a 650 :D

i think i`ve found a match for one of my cards on ebay. only difference i can see is 1 of the resistors in the top right corner is in a different place and the pcb board is a different colour.

what do you think? will these run together? thx :)

my card
P2200166.jpg

ebay card
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250773315672&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Different manufacturers set up the cards a little different. What matters is that they are rated the same for clock speed and ram.

BTW might I suggest a good can of air to take care of that little problem with the dust on your card? :)

You can also ask around a little, there were quite a few that purchased a single video card that came with the bridge cable and don't use it. There is a possibility that someone will have one laying around that can help you out.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 148 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 264 13.6%