Question about alerts.

I'm just wondering what kind of logic there is behind alerts. All watched threads seems to stop giving alerts to me fairly soon, but still not in any order by release date, watching start time etc. And sometimes some really old thread gives alert all the sudden even when the conversation has been going all the time without giving any alerts to me.

This is not a complaint. I'm genuinely interested as this seems to happen on all forums I visit.

Thanks.

This is what I do at first, if there is alerts, every time I arrive to forums and still watched threads stops giving alerts very soon.
And this happens in very similar way on every forum I visit.

It's no biggie as anyways I see threads highlighted if they have new posts.

No, every post in this thread has given an alert so far.

But for example in AC modding discussions subforum I have loads of watched threads which hardly ever gives alert eventhough I've entered to the thread by clicking link in the alert every time.
From my experience clicking isnt enough. Be sure to have read the last page/post of the thread

Yeah I watch only individual threads and resources, no full forums or subforums watched.

In the end I'm just curious about the logic behind alerts, I don't expect anything to be "fixed". And anyways the most important part, resources, gives an alert every time they are updated.

Thanks for your time. :)

Alerts are only generated for the first reply since you last read or marked as read the thread in question. No more alerts will be generated until you then go and read or mark read the thread.

This is by design. While alerting for every single reply might be ok for low traffic threads the cost of alerts, especially those which also generate mail would grows very quickly in a busy thread with lot's of subscribers.

This behaviour is hinted at in the alerts themselves where it states there may be more posts after this, implying only the first reply is responsible.

2017-03-24_00:44:19_Selection.png

This seems to explain things from your descriptions above.

-----

As a bonus note (since it comes up often and people might end up here if the search the feedback forum), user tagging is independent from the thread subscription alert generation. Tagging a user in a new post will always generate an alert for them. However editing a post to add new tags will not, as this would require maintaining the entire history of all tags in all posts forever.

With that in mind if you are trying to maintain a conversation with someone through a thread it's always a good idea to tag them in the replies you direct to them, with the possible exception of the thread starter who by default will be subscribed to their own thread unless the choose otherwise.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back