Qualify discussion

The main purpose of my 3 small rules was that when lining up and waiting for green light, drivers would naturally (and roughly) line up according to pace as it is in everybody's interest. In other words you would find Reik & Co in the front, the mid pack in the middle and the slower drivers towards the end. This would make the 7 min format more rewarding, and we don't need rules to acheive this. We can just make it our way of racing.

I edited this post as it sounded a bit unfriendly :)

Last edited:
I was at midpack and managed to get room both ahead of me and behind, let David thru on the outlap so gap forward was not an issue for me. I tried to keep it anyway as people were backing up just before the chicane, i started to stretch it at Pouhon...

I like the new format a lot better. Spa is longest tracks in the season so time was an issue. To get two attempts you needed to start with the traffic... But top drivers can make it in one attempt and not getting out with the rest of us is an option i would definitely use...

I'm happy to run with whatever format the majority enjoy most. Personally I don't see what is gained with the new system. If the idea is that we sort roughly into order of likely speed so that we don't get impeded, then why not just run superpole where we are guaranteed to have no traffic? In an ideal world we would have more time and it would be good to be all on the track together. I feel that since we are generally agreed that race time is more important to us that Q time, I want it to be as short and fair as possible.

My experience this time should have been very good. I was first in line. Charged out on the green with enough fuel for 2 timed laps. First one was reasonable (and counted), second one I hit traffic (and that was at Spa). The two timed lap option is always going to be a lucky dip unless you bail out of the first too find a good gap.

If the idea is that we sort roughly into order of likely speed so that we don't get impeded, then why not just run superpole where we are guaranteed to have no traffic?
I would agree if the sorting out was an "un-natural act", but in my view it is a natural act, at least when considering the general PrestoGP approach, where we do not wish to create problems for co-racers.

Everybody knows their rough qual pace, and will have no problem placing themselves roughly in line accordingly.

Having said all this, I am among those who dont practice much for qualfy, and I can understand those in the front fighting for tenths and hundreds have a different view than me.

My reason for wishing the open format is that I enjoy seeing many cars on the track, and I also like the added element of strategy/mix up.

We need to reach a conclusion on this matter.

I think we should try the same format in one more race, but this time with the shared knowledge that those who line up at start of qualify leaves the pit roughly according to pace. Also we should all think that it is better to ruin your own qualify lap than someone else's

I'm sorry but I don't see how letting the fastest drivers 'bubble up' during the outlap is more reliable than starting the outlap already sorted.
I worded myself poorly. I agree that we should be more or less sorted when leaving the pits. The outlap is only for some "last tuning" if needed.

It easy to see who is in front with tag names, but i'm never sure who is behind unless he is very close to me and i recognize his skin.
I agree. Therefore we need to be sorted when leaving the pits. But if one can tell that the car behind is faster it would not be wrong to invite him to pass you on the outlap :)

Last edited:
Lets keep it natural, i for sure know when to go out as i'm most likely the last on the starting grid ;) At Spa i went in the midpack and while i did manage to "carve" my space, i have no clue how it affected the people further down the line. Humility is usually not in race drivers vocabulary but i think that's what is needed...

And everyone needs to switch to primarily one attempt in their mind, if we do this then we have plenty of time and space...

Its how I would do it with 1 run then you get best of tires and rad 1 with lightest fuel run to so best chance to do a fastest lap, also doing superpole for so long being all on 1 lap is what we pretty used to anyway.

Only thing I would say about the open q session is I to don't really see much point if we all only doing 1 lap anyway to and only 7 mins, if we had enough time to even have at least 2 attempts then id see more of a use for it.

For example now thinking if we have 1 shot at it should be enough time and space, well if its time and space and short q we are after, superpoles the answer isn't it ?

If we looking to have pressure of finding area on track and/or having another attempt at a lap and possibly banging in new pole time last seconds in q when someone is sitting thinking they have pole in the bag then I think ideally 10 mins at least to 15 mins q really needed to have this kind of fun.

Im not fussed either way what q is anyway, but think these are the only way it makes sense logically, even if we decided to have more time in q and break into practise or overrun at the end or superpole or to continue 7mins open q.
Id be fine with any of these providing i could make race :thumbsup: (looking good again for this week only had 20 mins practise though lol)

Only thing I would say about the open q session is I to don't really see much point if we all only doing 1 lap anyway to and only 7 mins, if we had enough time to even have at least 2 attempts then id see more of a use for it.

I think it is only at Spa, Abu D. and also Singapore and Suzuka that we don't have time for 2 attempts. but, for some drivers, doing outlap +2 timed laps is a valuable option.

Singapore and Suzuka is the treshold length, where it is acctually possible for at least the first couple of cars, 2 do two laps if all goes well.

I think this system allows for all to get one unhindered lap in, like super pole, but in addition throws in some spice in form of
-other cars on tracks,
-options for additional qualify strategies
-variation of strategy options depending on track length

Last edited:
When thinking of more than 1 attempt to I was trying to consider it for everyone to have 2 attempts, like you say only 1st 2 or 3 drivers out pits would have a chance of coming back in and having another attempt most other tracks also.

I agree there will be other cars on track and did look more fun that way, but I didnt do a lap I just watched q last race so maybe ive not got best idea from it, but not sure if there is any additional strategies or that, really only strategy is going to be for everyone is get some free space for a lap and the added spice is just going to be people who couldn't get space they wanted and affect there lap.
If we take Singapore at laps of 1m44secs everyone's really only got 2 mins 30 secs to find space and then be on out lap to start a lap in time to finish the qualifier. At the expense of a additional 3 mins I think it would be more than worth it for this type of qualifying. In f1 they get to finish a lap that has begin so mostly they have around 11m30secs to find space and start there laps and f1 are probably around 15 to 20 secs a lap faster to also with less cars on track at that time. If comparing our Singapore q time to f1 wise we have a 5 mins 15 secs q session.

Maybe a highly competitive scenario is better fitted for this way but not sure for here, im sure everyone in Presto would rather everyone got a good chance at doing there qualifying lap without being unlucky traffic wise with it being a little rushed time wise.

but not sure if there is any additional strategies or that, really only strategy is going to be for everyone is get some free space for a lap and the added spice is just going to be people who couldn't get space they wanted and affect there lap.
That is the key aspect of this qualify format, if it is to work we need to line up roughly accordingly to pace at the start of qualify, and this way everybody have one traffic free timed lap in the bank. If we are not able to do this, then I do not wish this format either.

I claim this is the natural way to do this, and we would have learned it by ourself within a few races. The thing is that
a) we have never respected the red light at end of pit line before, therefore we have never lined up before
b) slower drivers find out they get disturbed if the car behind catch up with them and wants to avoid this in future
c) faster drivers wants to avoid catching up with car ahead and learns he need to close to front in the line up.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back