Pure vs Vanilla weather

Installed vanilla ac recently and decided to remember how it looks, and was very surprized by the looks of it, specifically the atmosphere shades, rendering and the feeling of depth.

some screenshots of the vanilla weather VS Pure:

Pure:
p.jpg

Vanilla:
v.jpg

Dash view Pure:
p.jpg

Dash view Vanilla:
v.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks vanilla looks better?

Last edited:
In your PURE examples, it looks like the sun is actually working, unlike the vanilla AC example.

You can configure fog, humidity values, etc, to give that hazy background if thats what you are after.

The real question is:
Why a normal clear weather already should look like haze or fog?

Wouldn't it be better you can decide that yourself? Sure fog will always give you more depth feel, esp with distant fog. But with Pure you can customize that yourself. In vanilla AC you always have the fog. And with the new long distance tracks with far geometry, the distance is always covered in the technical fog vanilla AC uses to mask low detailed distance visuals. So esp a track like Mugello with its fake distance objects, fog was the only way to make lit look good. And it was a wise economic decision by Kunos!

BTW a clear weather:
2024-01-18_19h34_12.jpg

and a customized mist:
2024-01-18_19h36_21.jpg

Last edited:
Totally agree that providing the option is better than forced mist/fog.
I am aware that with some track adjustments I can bring the distant fog back up - but not as well as you did above :D

Before I'll continue I just wanna take the opprotunity - as one who makes a living from (mobile) game developement for the last 10 years - Peter what you are doing in the game, and to the game, is extremly impressive! kudos!!

Probably i'm just lazy (and untalented) to adjust each track to my liking, and seeing the Y trees and low poly distant assets breaks the immersion for me (also someing with the color rendering of vegetation makes it better vanilla to my eyes, but I'm sure this can be adjusted as well)

I actually found a very nice solution to have very nice looking 24 hour weather which I like and use - and that's your GBW suite :) (just one thing left to figure out - why time is frozen when Weather FX is disabled)

Anyway - just wanted to share my opinion, and once again, thank you Peter for the amazing work, greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Totally agree that providing the option is better than forced mist/fog.
I am aware that with some track adjustments I can bring the distant fog back up - but not as well as you did above :D

Before I'll continue I just wanna take the opprotunity - as one who makes a living from (mobile) game developement for the last 10 years - Peter what you are doing in the game, and to the game, is extremly impressive! kudos!!

Probably i'm just lazy (and untalented) to adjust each track to my liking, and seeing the Y trees and low poly distant assets breaks the immersion for me (also someing with the color rendering of vegetation makes it better vanilla to my eyes, but I'm sure this can be adjusted as well)

I actually found a very nice solution to have very nice looking 24 hour weather which I like and use - and that's your GBW suite :) (just one thing left to figure out - why time is frozen when Weather FX is disabled)

Anyway - just wanted to share my opinion, and once again, thank you Peter for the amazing work, greatly appreciated!
You don't need track adjustments with pure. The weather makes the look. And for the above example I just changed 1 slider - the mist slider. Nothing more...

You see that I opened Pure Planner - the weather planning app delivered with Pure. There you define weather transitions and many other weather properties.

So actually the method behind pure is, that weather changes the look.

Last edited:
The real question is:
Why a normal clear weather already should look like haze or fog?

Wouldn't it be better you can decide that yourself? Sure fog will always give you more depth feel, esp with distant fog. But with Pure you can customize that yourself. In vanilla AC you always have the fog. And with the new long distance tracks with far geometry, the distance is always covered in the technical fog vanilla AC uses to mask low detailed distance visuals. So esp a track like Mugello with its fake distance objects, fog was the only way to make lit look good. And it was a wise economic decision by Kunos!

BTW a clear weather:View attachment 722581

and a customized mist:View attachment 722583

I got to say, I'd much prefer to have some pre-configurated "universal default" settings already well tweaked, and looking that good, right from the start, done by someone who knows what's it doing (the creators, no less). :) And then later, at some point, get into customized settings with time and patience (if the real need comes., that is).
Rather than feeling the need to tweak it right away because it looks "cartoony".

Last edited:
I got to say, I'd much prefer to have some pre-configurated "universal default" settings already well tweaked, and looking that good, right from the start, done by someone who knows what's it doing (the creators, no less). :) And then later, at some point, get into customized settings with time and patience (if the real need comes., that is).
Rather than feeling the need to tweak it right away because it looks "cartoony".
Peter’s weather system can only go so far. You are still running a 10 year old game, with 10 year old environments.

You’ll need to do a bit of work to make it all work… PP filters, try a few weather types, download better car, track mods, etc.

Default solution is… well… running the game without mods as it was originally created.

Peter’s weather system can only go so far. You are still running a 10 year old game, with 10 year old environments.

You’ll need to do a bit of work to make it all work… PP filters, try a few weather types, download better car, track mods, etc.

Default solution is… well… running the game without mods as it was originally created.
I'm not sure if you intended to reply to me (?) but I'm not new to modding and am well aware of the "bit of work to make it all work".
All I was saying is that the PURE settings could do with some work in atmospheric Haze/Mist by default, and I'd rather have them "nice" (like Peter exemplified himself) right from the start, even knowing there are settings to mess with.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you intended to reply to me (?) but I'm not new to modding and am well aware of the "bit of work to make it all work".
All I was saying is that the PURE settings could do with some work in atmospheric Haze/Mist by default, and I'd rather have them "nice" (like Peter exemplified himself) right from the start, even knowing there are settings to mess with.
Replying to you…

“Nice” is subjective, I for one prefer a clear look.

All I’m saying is that there’s no universal default when it comes to weather.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys, we all agree that's subjective - and the fact that we have the option is the best solution for each player to choose with their own eyes.

Pure, CSP and the work behind it is still an amazing achivement!
Still haven't found a way to make the time advance without Weather FX (basically time is frozen to the time on CM), any chance one of you know how to mitigate this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 188 87.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 34 15.9%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 30 14.0%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 59 27.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 73 34.1%