F1 2013 PS3 - R&D in career

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
Excuse for being ignorant, but what does the r&d do for me? Like the 3 consecutive laps at good speed?

And in the car set up, under engine, what's all the row of locked boxes for?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi

Research & Development will eventually get your team/car better brakes, aerodynamics, cooling ..... that sort of thing. Usually the number 1 driver in the team will get the updates before the number 2 driver.

So your car will get better throughout the racing season.

In the 2013 season, each car was allowed 5 gearboxes and 10 engines. Geaboxes are not simulated in the game, but the engines are. So those 10 boxes are the engines that have to last you the whole year.

So each engine has to last you about 2 races. You can save engines for tracks that stress the engine, and do you practice session on old engines. Bear in mind that changing an engine will cost you the rest of the session you are in at the time. This wasn't so bad in previous games, as there used to 3 practice sessions (like real life), but CM cut it to one session for this game, much to the annoyance of many people.

So by all means practice using your old engines, and change it to a new one (if you want) just before the session ends, so you don't lose much track time.

That's more or less what's happening ........

Hi

Research & Development will eventually get your team/car better brakes, aerodynamics, cooling ..... that sort of thing. Usually the number 1 driver in the team will get the updates before the number 2 driver.

In the 2013 season, each car was allowed 5 gearboxes and 10 engines. Geaboxes are not simulated in the game, but the engines are. So those 10 boxes are the engines that have to last you the whole year.

So each engine has to last you about 2 races. You can save engines for tracks that stress the engine, and do you practice session on old engines. Bear in mind that changing an engine will cost you the rest of the session you are in at the time. This wasn't so bad in previous games, as there used to 3 practice sessions (like real life), but CM cut it to one session for this game, much to the annoyance of many people.

So by all means practice using your old engines, and change it to a new one (if you want) just before the session ends, so you don't lose much track time.

Thanks very much, so when I see the quote in practise saying" do 3 consecutive laps" I should do them, how do I know they are successfully done? Does it tell me?

Usually you have a choice, you can go out onto the track, or you can do the R&D. If you are comfortable that you know the track well enough, and can do a reasonable time, then you should do the R&D, it's actually not that hard.

If you are unfamiliar with the track, then just go out and do some practice laps. Once you are more comfortable, go back to the pits, and adjust your car settings and change tyres as necessary. You will still have the choice to do the R&D if you wish.

When you are out on track doing the R&D, the engineer let's you know what to do, and will tell you when it's over. Also you will see R&D in the top right of you screen. When the R&D is finished you will see the normal lap counter in the top right instead.

Oh ok, so the option will list in the menu to my left, where it say go to track? I just select r&d,
Haven't noticed that, I'm now at japan, in force India, sitting 10th in championship,

I haven't done any r&d , but will now, I have been offered two contracts, caterham and murrisso( is that spelt right)

Was hoping to get better offer after dominating my team mate.

I'm on 50% race distance.

Hi

you're wrong 8 engines on this game and in 2013

Usually you have a choice, you can go out onto the track, or you can do the R&D. If you are comfortable that you know the track well enough, and can do a reasonable time, then you should do the R&D, it's actually not that hard.

If you are unfamiliar with the track, then just go out and do some practice laps. Once you are more comfortable, go back to the pits, and adjust your car settings and change tyres as necessary. You will still have the choice to do the R&D if you wish.

When you are out on track doing the R&D, the engineer let's you know what to do, and will tell you when it's over. Also you will see R&D in the top right of you screen. When the R&D is finished you will see the normal lap counter in the top right instead.
I think R&D not improves you at all once in a season I never done any R&D and it felt the same as I done with upgrades. accoring laptimes and racepace.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%