Proximity indicator

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
How many here would agree that the Helicorsa app should be official content...or something very much like it?
The default 'red arrow' indicator (which is one of the first things I disable) is just useless on triple screens...I find the Helicorsa app invaluable for a proximity display...I have it just offset to the right side of center view and roughly in the middle height wise so that it is nearly in my center view but I can register what it is telling me without moving my eyes from the road ahead...for such a useful app I find it also so unobtrusive and doesnt interfere with my view in any way...Kudos and thanks to the dev.
Regards

Of course I agree with your opinion Helicorsa is much better than the original red arrows. The app allows a better assessment of where the other drivers are. Especially on single screen without the advantage of the much wider field of view of a triple screen setup.

Of course I agree with your opinion Helicorsa is much better than the original red arrows. The app allows a better assessment of where the other drivers are. Especially on single screen without the advantage of the much wider field of view of a triple screen setup.

Even with Triple screens the red arrow appears on the outside of the side monitors meaning unless I look left/right I dont see the arrow until it closes in to the center screen. (unless there is a setting I am unaware of).

Having triple screens should allow you to see out of your side windows, at least most of it. Also should be able to see side and rear view mirrors, so basically can see almost the same as a real car, therefore no need for an app like that.

Sure, stuff like Helicorsa and Crew Chief should definitely be part of the "normal" package for sims going forward. Even modern day race cars have software to indicate cars in their proximity, no shame in us simmers using or wanting the same.

I aim for a fair amount of immersion, so the red indicators and also heli corsa aren't my choice.

Instead I use mirrors, sounds and the spotter of the very great crew chief app to get an idea where opponents are. Add the attitude to leave your opponent some space if required and you're ready for some clean racing, even through T1 of lap 1.

Nevertheless mistakes can happen... ;)

Clean racing > pure immersion
Pure immersion without apps just using the camera and mirrors, or at the very least the red arrows can make you more alert of the track and opponents.
The apps can't predict what opponents will do, which if you pay attention to the "clean racing" apps you won't pay attention to fast actions from your opponents and thus clean racing will be destroyed by accidents. Maybe crew chief spotting the car is better than helicorsa and red arrows.

Absolutely agree. Watching helicorsa might make you miss the exact moment when something happens around you.

I better trust my senses so crew chief's spotter is a huge help. It works very well in a fight, when the spotter tells you if there's someone next to you and when it's clear. Makes things much safer.

Using only a half of Helicorsa ... is enough for me.;)

On a road track, I don't need to see the position of all cars for the reason Reik Major just mentioned... just the ones being at my sides or nearly at my sides is enough. ... so I'm only using the yellow-red radiant lights ... and it works pretty well that way as I know then when another car is left or right at the sides of my car.

For ovals, that's surely useful to know the position of all cars near your own ...

Crew Chief is also very fine ... except when having to use TeamSpeak at the same time.

Personally I don't use Helicorsa anymore because it is too CPU intensive and my framerate makes a huge dip with it enabled on a larger grid. If it was official content it'd need to have that resolved for me to want to use it.

I've replaced it entirely with CrewChief crew radio/spotter and while it's certainly not perfect and you don't know exactly where someone is it makes you more cautious in general and use your view and mirrors more. Haven't had any issues with not seeing and crashing into other cars since.

Absolutely agree. Watching helicorsa might make you miss the exact moment when something happens around you.

I better trust my senses so crew chief's spotter is a huge help. It works very well in a fight, when the spotter tells you if there's someone next to you and when it's clear. Makes things much safer.

You don't need to watch it though, I can see if it's turning yellow/orange/red in my peripheral vision without taking my eyes off the road and that's generally more than enough to let me know another car is near me. I find it to be very valuable, even on my triple screen setup. As far as immersion goes, the C7r does something very similar with its fancy radar system, so it's not entirely unrealistic or anti-immersion. ;)

The crew chief/spotter is nice but it's a no-go if you're racing online with Teamspeak because everyone else on the server is going to hear your spotter talking to you which is annoying and distracting. If you don't have TS on then no worries, of course.

The crew chief/spotter is nice but it's a no-go if you're racing online with Teamspeak because everyone else on the server is going to hear your spotter talking to you which is annoying and distracting. If you don't have TS on then no worries, of course.
How would they hear that but not your engine and other sounds? Pretty sure most people use headsets for TS so others can't hear any game sounds. I know I do, and TS + Crew Chief work fine together.

How would they hear that but not your engine and other sounds? Pretty sure most people use headsets for TS so others can't hear any game sounds. I know I do, and TS + Crew Chief work fine together.

Derp. I've not used the Crew Chief and didn't think that it would come through your headset, total brain glitch there. I just know I've raced with some people where their Crew Chief was running through their speakers and their mic kept picking it up which was highly annoying, that's where my comment came from but obviously I didn't fully think that through. :sick:

I don't need it, one quick click on rear view gives me all the info I need to do in that situation.
If they are along side, why do people need a app for that? Work on your awareness and know what line you should use.

I'm not sure that I have my monitors setup properly judging by the comments here about being able to see whats next to you...I cant see any cars that are next to me unless I use the look left/right options (which I never do because that kinda spins my head out lol)...yes i can see the side and rear view mirrors and I do use them but I find that helicorsa just gives me that little extra info for, say, I am coming out of a bend and putting my foot down and I know there is a car right next to me it just gives me a better idea of how much room I have etc and when I can safely cut back in to the racing line without causing an accident...I just find it the best tool for giving me a better sense of spatial awareness and whats going on around me without too much distraction, to prevent knocks etc.
Regards

I'm not sure that I have my monitors setup properly judging by the comments here about being able to see whats next to you...I cant see any cars that are next to me unless I use the look left/right options (which I never do because that kinda spins my head out lol)...yes i can see the side and rear view mirrors and I do use them but I find that helicorsa just gives me that little extra info for, say, I am coming out of a bend and putting my foot down and I know there is a car right next to me it just gives me a better idea of how much room I have etc and when I can safely cut back in to the racing line without causing an accident...I just find it the best tool for giving me a better sense of spatial awareness and whats going on around me without too much distraction, to prevent knocks etc.
Regards
With triple screens you should be able to see out your side windows, your nearest one just use your eyes to see out of it, the other one as in a real car you have to move your head slightly. cutting out the need to use left right buttons. Best thing I did getting triple screens. Gives you that bit more peripheral vision.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back