PC1 Project CARS released on Steam. PS4 and Xbox One digital pre-orders available in Europe.

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Project Cars.jpg

A few moments ago Windows PC users worldwide who have ordered their copies of Project Cars online via Steam received the long awaited message to finally start their engines and play their new game.

Digital pre-ordered versions for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One are now available throughout Europe as well.

Let us know in the comments below what your first impressions are of Slightly Mad Studios' long anticipated multi-platform racing game.

@Bram Hengeveld some the cars you need to increase the overall mz I believe it is to 34-40 bmanic posted a very good start up point for the ffb I'll try to find.

Bmanic

The most important parameter to check that it's set to 100 is the Force Feedback Strength parameter in the main controller menu. It defaults for many wheels at 75 and some wheels at 50 which is completely wrong. Then make sure FFB damping saturation (the next parameter under FFB strength) is set to zero.

After this I suggest using Real Gain parameter (first value to 0.98, second to 0.1 and last value again t 0.98) unless you have a direct drive wheel (2000$+ wheel).. or even the Fanatec CSW v2.

Then finally remove all smoothing in the car setup FFB menu. All cars default to 0.1 Fx Smoothing which is stupid.

Then I suggest setting the values for most cars like this (note that his is very subjective though. You need to adapt the FFB to your own type of driving):

Fx = 48
Fy = 44
Fz = 54
Mz = 100

Then the top parameter (master scale) to your preferred setting. I usually have it at around 34 to 40, depending on how heavy FFB I want.

Finally one of the most important and one of the most difficult to understand and tweakparameters is called Spindle Arm Angle (or just spindle arm). You can ONLY find it in each car's setup screen when you are NOT in the actual practice/qualifying/race session. So from the main menu go into car setup editing and you will find it as the last value. Many cars have this setting quite nicely set but some cars have it completely wrong. This setting is key to getting a proper feel of the forces through the whole range of slip angles. If you set the value too low you'll have a very tightly centered wheel with little FFB once you cross over optimum slip angle. If you set the value too high the opposite happens.. the wheel is very light and "slow" in the middle and gets progressively stronger the more you turn the wheel. Set it just right and your wheel will be giving you amazing detail.

EDIT: One last note: My way of tweaking FFB is purely based on laptimes. I tweak until I get the ultimate consistent laptimes. I don't care at all about trying to get a wheel to feel "realistic" (which would be completely dead in a normal car) nor do I try to get it "heavy and bumpy". I just tweak it for ultimate important physics information fidelity. I want to know exactly when I'm not at optimum grip levels. This is the only fairly OBJECTIVE way of tweaking FFB because I can directly measure it. I drive 5 laps around Silverstone with default FFB. Check my laptimes. I then tweak the FFB and drive 5 more laps then compare the laptimes. Did I do better? Did I do worse? It's like tweaking a car setup.

FFB can have a HUGE impact on your laptimes, especially if it is "wrongly set". It can truly work against you and make the car feel very odd if it's badly setup. But get it just right and you can vastly improve the laptimes and as an added bonus you wont be spinning and crashing as often either.

Last edited:
Can t exactly discribe but i took a gt3 went to spa and drove a couple of laps and Didn t have one Tricky Moment... No Chance of loosing the car... (without any aids...)
Yeah, GT3 cars are grippy but I have driven many miles on Nordschleife in AC and pCARS - I don't find AC harder, I can enjoy both but I had better AI races in pCARS. Try some other cars, if you are starting with GT3 you are starting with some of the best handling cars. How you compare to others will be the telling story. Easy to drive until you push and try to set a top leaderboard time.

For me the lack of full triple screen support was a bit of a disappointment if i am honest.

I have got spoiled by both iracing.com and Assetto Corsa triple screen support.

I will have to play around with the FOV values that we have and see if i can find something that works for me as i want to see what the British tracks are going to like to race on.

Also where is the option to turn off wheel and hands in cockpit view please.

Jason.

GT3 is an easy point of comparison & i think they drive very, very similarly. you can get on the slip a bit in pCARS even in GT3 w/ default settings (TC on). its certainly not more on-rails than optimum grip track in AC; from the little ive driven anyway i would put it somewhere between AC on green track & iracing. which to me is just about right.

I browsed to the online races and I saw there was a race in the vintage SPA track. Yet, I don't have that track in my list. What's up with that?
Note that I didn't buy anything since I was on pCARS from the very beginning. Is there something I have to do to get the extra tracks?

Most cars are are rather easy to drive with default setup, thats mainly because the default setups are same for pc/ps4 versions & are tailored in as pad users on mind. Just take a look to differential settings on car setup for example. Overall setups are conservative, made towards understeer that pad users can drive it aswell.

Increase some power, take some coast off & maybe make some aero changes and it gets a lot trickier ;)

Last edited:
Great racing game so far. The only complaints I have are:
-Rolling starts are a mess, cars can't keep the formation before the green.
-MP people complain when I set random weather when I'm host (looks like they dislike the challenge of driving in ever changing condition :p )

@Bram Hengeveld some the cars you need to increase the overall mz I believe it is to 34-40 bmanic posted a very good start up point for the ffb I'll try to find.

Bmanic

The most important parameter to check that it's set to 100 is the Force Feedback Strength parameter in the main controller menu. It defaults for many wheels at 75 and some wheels at 50 which is completely wrong. Then make sure FFB damping saturation (the next parameter under FFB strength) is set to zero.

After this I suggest using Real Gain parameter (first value to 0.98, second to 0.1 and last value again t 0.98) unless you have a direct drive wheel (2000$+ wheel).. or even the Fanatec CSW v2.

Then finally remove all smoothing in the car setup FFB menu. All cars default to 0.1 Fx Smoothing which is stupid.

Then I suggest setting the values for most cars like this (note that his is very subjective though. You need to adapt the FFB to your own type of driving):

Fx = 48
Fy = 44
Fz = 54
Mz = 100

Then the top parameter (master scale) to your preferred setting. I usually have it at around 34 to 40, depending on how heavy FFB I want.

Finally one of the most important and one of the most difficult to understand and tweakparameters is called Spindle Arm Angle (or just spindle arm). You can ONLY find it in each car's setup screen when you are NOT in the actual practice/qualifying/race session. So from the main menu go into car setup editing and you will find it as the last value. Many cars have this setting quite nicely set but some cars have it completely wrong. This setting is key to getting a proper feel of the forces through the whole range of slip angles. If you set the value too low you'll have a very tightly centered wheel with little FFB once you cross over optimum slip angle. If you set the value too high the opposite happens.. the wheel is very light and "slow" in the middle and gets progressively stronger the more you turn the wheel. Set it just right and your wheel will be giving you amazing detail.

EDIT: One last note: My way of tweaking FFB is purely based on laptimes. I tweak until I get the ultimate consistent laptimes. I don't care at all about trying to get a wheel to feel "realistic" (which would be completely dead in a normal car) nor do I try to get it "heavy and bumpy". I just tweak it for ultimate important physics information fidelity. I want to know exactly when I'm not at optimum grip levels. This is the only fairly OBJECTIVE way of tweaking FFB because I can directly measure it. I drive 5 laps around Silverstone with default FFB. Check my laptimes. I then tweak the FFB and drive 5 more laps then compare the laptimes. Did I do better? Did I do worse? It's like tweaking a car setup.

FFB can have a HUGE impact on your laptimes, especially if it is "wrongly set". It can truly work against you and make the car feel very odd if it's badly setup. But get it just right and you can vastly improve the laptimes and as an added bonus you wont be spinning and crashing as often either.
Will be very excellent if can show all those setting suggestion in image, if possible :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back