PC1 Project CARS Release VR Improvements in New Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS VR Update.jpg

In a surprise move for fans of the Project CARS game, Slightly Mad Studios have deployed a new update to the Steam version of the title adding further development to the already outstanding Virtual Reality (VR) implementation, brining the current build to version 11.2.

Intended to produce a clearer image with a reduction in both shimmering and aliasing artifacts when using a VR headset in Project CARS, the new update will surely be well received by those fortunate enough to own both a VR headset and a copy of the game. Project CARS is already widely acknowledged as one of the best VR experiences in Sim Racing, enough so the game is actually featured on the Oculus Rift store itself, and the new update is a welcome early Christmas present for players who considered development closed on the game as SMS pour resources into the upcoming Project CARS 2, due to release late next year.

So what does the new update do, and how do you activate it? Well SMS have been kind enough to explain in the patch notes for the new update, which can be read below:

"Look in this folder: \Users\<current user>\Documents\Project CARS\

Depending on the HMD you're using...
Oculus Rift, edit: oculussettings.xml
HTC Vive, edit: openvrsettings.xml

Look for a line called "<prop name="ResScale" data="1" />"

Change the number after 'data=' to whatever you want to set your super sampling to. Higher numbers will increase the resolution, while lowering the number will decrease the resolution. We recommend starting with a value around 1.5 and experimenting with it from there. How much you can push this will depend on your GPU".

Project CARS is available for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Currently the title is reduced by 60% and is available for £9.99 on Steam (PC only).

Check out the Project CARS forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions regarding Project CARS on both PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Browse out modding database, engage with the community or join in one of our many League and Club Racing events. Its all here at RaceDepartment.

Have you tried the latest Project CARS VR update? How do you find VR in the title? Does Project CARS VR compare favourably to Assetto Corsa? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I tried the 1.5 setting in Pcars and didn't see much of a difference. It just created some stuttering. The way I tell is by looking at the flag poles on the side of the track or the lettering on the other cars as I pass them. If there is ghosting or a blurring then it's set too high. I also tried 1.2 but didn't see much of an improvement, so I just went back to 1.0.

There is a also a separate setting in the debug tool for the Oculus to increase supersampling. So I wonder which one is better to use? Or use both?

Personally I've had a love/hate relationship with Pcars since the beginning. From the FFB to the performance, Pcars has been nothing but a tweak fest since the day it came out. Seems like I'm constantly tweaking trying to get the right feel, and this was way before the VR addition. There's been several times when I get the FFB to feel half way decent and then they push some update, which screws things up and the tweaking process starts all over again. I think Pcars failed in many areas and I will not be jumping on the the Pcars 2 band wagon. I guess the point I'm trying to make is I'm tweaked out with Pcars. :O_o: And now they've added something else to tweak. :cautious:

When compared to AMS or AC, the FFB in Pcars is sad. Way too much time is spent with way too many settings. Which doesn't seem to do much half the time, and the end result is still not optimal. If a third party, as in Jack Spade, has to create a system to filter through all the FFB settings, then that might be a clue for the developers to improve their system. Look at the former GSCE and now AMS for example. Simple settings and the FFB is amazing. Each car has great FFB out of the gate with no tweaking involved!

I think SMS purposefully cluttered the FFB system in an attempt to hide their crappy baseline FFB. Confuse the user, where the user thinks they're doing something wrong. :laugh: But hey, don't get me wrong, I have over 400 hrs with Pcars, (probably a 100 hrs in tweaking...lol) :p but it has been fun. The detail in the graphics, the amount of cars and tracks you get in the base game, the weather and rain effects, these are all top notch. Maybe SMS can get it right next time, but I honestly feel if they couldn't get the FFB right the first time, then the same code will be used with the same results. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Dear Mr FlyGasm.
Maybe I was in the wrong thread, I don't post much, so I don't understand the unwritten rules if you like.
I am retired, at 50, due to ill health, my son runs the company, we/he sells things, shall we say.
So, I am always interested in feedback.
Anyway, respect to you, and your friends, from me.
Thread back on track.
Thanks,

Tim

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back