PC2 Project CARS Release Confirmed for September 22nd, New Trailer and Porsche

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Porsche 3.jpg

Project CARS 2 will release this September 22nd it has finally been confirmed, plus Slightly Mad Studios reveal the first batch of Porsche cars coming to the game and a new trailer!

With the game widely promoted by Slightly Mad Studios over the past few weeks, excitement has continued to build amongst the sim racing community as fans eagerly await evidence that SMS have taken on-board the often justified criticism of the original game.

Expected to be bigger and better than its older brother Project CARS 1, the new title will continue the tradition of incorporating a wide and diverse selection of both road and racing cars from a number of different eras of automotive history. Coupled with the expected class leading graphics and a bunch of new features either expanded from the original title or brought to the franchise for the first time, on paper at least the new Project CARS 2 game does look to contain all the individual elements required for an instant classic release. However despite the overwhelmingly positive (admittedly self generated) hype around the game, many fans who perceived the original title to fall below expectations will continue to remain cautious until getting their hands on the game for themselves later this year.

As part of the upcoming E3 event Slightly Mad Studios have at least kept to the first promise made for the new game, with September 22nd now revealed as the official release date on both consoles and PC confirmed and in the bag, Initially teased by SMS Studio Head Ian Bell several weeks ago, September is officially confirmed alongside the list of Porsche cars scheduled to be included in the vanilla version of the title (see full list below).

Project CARS 2 Porsche Release List:
  • 911 GT1-98
  • 911 GT3 R (991)
  • 911 GT3 R Endurance (991)
  • 911 GT3 RS
  • 918 Spyder
  • 935/77
  • 935/80
  • 936 Spyder
  • 962C
  • 962C Langheck
  • Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Project CARS 2 is very much shaping up to be one of the most potentially interesting releases of 2017 in the sim racing world, and with big budgets, big name drivers, big manufacturers and plenty of content and features to try out this September it will be interesting to see how the game stacks up to its immediate rivals September 22nd!

Project CARS 2 will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC 22nd September 2017.

Project CARS 2 Porsche 1.jpg
Project CARS 2 Porsche 4.jpg
Project CARS 2 Porsche 6.jpg
Project CARS 2 Porsche 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 Porsche 5.jpg
Project CARS 2 Porsche 7.jpg
Project CARS 2 Porsche 8.jpg
Project CARS 2 Porsche 9.jpg

The Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for all the latest news and discussion around this exciting new game from Slightly Mad Studios. Check out the sub forum, get involved in the discussion and join our community as we await release later this year!

Looking forward to the new game? Excited to see Porsche coming to the sim? What new cars and tracks have you noticed in the latest trailer? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
1 day after my b-day =3 I will buy it for sure but tbh, I dont really expect a lot from the handling model/FFB as that was the major reason why I left the pCars1 pretty quick. Hoping to see this game being actually realeased on 22nd of september... Otherwise, SMSoon...

Last edited:
Finally something to look forward to at the END of Summer. Perfect timing for a long season of Sim racing. Despite all the complaints by many I really enjoyed Pcars1. It took a bit of work to get everything setup right as far as FFB, controller and graphic settings, but it was awesome when it ran good. I put well over 500 hours racing that title and will be buying Pcars 2 as soon as it becomes available on the PC. Had Pcars 1 not gotten so buggy at the end I would have continued racing it. Hopefully they will realase an even better product this time without all the bugs and EXCEPTION_ACCES_VIOLATION errors that drove me off of it. But I had tons of good racing on it initially, and I think the graphics and the physics were awesome. The multiplayer code was good too especially from a dedicated server. I am really looking forward to a polished product release this time around, and will spend even more time on it if it does as advertised. I see nothing out there that could compete if it is mostly bug free this time.

I still enjoy flogging around in Project CARS 1, and I for one will be ordering Project CARS 2 when it becomes available.
BTW:The 'Rothman-ish' logos are quite legit and the 'Martini-ish' stripes are just stripes.

Again, very very nice looking, but there is "STILL" no mention of physics updates, handling updates, bug fixes from P1

All very well looking pretty, but it needs to handle pretty as well :D

There is a large Q&A thread on GTP with Ian where there were several physics answers. IIRC, you cannot post direct links to other sites here but it's easy enough to find if you go there.

To be honest, you would say that. And if I remember correctly, you also said it last time too. I'll judge it myself though and if it's not as good as you make it out to be, I will get a refund. But one can live in hope. :)

There seems to be an undercurrent of people that feel like SMS are lying if they don't like the game.
Of course a developer is going to be happy with their work and think it is good or great. IGN rated PC1 an 8.9 out of 10----- a lot of people liked it. Many of us who are into simulation instead of just racing games found the handling pretty flawed. This all nets out to a difference in opinion. SMS can say it is great and some of us can disagree and that does not mean either group are intentionally deceiving the other.

There seems to be an undercurrent of people that feel like SMS are lying if they don't like the game.
Of course a developer is going to be happy with their work and think it is good or great. IGN rated PC1 an 8.9 out of 10----- a lot of people liked it. Many of us who are into simulation instead of just racing games found the handling pretty flawed. This all nets out to a difference in opinion. SMS can say it is great and some of us can disagree and that does not mean either group are intentionally deceiving the other.
Agreed, but if they are advertising it as an simulation, then it will need to live up to the expectations of a sim driver, no?

Agreed, but if they are advertising it as an simulation, then it will need to live up to the expectations of a sim driver, no?
Personally I thought the physics model in Pcars1 was quite good. I did a lot of work to get the sim to drive to my liking by spending lots of time tweaking everything. I feel the handling was very realistic. I am an old school racer, started racing in the early 70's and road raced different classes for over 25 years. While not having driven F1 or prototype cars, I got the opportunity to drive many different class cars on track and have a really good expectation of what each should feel like when driving them in anger. It is why I believe many of the complaints I hear about the handling in Pcars1 are coming from guys that did not get their settings tweaked to their liking, or simply have no idea what some of these cars handle like on a real world track. Perhaps lacking real world experience racing many of these cars, or experience on vintage tires.
When you see drivers like Chris Goodwin, and Patrick Long working on the in game handling you need to consider the effort that is going into this to make it as good as technology will allow. There will always be guys that will like one sim over another. Personally I don't really like the handling in Iracing even though I loved the Papyrus titles. As sim racers we perceive what we feel is real but in reality most time you will find no two drivers want the car setup exactly the same. So different styles favor different approaches. As great as Shumacher was with Ferrari and Benetton, he was not well suited to the handling characteristics of the new tires when he came back with Mercedes. Does that mean the car sucked??? Why was Nico able to drive it so well then?
I think SMS can and has delivered a world class sim, but it may not be for everyone, GPL was way too hard for a lot of people to enjoy but for those of us that made it a challenge it was an epic journey. I think there will always be doubters and mockers that feel they elevate themselves by attempting to downgrade others. I hope people will spend time tweaking in the handling characteristics of Pcars2 to get the full benefit of it when released. I spent many hours tweaking Sim commander settings after purchasing my Accuforce and have been rewarded with a polished product for putting in the extra effort. I have no worries or doubt Pcars2 can deliver. As sim racers we should unite and get behind these companies that supply our hobby with software rather than constantly complain and whine about what we don't like. Let's all be proactive and make suggestions and specific references that can push these titles forward, rather than mock and berate the guys who strive to make our hobby better by supplying new technologies and pushing current technologies to the limits. I can remember playing World circuit and Indianapolis 500 and having fun, but those were no sims. What we have today is better than ever because of the efforts of dedicated individuals who have made a career out of supplying our hobby. Please let's all try to work with them and not against them to continuously improve the breed.

That undercurrent is due to bad memories of PC1. Yes, that game was fine for the average IGN gamepad player who runs 5 lap quick races and such. It did not work so well for sim racing enthusiasts.

PC1 could still be a great racing sim. They just never got around to finishing it, after prematurely releasing it in the first place. They're still fixing typos and other bugs in NFS:Shift 2, which is another SMS game that, with more QA and time/attention, could've been excellent (the guys over at Nogrip eventually achieved this after years of digging through the code).

Do you see a pattern emerging?

The way I see it, SMS has this one last chance to prove itself to the hardcore sim racing community. They've shown an ability to make flashy-looking games that suffer from a lack of attention to detail. Compare them to KS, who have never abandoned AC and continue to refine it 2 1/2 years after it was released.

SMS have never shown a willingness to actually finish or even try to finish one of their games. Instead, they've tended to announce sequels that (they promise) will finally rectify all the problems in the previous game. Hopefully that behavior was enforced on them from without (by publishers, financial backers etc), and doesn't represent some fundamental flaw in the way they approach development.

We'll see. I'm certainly hoping they pull it off.

Yes, we were great last time and absolutely epic this time.
You just love it don't you? The community will be the judge of it and by the community I mean the sim racing community, not the console car crashing kids that make you your money. Great reputation to have Ian. Loved by so many. :D But I will take whatever you say with a very fine grain of salt.

Yes, we were great last time and absolutely epic this time.
Very bold statement there Mr Ball. You was great last time, hmm, have you seen all the VT video of all the problems with PC1, the complaints, the amount of times you got in a heated discussion with people, need I go on?

Absolutely epic this time....hmm again who are you using for this judgement? Of course, your staff, the Beta Testers will say this, but how about this.......

Release a Demo version, 1 car 1 track and let us be the judge to see if we can backup your statement :thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%