PC1 Project CARS (pre-release thread)

Three months ago, Slightly Mad Studios’ Ian Bell shared his vision of a community-funded simulation title right here on VirtualR. What many may have dismissed as a very much utopianklar vision has gotten extremely real as the studio has been hard at work for the past few months to turn a great idea into a working project.

Named Community Assisted Race Sim, or C.A.R.S. for short, the project will allow ordinary sim racers to become investors in a racing simulation title and get a share of the profits and unmatched access to the development process and a say in the title’s direction.
For the past few months, the guys at Slightly Mad Studios have been hard at work on all fronts as Ian Bell has revealed some exclusive details on the team’s progress. The legal work on the project has just been completed and SMS is ready to launch the project’s website and accept investors within the next 2-3 weeks.

The studio will be offering investment options that will fit any budged, starting out with a 5€ option ending with gold-level commitment of 1000€ and beyond. All investors will be getting access to downloadable development builds throughout the development process, the level of investment will determine the amount of influence each member has though.

While every investor will get to vote on the direction the new title will take, gold members get to participate in board meetings where the bigger calls will be made, always considering the requests from the regular investors. Gold members will even get source-code access to the simulation while smaller investors will be given script access to play with.

Slightly Mad Studios promise a completely transparent development process as all investors get to follow every single bit of progress and every single discussion the developers will be having. The SMS team will work out in the open for all investors to see, there will be no closed-off development forum as all investors get to follow everything the development team does, “even the arguments,” as Ian Bell points out.

C.A.R.S will be used the stripped-down Shift 2 Unleashed engine as starting point, as the team will be adding new modules to it during the course of the development process, including a new DirectX 11 renderer, a new physics engine and new AI. Slightly Mad Studios expect a development cycle of at least 12 months until the finished product is ready, however all investors will be getting access to development builds throughout the process to keep everyone entertained.

Below is a first high-resolution preview, showing an immensely-detailed historical Lotus Formula One car in the garage. SMS is planning to release the first build shortly after the first investors joined, the first release will include a handful of cars and tracks to try out. The base content won’t be too advanced though as the investors will have the final say in the direction that the title will take and what content will be included.

SMS is planning to have fully-licensed content in the finished product, the team may be dealing with generic content in the development builds though while the licensing is being finalised in the background.
For years now, sim racers have been bemoaning the publishers lack of interest in sim racing and the missing influence on developing titles. It looks like Slightly Mad Studios will be changing all that with C.A.R.S.

GSUJJ.jpg

Link to VirtualR article

So my point is, why is anyone still buying games from developers controlled by corporate publishers, just because it says "simulation" on the box!? The original Gran Turismo also claimed to be "The only simulator" back in it's day, does anyone remember how bad that actually was?

If I want one thing to come from this C.A.R.S. effort, I want corporations to back off, go make games for children and blood thirsty FPS fans, and leave the simulations to those people who actually have experience in the field, rather than just a good imagination.

Do you really think that game developers create games because they love their customers so much :)? Like with any other business game developing or publishing is about one thing only: making profit and a living for those who work in the respective fields.

C.A.R.S will be no different. The person or investment company with the most shares will eventually decide the path to go. No criticism but that is the way things work unfortunately in this world.

Unfortunately I'm not a race car driver so I cannot judge whether the car handling in ANY game is simulated realistically. However, in case of S2U you're confusing a bad simulation with a badly set up car :) Shift 1 was dodgy IIRC with the constant sideways driving of most cars, but in S2U you can easily set up cars to be neutral on understeery as well. On top of that, the sound in S2U was tweaked to give the impression the car is sliding while it's not (yet).

The only main unrealistic thing remaining in S2U is the tyre sidewall stifnesses that were lowered in order to make the tyres respond less twitchy when using a digital controller, although the modders at NoGrip have found a good number of inaccuracies in the model parameters of many cars. The game certainly has its flaws, but so does GTR2, so does rFactor and iRacing apparently also feels totally different with the new tyre model which raises questions about the realism of that game, too, at least about the previous version :wink: Since I'm not a race car driver myself, I cannot judge what's realistic and what not, but if the cars act believably to me and the game is fun, I'm fine with it :)

While I have never driven a V8 Supercar, F1, Indy, GT2 corvette. I have driven and own a corvette. I have driven my car around turns that the signs say 25mph at 60+, I have driven it around turns that go over hills here and know exactly what weight transfer fells like. I have driven it when the rear end starts to let go and the grip is gone. I have also taken it from a stand still to 75mph+ in a few seconds without it losing grip. I can tell you this, I got Shift 2 and it was un-installed within 2 hours of being installed. Now I know these are all games, and I am a 100% content guy in iRacing. However here is the thing, there are those that are close and there are those that are nowhere near close to the real thing. IMO while Shift 2 looks great it is not a sim. Setups or not, I mean my Vette right now is exactly as it came from the factory minus the exaust that is on it now.

Do you really think that game developers create games because they love their customers so much :)? Like with any other business game developing or publishing is about one thing only: making profit and a living for those who work in the respective fields.

C.A.R.S will be no different. The person or investment company with the most shares will eventually decide the path to go. No criticism but that is the way things work unfortunately in this world.

Bram has an extremely good point here. Companies do not do things for nothing, owning two companies myself and a few others over the past 10 years I know. NOBODY does anything without thinking of what they could make off their work, nobody... Here are the facts like them or not. Whoever has the most money, has the most control and if you really think that joining them for the little $10 junior membership means a thing I'm sorry but you are in for a rude surprise. I would adore the thought of being able to be proven wrong about this but I highly doubt that will ever happen. They may take some of the good ideas they get from you by you "paying" to tell them however they will do what and where the "money" leads them.

Now all of that aside, I'm going to put this like I did in the iRacing forums here. If it is something you enjoy than that is what it is all about. Your enjoyment and nothing more...

Shift 2 is a nice game and deserves better than 2 hours gameplay. There is so much content in it that you can find a car that suits your driving tastes. Legend pack for itself makes it worth it...

The romantic in me likes the idea of investing in the dream. The realist in me wonders if the dream would become a nightmare. I may well invest, but would only do so in the same vein that I have a subscription to iRacing - to get access to the service and voice my tiny opinion in a forum.

I wouldn't be investing to satisfy my ego in the hope I could influence the development of this title. C.A.R.S might be good to have as a fun distraction from my major focus (iRacing).

The same goes for you... My father bought the game only for the Legends Pack...

Yes, models are great, sounds are good... But the driving, how is it supposed to be enjoyable, even when playing knowing it's not realistic ? This is just awful, and it's damn near impossible to drive in pack on top of that, especially because the steering is as precise as a drunk shooter and that the cars just go on top of eachother at the tiniest contact...

Yeah sure.
AMD CPU Phenom II 1100T Black Edition running between 3.3/4 and 3.7Ghz as standard, running at 20-30°C
Corsair H100 Hydro Series Extreme Performance CPU cooler
Asus Crosshair V Formula, AMD 990FX
4GB Asus HD 6990
16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600)
1050W PSU, Corsair Pro Series Gold HX1050, Modular
2x320GB Western Digital WD3200AAKX Caviar Blue, SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache on raid
Windows 7 64bit

I think its the GPU or the drivers/directx that they are having problems with, I was told it was the physicsx drivers but they are fine as I run Art programes like daz and bryce using physicsx and cad/photoshop.
Everything else I install runs sweet as a nut all on max settings, F1 2010, F1 2011, GTA V, Battlefield 3 beta (cant wait till that is released on the 25th)

The game is far more sim than it is arcade, dont forget its only 10% complete. Most people want it to be a sim racer,on there forums. And from wot ive played over the last few nights, thats the way its heading. The cars handle extremely well at this early stage and its only going to get better. I havent had any graphics problems (6950) it looks great and theres a good sense of speed.

Well, looks like someone doesn't sound very happy ? Also, everybody is entitled to his opinion ;)

Ok, if you want feedback from a former race car driver I can tell you that my father agreed that the 60's F1 had wayyyy too much grip (He raced Formula Ford so he knows what it should be like)... And I don't think I'm the only one thinking that ;)

But, as I said, since this is still a W.I.P, they can still make improvement, but at the moment, it's not very good... No need to go around crying like an insecure school girl who spent too much money on her make-up...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 306 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.6%