Project CARS Modding Questions & WIP

1. You need dummy bff's for your car (borrow them e.g. from zonda r mod by Autoprophet) in pakfiles/vehicles folder.
2. Ideally you need unpacked scion fr-s files because you will need a new (renamed to your car name) .crd, cdv, cgp, cdp. The last three are there to get animations for the driver and crd defines your car. In crd (a renamed copy of scion crd, which you should put in Scion folder in vehicles directory) change the name under
Code:
<prop name="Vehicle Physics Model" data=
to your new physics files. This will tell your car which vdfm to look for (this defines physics, whether turbo is on or off and wheel/tyres pffsets)
3. now you need to take care of the physics files, which include :
a. vehicle.vdfm (the name in the text portion defines which vehicle's physics your car will utilize, so if you put there e.g. ruf rgt8 then your car will use ruf physics, and you want your own custom name name for your revised physics)
b. chassis.cdfbin (use scion chassis renamed)
c. collison files (use scion renamed)
d. engine.edfbin (hex edit power curve; each new rpm torque/power data is preceded by 24 8B 0A B7 71 83 02 hex values so first Signed Short after such string is the rpm, then there's the float for compression and then the float for torque.
e. gearbox.gdfbin (renamed scion might work, depending on new power curve)
f. statistics.mrdf
g. suspension.sdfbin (renamed scion should work)
h. turbo.tbfbin (use shiimiis' translation to hex edit the file here
I. tyres (copy scion tyres)

To get the car to show up in game you need to add an entry for your car in vehicles.lst file in vehicles folder (follow the structure of existing entries and point the game to your new crd).
You also need to add your car's tyres in tyreshd.xml which is in vehicles/physics directory and add your car in tire.rg file in vehicles/physics/tires.

Hope this helps a bit. Do use Shiimiis and JdougNY traslations because they show you which strings of bytes precede the data you need to hex edit in bin files (for hexediting I use 010 Editor). JdougNY will probably add more detail and correct my mistakes.

noticed that GVSE responded as I was writing this...but I'll throw in my instructions, too.

Let's say that I wanted to create a copy of the (free) Scion FR-S car and add a stage 1 supercharger kit (i.e. remap the torque curve and add a Sprintex Supercharger).
Where would I start?
I recently made a clone, replacing some of the models and using different physics for someone here. I went with a clean approach.

[establishing the base car files, materials, textures]
#1 - unpacked BFF files of original cars, renamed and placed into correct folders

#2 - Once I had the original file names established, I renamed all files for the new car. Example: all instances of "ruf_rgt8_" were renamed to "GT3RS_16_". I also opened all mebs/bmts/bml/vhf/etc files and performed those global name replacements. Didn't take long. So, for the Scion "scion_fr-s_" file names could become "scion_fr-X" or something with the same amount of characters.

#3 - add car to vehicle list (within the unlocker package)
#4 - copy kart_01_cockpit.bff to make dummy BFF files for the new car.

Alternatively, you could take the original unpacked/renamed files for the Scion, use the original file names, and include the dedicated files needed for the clone car in the same folder (CRD, RCF, CSD, CGP, etc). Then edit the new CRD to use a new physical model (VDFM).

[establishing the base physics files]
#1- From my unlocker package, you can retrieve all of the original physics files, along with choosing from the available turbo files. A different VDFM would be needed, though. The VDFM's vary in formatting for pCars (not identical to S2U). It's not quite clear in the VDFM at to where the pointers are for chassis, engine, gearbox, turbo, etc and most pointers are looking at the same location of string data. So, a VDFM that looks for a turbo file would be selected (taken from car that has OE boost). Then the wheel/tyre offsets & dimensions would be replaced with correct values, along with editing the string section for the car name.

#2 - Within the unlocker package, add the tyre HDTbin entry for you new car

#3 - Within the unlocker package, open tire.rg and add your car on the same "tags" entry as the original Scion FR-S. Standard FR-S uses Toyota_GT86 HDTbin, so search for "TOYOTA_GT86", skipping over any instance of TOYOTA_GT86_RB in tire.rg.
Entries for new car would go into this section
Code:
###################################################################
# Duplicate of Masculin Normal car tires with Nitto branding
# Scion FR-S Rocket Bunny
###################################################################
There are 6 tag lines that require editing within the section

#4 - using the Shiimis translation for turbo, you should have no problem locating editing data with a hex editor

#5 - it can get a little tricky manually editing the engine.EDFbin, using the Shiimis translation. I can provide the Python script (from Shiimis) that would automatically generate a new EDFbin from a text based file you edit. I always work up my engine in physicseditor, save to .ini, then work up new EDFbin.

As far as the harvesting of file/folder names out of the game for unpacked BFF files, along with the batch renaming tools, it's all in Chinese. Fortunately, I understand Chinese and was able to decipher. I'm not sure if I have permission to link people to the Chinese website. However, the process is time consuming and involves "forcing" the game to load substituted BFFs into game memory. Probably easier for me to handle that side of things.

So, if you're wanting to clone the original Scion FR-S (not rocket bunny...just verifying which model). I can provide the initial files unpacked/renamed for you. From there, you could work out the new CRD and supporting files. Also, I can take it a step further and give you a working clone, then you can twist the physics to your liking.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

It sounds like this is a pretty annoying process to be honest. Guess I'm not the only one who is longing for the SHIFT days of pure text-based modding...

@JDougNY:

Correct, I'm wanting to base the copy off of a stock FR-S as I would like to see how it handles a little more power and a beefier torque curve.

Have you decoded most of the structure of the .*bin files by now? Enough so that it would be possible to create isomorphic unpackers/repackers for the various .*bin formats?

EDIT: I would obviously love to be able to study a copy of Shiimis .py script. :cool:

Last edited:
@ermo

Yes, this game is a pain. There's even some hex editing needed for most mebs when making a new car, to add in missing data sections. I can make Zmodeler generate most of that missing data. But, I still have to go into some files and hex edit (damage channel, UV#4, 2nd layer of window/windscreen UV mapping for wiper mask).

As far as the coded files. I did that quick run through physicstweaker to locate, AI strength, AI aggression, tick rate and live trace activation. Been through the driver related files so I can move the driver around, move the feet, move the eye point for the new cars (you have to hex edit that, too). Haven't gone through any AI files or game property files (such as to drive reverse direction or to eliminate cut track penalties...not that I would ever kill penalties:whistling:). Obviously, we know enough about the coded physics files to overhaul anything....some stuff is new/unknown though.

I'll put together that Python package and P.M. that out to you.

I can create that clone car for you to where you would only need to work out the engine/turbo. Wouldn't take that long. I already have the main vehicle BFF files unpacked/renamed. I would just need to take care of the cockpit files and put it all together.

Reminds me that I should revise unlocker to 7.1 update.

Hi there, i just had a question regarding below. If i were to swap the vehicle class of say formula b and formula renault, if i then played formula b in career mode, i would in fact be racing formula renault???

Thanks very much for the awesome work you do!!!

@Mark0

Very simple to change, if you're using either the Bootfiles from Autoprophet or my modding unlocker (see post # 127 for download).

- start with bootfiles or modding unlocker deactivated
- go to "Vehicles\ford_mustang_gt_2015\" folder
- open file "ford_mustang_gt_2015.crd" with either an XML editor or notepad
- scroll to bottom half of file and you'll find these entries....
[code}
<prop name="Vehicle Class" data="Road B" />
<prop name="Vehicle Group" data="Road B" />
[/code]
change to your liking and save
- activate either bootfiles or modding unlocker

Hi there, i just had a question regarding below. If i were to swap the vehicle class of say formula b and formula renault, if i then played formula b in career mode, i would in fact be racing formula renault???
Just tested and it seems that the Formula B car name is called out in the Career events. Even though the classes were swapped in CRD, the SMS Formula B was still the car on the track in the Career races.
So, that would require an additional step of modifying the career event files to use the Formula Renault.

Just tested and it seems that the Formula B car name is called out in the Career events. Even though the classes were swapped in CRD, the SMS Formula B was still the car on the track in the Career races.
So, that would require an additional step of modifying the career event files to use the Formula Renault.

Thanks so much for the quick response. Well, please let me know if you come up with a solution and let me know the procedure would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks again,

Thanks so much for the quick response. Well, please let me know if you come up with a solution and let me know the procedure would be much appreciated!!!
I have most of the game unpacked. It seems that SMS has abandoned the old way of doing the career events (as in NFS Shift, TDFRL, and S2U). In the past games, there were a pair of files per event. One file was binary markup language (*.xml.bml) and the other was an easy to edit XML version of the binary file. In pCars, all I see now are *.bin for career mode. The files are not encrypted, but there's no simple way to edit those files. There's code at the top half of the file and lot of string data following...lot of pointers...very easy to break the file (crash the game) by attempting edits.

JDougNY, Thanks for "The Unlocker", which is revived my interest for pCars again. But I have a question though : Do you have A Translation for The Tyres .HDTBin files ?

@B0B23

I've only partially decoded a tyre.hdtbin file....just logging where there appeared to be data. Some data makes sense, while other data appears to be new (unknown). There are varying amounts of words/bytes in some HDTbins...more than likely where data may be entered as a 32bit word over a byte for certain parameters.

Should you be wanting to modify physics of a car, there's still an additional step of unpacking the main BFF for the vehicle, along with the renaming of those files, placing into folders and applying a dummy BFF. This is due to most physics files being included in the vehicle BFF, along with being in the various physics BFFs.

@B0B23

I've only partially decoded a tyre.hdtbin file....just logging where there appeared to be data. Some data makes sense, while other data appears to be new (unknown). There are varying amounts of words/bytes in some HDTbins...more than likely where data may be entered as a 32bit word over a byte for certain parameters.

Should you be wanting to modify physics of a car, there's still an additional step of unpacking the main BFF for the vehicle, along with the renaming of those files, placing into folders and applying a dummy BFF. This is due to most physics files being included in the vehicle BFF, along with being in the various physics BFFs.
Thanks for the quick reply. If I understand it correctly, I thought that I could alter some physics files of a car within your unlocker tweecking the loose files. Is that correct or Do I need to do that additional step you've mentioned above as well?

@B0B23
The unlocker is the first big step towards getting to the physics and skins (RCF editing). The main function of the unlocker is to add cars (unlock vehicle list, tyresHD, Tire.rg). The unlocker gets you into the physicstweaker and a lot of game properties....although, most of it is all coded and needs to be deciphered.

In the unlocker, all of the physics files (and RCF files) have been captured from unpacking all of the physics BFF's and vehiclepersistent. However, SMS includes most physics files and the RCF files in each exterior vehicle BFF. So, to get complete control of physics files and those RCF files, the exterior vehicle BFF requires unpacking, renaming, sorting, along with the application of the dummy BFF.

If SMS would stop updating the game, I could just release a massive, unlocked version of the game. What I've been doing is providing a group of unpacked/renamed BFFs to various members to add as an additional mod. That allows them to work on skins, textures related to the car, and/or the physics for the car. For another member, I even provided him with a means to edit all driver character textures. If you have some cars in mind that you'd like to work on, I could provide you with those unpacked/renamed exterior vehicle files. Once you've finished with a group of cars and want to work on some more, I can supply another batch of exterior vehicle files.

Ive been working on a conversion of Nissan GTR SpecV from S2U to Pcars. Everything looks pretty good and I hope I will be able to share this car at some point in the future.
kk744dtgjnbeekg6g.jpg

@B0B23
The unlocker is the first big step towards getting to the physics and skins (RCF editing). The main function of the unlocker is to add cars (unlock vehicle list, tyresHD, Tire.rg). The unlocker gets you into the physicstweaker and a lot of game properties....although, most of it is all coded and needs to be deciphered.

In the unlocker, all of the physics files (and RCF files) have been captured from unpacking all of the physics BFF's and vehiclepersistent. However, SMS includes most physics files and the RCF files in each exterior vehicle BFF. So, to get complete control of physics files and those RCF files, the exterior vehicle BFF requires unpacking, renaming, sorting, along with the application of the dummy BFF.

If SMS would stop updating the game, I could just release a massive, unlocked version of the game. What I've been doing is providing a group of unpacked/renamed BFFs to various members to add as an additional mod. That allows them to work on skins, textures related to the car, and/or the physics for the car. For another member, I even provided him with a means to edit all driver character textures. If you have some cars in mind that you'd like to work on, I could provide you with those unpacked/renamed exterior vehicle files. Once you've finished with a group of cars and want to work on some more, I can supply another batch of exterior vehicle files.
That sounds great, thanks & I appreciate it.
I've attached my wish list.
P.S. Any of those would be great

Attachments

• List of my favorite cars.txt
    750 bytes · Views: 503

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • < 3 years