Project CARS Modding Questions & WIP

Since authoer of Zmodeler has decided to add support for pcars mebs, I wonder if it is worth to continue my work on MEB > DAE > MEB converter.
It could support all features eventually and it would be free of course, but I don't feel like wasting my time if there is no need for it.

I was running into that issue of Zmod3 ruining existing mapping when simply choosing to edit it. So, I can't see myself using Zmod3. Sent Oleg some files...see where it goes I guess. I think your converter is useful for those that would want to tinker with existing pCars mebs, while having the freedom to use any good editor with DAE (and FBX) support.

@JDoughNY, ZMod3 was never reported yet to ruin uv-mapping on attempt to edit existing mapping. I guess you've done something wrong. You should post/report this at zmodeler forum, as I get instant notifications there and respond all topics created.

Also, I've checked FormulaA model, I guess I could add animation support too (editing animated suspension and associated animation files too). I suppose BAS is a skeleton-pose definition and BAB is a pack of animations for this skeleton. Files that confuse me are:
configanim.bin and vehicleanimnodenames.bin
Is there any info on BAS/BAB files already available, so I don't spend time on reverse-engineering them?

Last edited:
@ZModeler
Been using some form of ZModeler, since 2009. In ZMod3, I import my OBJ, select by material the paint mesh, choose to edit existing UV, then in UV mapper the mesh is ruined. I can import that same OBJ into ZMod2 or Blender or any other editor the the UV mapping is perfect.

Animations in pCars....there are suspensions, fully animated wipers (not just shaking wipers), then there are shaking mirrors, shaking shifting stalks, bouncing bonnet, etc.
Things such as moving wings and flaps are handled by setting proper axis pivot point on the model, then editing a binary file...nothing that you would need to be concerned with.

Some time ago, I posted on this thread a decode of much of the BAS file...(read post #710)... http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/project-cars-modding-questions-wip.105969/page-36#post-2268985
Here is an old BAS in XML format just as a reference... http://www.mediafire.com/file/4bvxi9z9nh95ryj/alfa_romeo_gta_1600_cockpit.bas

Currently, we make a car. Then we look for an animated wiper model from an original car in Pcars that may work for our new car. We then copy all of the animation files from the donor source car into our project. What I do from there is open the donor BAS to see what other objects I could animate (such as bonnet, mirrors). If the new car came from Shift 2 Unleashed, I can easily acquire the "transform" data from the old BAS file, convert it to code and enter into the donor BAS.
If I'm making animation from scratch by creating skeleton, bone, weight painting vertices, I would then use a worksheet that converts the offset/orientation data into the "Transform" string. Here is that worksheet (made by Chevyopala)... http://www.mediafire.com/file/p1aw9au23f09a0u/Quat_to_Matrix.xlsm

configanim.bin file is basically establishing bump amplitudes, frequency/waves and other variables in order to shake/bounce/rattle things. In my opinion, there are plenty of examples from existing cars that we can just copy to use for a new car.

vehicleanimnodenames.bin - just reading through the file. Seems to be not much more than a list of the bone names in use for the animated suspension. There are pointers in the file to parse the string data (bone names).

vehicleanims.bab - I haven't reviewed this file.

I also wanted to mention that some mebs require 4 UV layers...
For instance a windscreen meb...
UV1 (section 1,3,0 in code of meb) - mapped to either a banner, logos and glass color(s)
UV2 (section 1,3,1 in code of meb) - mapped to cockpit windscreen reflection
UV3 (section 1,3,2 in code of meb) - mapped to paint template
UV4 (section 1,3,4 in code of meb) - mapped to wiper mask/trails

So, the ability for ZMod3 to both read all UV layers on import and to export all UV layers without discarding anything would be a great feature to have.

May be you can send me the .obj file and step-by-step instruction on how to reproduce the problem? There are two uv-related options in your explanation that are not mentioned: #1 when you import .obj file, an option "optimize vertices" can be (and should be) toggled. #2, when you use Edit UV tool and set option "Keep old mapping", an option "continuous mesh surface" should be toggled off. Both options can affect UV on adjacent mesh fragments (e.g. fender and bonnet), but should not cause complete UV loss. Note, OBJ file can retain only one channel of UV data.

I've somewhat decoded BAS files, I think they will be ok on export too. BAB files are next, I assume these are the actual animation tracks for different set of animations. Will check them on Sunday.

The import/export of geometry was refined and now compatible with pCars only, so all UV layers are retained, including the case with those 4 uv layers you mention above. There is some shader/material files tweaking still needed I assume, but geometry should be ok.
windscreen_pagani.jpg

ZModeler3 has an animation support in it, so recording new animations is expected to be possible, meaning you could be able to create and animate objects the way you like them to be (vehicleanimnodenames.bin will probably need to be decoded too).

Last edited:
Hello!

First of all, thank you all for the effort you make with these mods.

I am trying to put yellow headlights on the GT3s, to look like the WEC. But I have a problem with the RUF.
With added cars (like the Ferrari 488 for example) I have not had any problems. Instead, with the RUF, I can not recognize the .CGP file where the color appears on the track surface. How can I do it?

PD: Sorry for my english

Hello!

First of all, thank you all for the effort you make with these mods.

I am trying to put yellow headlights on the GT3s, to look like the WEC. But I have a problem with the RUF.
With added cars (like the Ferrari 488 for example) I have not had any problems. Instead, with the RUF, I can not recognize the .CGP file where the color appears on the track surface. How can I do it?

PD: Sorry for my english
To modify original cars in the game, you must run HRDFpersistent unpacked (loose). Then, you can edit the CGP and the changes will work.
These instructions are for 64 bit version of the game. If you are running 32 bit version, there will be different unpacked files needed and the instructions will change.

First, go to my public folder here.... https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cy3jl6679k7i1/Public_for_PCARS
Go to subfolder called "BFF files unpacked and sorted" and download "HRDFpersistent_64bit_xxx".
In your game folders, navigate to "Pakfiles.x64" and rename "HRDFPERSISTENT.bff" to be "HRDFPERSISTENT.bff.bak"
Using JSGME, create a new folder in "Mods", then copy the contents of "Hrdfpersistent_64bit" into that new folder. So, the folder structure should read like this....
"MODS\HRDFpersistent_Unpacked\ [all subfolders]"
Make edits to the CGP files, then activate in JSGME.

Last edited:
We have released another conversion from S2U: Nissan S15 Tuner. Available at NoGrip and soon in our usual folder.

Great car !!! Great Great Great !!! wow !!! These are the best times for PCars 1, all these cars have a great physics and feel so 'natural' to drive !!!

JDougNY sei un grande ! :thumbsup: And gvse too, of course !!!

To modify original cars in the game, you must run HRDFpersistent unpacked (loose). Then, you can edit the CGP and the changes will work.
These instructions are for 64 bit version of the game. If you are running 32 bit version, there will be different unpacked files needed and the instructions will change.

First, go to my public folder here.... https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cy3jl6679k7i1/Public_for_PCARS
Go to subfolder called "BFF files unpacked and sorted" and download "HRDFpersistent_64bit_xxx".
In your game folders, navigate to "Pakfiles.x64" and rename "HRDFPERSISTENT.bff" to be "HRDFPERSISTENT.bff.bak"
Using JSGME, create a new folder in "Mods", then copy the contents of "Hrdfpersistent_64bit" into that new folder. So, the folder structure should read like this....
"MODS\HRDFpersistent_Unpacked\ [all subfolders]"
Make edits to the CGP files, then activate in JSGME.

Thank you very very much! i got it

One more question:
I only need to color the RUF headlights in yellow. Headligth texture of RUF is located in pCars\Pakfiles\Vehicles\Ruf_RGT8_GUI.BFF. I extracted the texture and painted it in photoshop, but I do not know the name I have to put in the .RCF file to replace the texture. Within the .BFF file the textures are called "0036f880.dds" and "00377120.dds".

Can you help me please?

One more question:
I only need to color the RUF headlights in yellow. Headligth texture of RUF is located in pCars\Pakfiles\Vehicles\Ruf_RGT8_GUI.BFF. I extracted the texture and painted it in photoshop, but I do not know the name I have to put in the .RCF file to replace the texture. Within the .BFF file the textures are called "0036f880.dds" and "00377120.dds".
I think you were referring to the GT3, which would be Ruf_RGT8_GT3_GUI.BFF

If you're going to unpack the BFF's, you need to rename those unpacked files for them to be of any use. The files also belong in specific folders. I just recently reposted the link (on this thread) to Chinese site that has all the instructions.

0036f880.dds = ruf_rgt8gt3_lights_glow.dds
00377120.dds = ruf_rgt8gt3_lights_spec.dds (you should be painting the diffuse texture)

Here are the 4 actual light textures (diff, spec, glow, norm) with proper names... http://www.mediafire.com/file/cp539v5jp708dtu/RUF_RGT8_GT3_Light_Textures.rar

That works. Thank you very much!!

Now, how do I know the names for other cars?
Where can I find the list of cars?
It's not the same name as the folders, as far as I can see.
Well....that comes from taking the time to unpack, harvest file/folder names from game memory, then batch rename all files. Those instructions provided at the Chinese site I mentioned in a recent repost.
If you're dealing with something simple, such as the vehicle BFF's, you can open BMT's with a hex editor and file the material names at the end of the file. The BMT's will also provide the names of the textures when you read through the String data section. Vehicle textures are usually simple to determine proper naming.

Alternatively, since I've unpacked, renamed, sorted the exterior BFF's, I could package up a few of them for you. I just need a list.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 340 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 8.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%