Project CARS Modding Questions & WIP

Hi,
Can someone help me please? I added the fictional liveries for the Audi R18 TDI and am now trying to replace the spec or fresnel file which is still used. Does somebody now the name and the location of the original file used on the three Audi liveries?

Thanks in advance, guys

Reiche

Hi,
Can someone help me please? I added the fictional liveries for the Audi R18 TDI and am now trying to replace the spec or fresnel file which is still used. Does somebody now the name and the location of the original file used on the three Audi liveries?

Thanks in advance, guys

Reiche
That's all packed into the livery BFF...
The RCF files replace the paint material with materials Vehicles\_Generic_Materials\livery_r18_01_xxxxxxx.bmt

Looking at those materials, I see...
Fresnel is..
vehicles\textures\liveries\audi_r18_livery02_fresnel.dds

Specular is...
vehicles\textures\COMMON_PAINT_SPEC.dds

@JDougNY

I've almost finished with decoding the career_championships.bin (everything except the data list between the second and third blocks of strings is accounted for). I was going to throw together some graphics and a textfile to make it easy for others to read if you want to include that in your folder. Will likely do the other career binaries as well, as I think they are necessary if any sort of custom event (outside of the normal career tree) is to be created.

Can someone help me... Hate to sound like a worthless begger, but hands are out.

I'm trying to get a particular look on the ruf_rgt8_gt3 in particular, this.

Not sure if lifting the wheel model off another vehicle will work but if it does the wheels are on the Radical SR8-RX
Tires I have in the R8 lms mod\tire mod by Canrod88 (added some .dds files from the Bentley GT3and renamed)
I added these lines of text to ruf_rgt8_gt3_hr.RCF under <CONDITION LIVERY="99">
<REPLACE TEXTURE="vehicles\textures\tire_hankook_dtm11_diff_00.dds" NEWTEXTURE="Vehicles\Textures\tire_michelin_lm14_diff_00.dds" />
<REPLACE TEXTURE="vehicles\textures\tire_hankook_dtm11_diff_01.dds" NEWTEXTURE="Vehicles\Textures\tire_michelin_lm14_diff_01.dds" />
<REPLACE TEXTURE="vehicles\textures\tire_hankook_dtm11_norm_00.dds" NEWTEXTURE="Vehicles\Textures\tire_michelin_lm14_norm_00.dds" />
<REPLACE TEXTURE="vehicles\textures\tire_hankook_dtm11_spec_00.dds" NEWTEXTURE="Vehicles\Textures\tire_michelin_lm14_spec_00.dds" />
<REPLACE TEXTURE="vehicles\textures\tire_hankook_dtm11_spec_01.dds" NEWTEXTURE="Vehicles\Textures\tire_michelin_lm14_spec_01.dds" />

But it didn't work. :mad:

Any help would be really appreciated.

@Gambit74
Edits need to be made to both RCF files.
Also, you need to have the exterior vehicle BFF unpacked/renamed/sorted with dummy BFF....I think that is something Crowtrobot has provided for people.

@Gambit74
Edits need to be made to both RCF files.
Also, you need to have the exterior vehicle BFF unpacked/renamed/sorted with dummy BFF....I think that is something Crowtrobot has provided for people.

Right ok, I did the two rcf files for the tire skins, obviously it didn't work, I've extracted files with quick bms, but as you well know the names don't work... Would the BFF work above sort the wheel change as well?
Crowtrobot... buddy/m8 :sneaky: urrrr, any chance you could help me out please?

@Gambit74
I recommend looking up "
Custom Liveries Tool - Livery Manager and Livery Package Export" at the official forum. Crowtrobot took the bulk of exterior BFF files I unpacked/renamed, along with any he did (due to new game patches). You'll probably need to include the texture files in the texture folder, too.

@Gambit74
I recommend looking up "
Custom Liveries Tool - Livery Manager and Livery Package Export" at the official forum. Crowtrobot took the bulk of exterior BFF files I unpacked/renamed, along with any he did (due to new game patches). You'll probably need to include the texture files in the texture folder, too.
This will only help me change the default car textures? Not mod?

@Gambit74
Here is the exterior BFF unlocked for modding... http://www.mediafire.com/download/1soimb6re2v66b1/RUF_RGT8_GT3_Exterior_BFF_Unlock.rar Edit the RCF files within. You'll probably need to include any new textures you are assigning.
Activate things in this order....
#1) Either my modding unlocker or current version Bootfiles by Autoprophet
#2) The provided exterior BFF unlocked pacakge
Remember to edit the RCF files, then activate.

I only noted Bootfiles by Autoprophet, because I think he added in Vehiclespersistent files.

Right ok, I did the two rcf files for the tire skins, obviously it didn't work, I've extracted files with quick bms, but as you well know the names don't work... Would the BFF work above sort the wheel change as well?
Crowtrobot... buddy/m8 :sneaky: urrrr, any chance you could help me out please?
Looks like JDougNY got you covered :)

Basically if you need to make any additions to the .rcfs you need the exterior bffs (<vehicle_name>.bff) extracted, renamed and dummied. Reorganization of the .rcfs (moving entries around or renaming liveries for the UI) only requires the vehiclespersistent.bff unpacked (which is why the Grid Tool is a nice little package and the Livery Tool is 2GB).

You then need the bootfiles unlocked to do anything at all (bootflow.bff at a minimum). I'd suggest JDougNY's unlocker, as it's a pretty complete package, and I've run into some funny business in-game last patch with the packages included in Autoprophet's. The Custom Grid tool includes the bootflow and vehiclespersistent unlocked as well, so that would also be enough.

If anything's unclear, lmk.

Last edited:
Looking great JDougNY.
As you can see the tires work perfect.

I quickbms'd the radical wheels, added them to the pCars\MODS\_RUF_RGT8_GT3 Exterior BFF Unlock\vehicles\textures folder and added the text to the two RCF files in pCars\MODS\_RUF_RGT8_GT3 Exterior BFF Unlock\vehicles\ruf_rgt8_gt3 and reloaded the mod but the custom skin was not in the listings at all. How do I change the wheels?

Thank you for your work thus far.

The proper way to change the wheels is to...
- import all wheel mebs into Zmodeler
- rescale all wheels to match the size of the original wheels for the RUF
- open material editor and rename the materials as RUF_xxxxxxx
- export all wheels named as RUF_xxxxx
- discard original RUF wheel material files (BMT's)
- add in new wheel materials (use MTX materials) and textures
- if you screwed up the exporting process, you will be stuck with hex editing in missing data sections. Do it correctly and there's no hex editing at all.

The proper way to change the wheels is to...
- import all wheel mebs into Zmodeler
- rescale all wheels to match the size of the original wheels for the RUF
- open material editor and rename the materials as RUF_xxxxxxx
- export all wheels named as RUF_xxxxx
- discard original RUF wheel material files (BMT's)
- add in new wheel materials (use MTX materials) and textures
- if you screwed up the exporting process, you will be stuck with hex editing in missing data sections. Do it correctly and there's no hex editing at all.

Sounds easy! :unsure:

@Gambit74
Those Radical wheels are much smaller, which is why they need to be scaled up.
I'll make up something for you...you wanted the wheel models from Radical SR8-RX, correct?

Wow that would be amazing!
Yes the Radical SR8-RX has wheels that look near as spot on to what is in my picture from post 266

Thank you very much for your time.

@Gambit74
Here is the RUF RGT8 GT3 wheel mod...that's what I've named it at least. http://www.mediafire.com/download/8f3k2opm6bxjxfv/RUF_RGT8_GT3_Wheel_Mod.rar

I had to open up more of the game to make the game use the new wheels. So, the exterior, cockpit and GUI BFF files for the car are unpacked and dummy BFF files are provided. Wheels from Radical have been resized and directly replace the original wheel models.
New material files for the wheels are MTX and named RUF_RGT8_GT3_RIM2xxxxx.mtx. New textures for the wheels are named ruf_rgt8_gt3_wheel2xxxxxx.dds

Instructions to use...
- Deactivate original exterior unlock package
- Transfer your edited RCF files and any new textures you had into this new mod
- Activate "_RUF_RGT8_GT3 Wheel Mod"

In the RCF files, there are texture replacements for the original wheel textures. Obviously, none of those entries will function, due to new textures named ruf_rgt8_gt3_wheel2xxxxxx.dds. Should you decide to color those wheel textures in various ways, you can always edit those texture replacement entries or just remove them all.

Additional note: SMS screwed up the deformation for the tyres (for this car at least). The inner bead of the tyre deforms into the wheel when accelerating and braking (inner bead shouldn't move at all). So, there is just a tiny bit of inner bead clipping at the very bottom of the wheel. I widened the wheels as far as is reasonable...any more and you would start to see daylight between the wheel/trye.

Last edited:
@JDougNY

I've almost finished with decoding the career_championships.bin (everything except the data list between the second and third blocks of strings is accounted for). I was going to throw together some graphics and a textfile to make it easy for others to read if you want to include that in your folder. Will likely do the other career binaries as well, as I think they are necessary if any sort of custom event (outside of the normal career tree) is to be created.
I'd be happy to include anything you've tackled in the public folder.

Side note: looks like I've found a universal dummy BFF. Go to S2U and grab "GUIRIVALINSIGNIA.bff". I'm using/testing it on my unlocker to dummy out everything (will include change on future versions). It also seems to work perfectly for all vehicle related BFFs. File size of GUIRIVALINSIGNIA.bff is only 55.2kb, the few texture files within don't conflict with anything in pCars. Should I find no issues, this will really cut down the size of packages where 100's of BFF files are dummied out (such as my "final" unlocker and your mods).

EDIT:
@ those modders following. I revised engine EDFbin translation to V1.1. I spotted a syntax error on hex string for air restrictor and added some clarification on where engine layout bytes reside in the file. https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cy3jl6679k7i1/Public_for_PCARS

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back