PC1 Project Cars Delayed Until March 2015

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Project Cars Raining.jpg

Originally set for a November 2014 release the news reached us today that Project Cars will be re-scheduled for March 2015 meaning that fans of the multi-platform racing title will not be able to play the anticipated title during the gaming intensive holiday season in December.

Namco Bandai sent out the following press release, after rumors that have surfaced around the internet about a possible delay, officially confirming what was publicly known since yesterday.

Slightly Mad Studios and BANDAI NAMCO Games Europe S.A.S today announced they will be moving the release of Project CARS for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC to March 20th 2015 in Europe and Australasia.

The move positions the title away from the competitive holiday scene dominated by household names while affording the team at Slightly Mad Studios additional time to extend and polish their ground-breaking and accomplished next-gen racing experience that’s been created alongside a community of over 85,000 racing fans and real-life professional drivers.

“Our goal has always been to deliver a landmark title that encompasses the wishes and desires of racing fans from all around the world; something with features and content powered by the community that provide a truly unforgettable and pioneering experience” said Ian Bell, Head of Studio at Slightly Mad Studios. “Whilst a tough decision to make, the change in release date allows the game the greatest chance of success and visibility, and the opportunity to polish the game even further to the high standards that both ourselves and our community demand and expect. We’re eager for you all to see what we’ve been working on in just a few months.”

Project CARS aims to deliver the most authentic, beautiful, intense, and technically-advanced racing game on the planet. Crowd-funded by a passionate community that has been involved in the development process from day-one to create their ultimate racing experience, Project CARS includes the largest track roster of any recent racing game, a huge variety of motorsports to play, a freeform and authentic career mode, world-class graphics and handling, dynamic time of day & weather, and a suite of community features and connectivity that leave the competition behind in the dust.
For more on Project Cars check out the forum. Up- and download game modifications via the downloads section. Share your latest photos and videos in our gallery.

All I ask is that when people get into discussions comparing various games to their favourite game, that they cease and desist from saying.........
"and when PCars is available its gonna (insert adjective) your favourite sim".

Delay it? No problem.

Where does their money come from though??? I would be ready to get early access the first moment I can! It's just bollocks.

Look at Kunos and AC! They've kept the early access version available for the whole time that the sim was in beta. Did they benefit from this. Yup.

I don't get the logic.

The crowd funding thing didnt really work for them, but these guys are pretty hardworking. There is a new build out every day. Its still not perfect, there are a few bugs and its still work in progress. It would never be ready for next month and it was always going to be delayed, rightly imo. This is very easy for me to say because I have the game, but when it is ready it will be fantastic.
Keep up the great work SMS.

Delay it? No problem.

Where does their money come from though??? I would be ready to get early access the first moment I can! It's just bollocks.

Look at Kunos and AC! They've kept the early access version available for the whole time that the sim was in beta. Did they benefit from this. Yup.

I don't get the logic.
I don't understand the logic either, but we're not comparing apples to apples. SMS went down the crowd funding path which was a new concept for software development and while everything was progressing fine the UK's financial watch-dog FSA stepped in and basically put a stop to the funding while it investigated. The result was what we have today, a project closed to those that didn't see the value in contributing/investing when they could have.
I'm sure SMS would love to accept new members, but they can't. And they most likely can't change the funding structure to that of a Kunos or Sector3 (early access purchased) at this point, and even if they could it wouldn't be fare to current members who are suppose have some say in development.
The details may never be completely known but they are finishing what they started in the manner in which it was started. My $.02.

Last edited:
Only positive things will come from this delay. All those that are having an issue with the delay in release, you have to understand that there are still somethings that take more time to clean up and also to have the best sim out there. Just be patient and you will be very impressed with the release product. You dont want to have a ton of patches and updates for the first 3 to 5 months like all the other sims out there that are constantly changing and fixing things. This delay is a good thing, not only for the onslaught of other titles coming out during the same timeline, but also for a solid sim. You will really enjoy this, once it is complete. (Easy for me to say as I have a SR License pack) but it is really coming along.. Watch the youtube vids and the DK2 support that is pretty good, but will get better over the next few months. I stongly suggest you get a Decent FFB Wheel and pedals though.. Game pad is not the way to experience this sim, and dont even try with a KB, mouse... it supports it, but please dont get into a MP game... you will get smoked..

Who is outputting 4k in consumer format right now. Besides commercial raw video. Not being sarcastic just curious.
Pcars is the only one that I'm aware of that can do 12k (or 3x4k displays) at the moment. It's little more than trivia for me but, the super HD eye-candy types may enjoy it. I don't think I'll need to go beyond a single GPU in the foreseeable future anyway but, I look forward to the next-gen cards that are more efficient and have improved VR support.

I look forward to the advent of Virtual Headsets. Car and flight sims seem best poised to utilize them. But I don't want to buy one until all - or most of the bugs are worked out - and it's capable of 1080P display at a bare minimum of 60Hz.
That's a good strategy Lou. Once you get used to racing in VR, using a traditional monitor just doesn't cut it anymore. Based on early reports of the Crescent Bay demo, CV-1 should provide enough of an improvement to make the shift to VR worth-while. Currently, I only play games that have support for the DK2. I just can't get enough. :)

Waiting is wise, there are definitely issues to be ironed out currently. 3D is nice but, the Rift 3D is unlike any other I've seen on a TV, monitor or big-screen. It's more effective, natural and doesn't seem to produce any eyestrain what-so-ever. I think you'll love it.

Buying the game because it looks good in virtual reality is not something most of us are looking for. Hopefully it will have what it needs most. Good physics, good FFB and gameplay both single player and multiplayer.

Well, I finally got a chance to play PCARS and I must say I'm seriously F'ing impressed. It needs some work in the FFB department and the physics for some cars still need some tweaking but damn if its not the most beautiful game out there when all the details are turned on, just stay away from the detailed grass setting and watch your AA settings. With a high end PC, you can max out most other settings and maintain a stable 60fps with V-sync. I went from being on the fence about this game to being a day one purchase for me. I think the added time to polish the game will pay off but it certainly seems like its 80% there already. And no, PCARS is not like NFS Shift.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone testing Pcars is not aware; the current FFB has center spring set very high for FFB development reasons. These in-game settings should get you close to reasonable default FFB in the meantime:
  • Damper = 0
  • FFB Strength = 100
  • Tire Force = 20 to 30 (adjust to pref)

Just in case anyone testing Pcars is not aware; the current FFB has center spring set very high for FFB development reasons. These in-game settings should get you close to reasonable default FFB in the meantime:
  • Damper = 0
  • FFB Strength = 100
  • Tire Force = 20 to 30 (adjust to pref)

I agree. When I first started playing it with my TX, I thought to myself the FFB feels absolutely dreadful. It felt extremely heavy and had zero detail. Raising the FFB to 85 and lowering the tire force to 30 made all the difference in the world. However, I still say it doesn't feel as good as AC yet but it's certainly MUCH improved over the default setting of Tire Force 100 which is the real killer.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back