PC1 Project CARS delayed to May

RUF.jpg
Slightly Mad Studios just sent us a press release announcing another delay for its racer, Project CARS.

This is just another one in a long string of delays: the latest release date, April 2, has been pushed back to "mid-May 2015".
Here's what Slightly Mad Studios' head Ian Bell had to say about it:

“Despite our long heritage and pedigree in making critically-acclaimed racing games, Project CARS is by far the grandest and most intricately detailed of them all. Despite therefore the game being 99.9% complete, the remaining 0.1% attending to small issues and bugs has been tricky to anticipate. We’re absolutely dedicated to delivering a ground-breaking experience and by targeting mid-May fans can be assured that’s what they’ll receive”

Furthermore, Bell added that all players are going to receive exclusive free content "as compensation for this short delay and as acknowledgement of how grateful we are. This gift, that we’re sure is going to excite fans, will be available from day one and revealed shortly".

What do you think of this? Are you disappointed or do you think that this delay will benefit SMS's crowdfunded simulator?

I can safely say it's the other way around: the consoles are the platforms that are limited. So expect a game/sim that's primarily focused on being great with a wheel (though controller and even keyboard is supported on PC).

What is different?
- Number of cars on track, especially online (less on console)
- Graphical fidelity (less on console, though it's not 100% clear what this means so far, since the WMD members only have been playing/testing the PC version)

Everything else is identical, including physics, damage, career, menu options, FFB tweaking, FOV tweaking, etc., etc. I think this will be quite a shocker to console players to be honest, I don't think any driving/racing sim on consoles gives this much freedom in customization and tailoring.

That said, console marketing being up right now is logical, since up until a few months ago, there was hardly anything known about the console versions, with WMD members only testing the PC version. So they're playing catchup there. ;)

How could it be "just another console port"? pCars has been developed on the PC since the beginning. There are more options and menus than I have ever seen in any other title. I swear, I just don't understand people some times.

How could it be "just another console port"? pCars has been developed on the PC since the beginning. There are more options and menus than I have ever seen in any other title. I swear, I just don't understand people some times.

Indeed you did not understand me correctly.
I am not saying it will be a console port. I have no way of knowing as I am not a beta tester.
It just struck me they were talking about consoles very much in dev reports.
Going from experience, console to pc ports are often not very well pulled off.
And the fact that a title is being developed on a PC for a console doesn't say anything about its quality as a game when it gets ported from console to a pc version.

Nonetheless I wasn't confirming anything. I was just voicing a possible concern, which @NLxAROSA quite eloquently countered.

Like Snappy already said, it's been developed for PC from the start and then ported to consoles (back in early 2014 i think), but there certainly are things that would be done better if only PC was in question, after all there's a huge gap in (G)UI capabilities of both worlds. Now we are where we are and we can only hope the end result will make everyone (not only console users) happy.

I think the reason of the "latest news/posts" being related to the consoles, is that they contributed the most to the delays. Now that they are close to releasing, they are "pushing" the consoles in their PR. Trying to squeeze in what they developed for the PC onto the console platforms (and still trying to get the most they could shoe-horned in), can be time consuming.

Very well, Robin. But this is the part of your comment I don't understand:
"often seen limitations and/or hassle console ports give on PC's." Why make this comment when you are not one of the beta testers and have not had the opportunity to try pCars? I know that you expressed it as a "concern" but there are plenty of sources out there showing what features pCars will have. The reason we are seeing so much about the console version is because they are starting to promote the title much more to that segment than they have been. Simple. Have to get the thing out there so that consumers know more about it. That's all.

Fair enough. My lack of research into the matter has been clearly pointed out. :D

I was talking in generalities, not aware of these generalities being countered by previous development posts.

I'll shut up now. ;)

Last edited:
I think some skepticism is justified. I mean, when was the last time we had a sim on the consoles that was a match for those on the PC? ;) And a lot of other games are crappy ports or watered-down experiences.
And granted, even most WMD members haven't actually played or seen the console versions, but we certainly know our way around the PC version. And I'll gladly answer any questions and/or post screenshots (unless it's an off-limit area). :)

It won't be long before we all get the chance to judge Pcars on the PC. Time is ticking down to P day. The promise of the most comprehensive and total PC race sim ever. Well that's the spiel and the devs promise. I personally can't wait to test the finished game.

Like Snappy already said, it's been developed for PC from the start and then ported to consoles (back in early 2014 i think), but there certainly are things that would be done better if only PC was in question,...
Fortunately it's not a port :) It's a multiplatform / cross-platform development project which is something completely different (ask if you want to know more).

All platforms were part of this from the start, although PS3/XB360 was bumped up to PS4/XB1 for obvious reasons. The majority of the codebase is common for all platforms, with some branches for platform specifics. Nothing is being held back for the PC because of other platforms not scaling quite as high. However, some things are scaled down for consoles (max field size, max online players and such) .

I can't wait either. Just to end all the speculating that's gone on. Some people will love it and some will hate it. I just appreciate the fact that a dev reached out to the sim racing community to get input and feedback then went ahead and implemented most of what those people requested. The FFB right now is very good right out of the box but it also has many settings that can be adjusted to the users personal taste.

Just think about this:
1808p at 60 fps, 1440 and 4K resolution ready, VR support in a race sim on multiple platforms that accommodates most wheels/pedals (even severely outdated ones). One that will also be able to attract more casual crowd and lure them into this hobby of sim racing. With a good selection of content already and more dlc to come.

Variable weather and time of day settings, very good AI, etc etc...

I know, don't take my word for it...I know I would need to see for myself as well. With that said, pre-order now and I will see you on track in May. No hard feelings.;)

Just think about this:
1808p at 60 fps, 1440 and 4K resolution ready, VR support in a race sim on multiple platforms that accommodates most wheels/pedals (even severely outdated ones). One that will also be able to attract more casual crowd and lure them into this hobby of sim racing. With a good selection of content already and more dlc to come.
Variable weather and time of day settings, very good AI, etc etc...
I know, don't take my word for it...I know I would need to see for myself as well. With that said, pre-order now and I will see you on track in May. No hard feelings.;)

But it's the physics that will make it or break it. ;):whistling:

Fortunately it's not a port :) It's a multiplatform / cross-platform development project which is something completely different (ask if you want to know more).

All platforms were part of this from the start, although PS3/XB360 was bumped up to PS4/XB1 for obvious reasons. The majority of the codebase is common for all platforms, with some branches for platform specifics. Nothing is being held back for the PC because of other platforms not scaling quite as high. However, some things are scaled down for consoles (max field size, max online players and such) .
I agree with this for the most part although, there are some compromises on the number of sound samples supported on the PC version that is said to be due to console limitations. The most notable result is with the replay sounds. Aside from that, I think SMS have done well in keeping the PC version very "PC". :)

What I wonder is do you get the modified pack from all resellers when preordering or just the one listed on PCars webpage? I got the limited edition maybe the physical one. But since they are all locked to steam it may have the modified pack just as the steam version does even though it´s not bought directly from steam?

Or it´s just the selected resellers or it´s all preordered copies?

Physics mean nothing if the gameplay is lacking. PC sales will probably amount to maximum of 5% of the sales (and on PC has the problem of self proclaimed "hard-core simracers") and physics have never been the determining factor of any successful game ever.

Assetto Corsa is a good example. There are so many disappointed people when it comes to AC due to it's gameplay severely lacking. Luckily it is getting a lot better lately but at release it was basically a "driving simulator".. not at all a racing simulator. Results? A lot of people uninstalling the game and being very critical about it (and rightly so), no matter how good the physics are. Okay, granted it can be called fairly successful in terms of PC sales and some reviews but if it was released on consoles right this minute it would be absolutely DESTROYED in reviews and sales would be ridiculously poor.

But fear not, the physics are solid in pCars. Just make sure you drive FAST ENOUGH! Have seen so many "OMG this is way too easy to drive!!" comments in the past, only to see the people commenting being more than 10 seconds (!!!!) slower than average. This is not iRacing.. if you drive slow and safe the supercars and heck, any car, will be easy to drive. Drive at the limit however and you are going to notice the difficulty. You will not constantly crash though as it's easier than ever to recover from mistakes but you will be severely penalized in lap times. This is one area where I think pCars is much more realistic than other simulators.. small mistakes don't result in an immediate crash, which makes you push a lot harder which in turn makes you realize that you are over driving each corner and pushing in a wrong way.. which in turn makes you a BETTER racer and you really start to appreciate the subtle details in the physics.

Heck, it's funny but my 500+ hours of driving pCars has actually improved my driving on the other simulators. My iRacing laptimes went down quite a lot when I finally understood optimum steering lock angles + speed through the corners. I didn't learn this in iRacing because I was constantly under the limit by fear of crashing and when I did get over the limit the FFB just didn't give me any clues to the laptime penalty I was getting. pCars shows me immediately when I'm overcooking a corner, even when I take it just a tiny bit too fast or have a tiny bit too much steering lock (causing an unoptimum slip-angle).

.. so yeah, the physics are rock solid, if not slightly on the too conservative side when it comes to grip progression (in my opinion). Then again some cars a lot less grippy and a lot more frightening in pCars than they are in for instance AC.

Anyways, the awesome AI and completely dynamic weather pretty much guarantees great gameplay which hopefully makes this title a hit, which in turn gives it longer life and more content for us players.. and perhaps even pCars 2 and pRally in the future (imagine this highly complex tire model on gravel! Would finally be a great successor to RBR!).

FAQ: What game is Project CARS like?
"Project CARS is a racing simulation so is comparable with popular console franchises Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo whilst also providing the kind of advanced features usually reserved for PC-only simulators like iRacing and rFactor."
http://www.projectcarsgame.com/faq.html

Haven't tried it - more like forza than AC/rF by the sound of it.

No I wouldn't say that with my own experience with the game I like AC very much and do find quite a few similarities between AC and PCARS and even iRacing. I will agree when you bring up rF2 it is more dependent on an individual car basis but still you can find some to make comparisons with. I just hope people can like it for what it is and will be which is a portal to much gaming fun for the casual on up to the quite serious sim driver-racer

I actually want to leave this to the eye of the beholder concept and respect any constructive critique of the game and then take certain elements into consideration on how these determinations are being created. ie: different hardware different tastes different expectations and such.

AFM I think the physics are great but I am also aware I might have come to my conclusion differently then you and with that would wonder why anyone would be less then happy with this game as if there is a common equation coming from a certain group(example G27 users) it would be good to know. However I do assume this game is pretty consistent at this point in time

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back