• "Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Project Cars 2 - Modding Discussions

Discussion in 'Project CARS 2 Mods' started by Graham Laing, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ........ Mostly harmless Staff

Ratings:
    +2,146
    Feel free to use this sticky thread to discuss your PC2 mods, projects, and ideas

Please don't create new threads in this forum to have a discussion or ask questions. The modding forum is for completed (uploaded) mods only.

Cheers :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Love Love x 1
  2. JDougNY

JDougNY

Ratings:
    +217
    I'll kick things off with my testing so far. Right now I have some of the game running unpacked (bootflow, hrdfpersistent, and all physics BFF's). To verify the game is looking at unpacked files, I was able to do things such as edit physicstweaker.mrdf to activate livetrace text reports to root folder.
    I'm in the process of adding in a new car, but need to swap out some files...game is crashing when choosing the car in the menu right now.

One big issue is the the "tire.rg" is now a "tire.bin" for PC2. This means that an addon car would need to use an existing hdtbin (no new hdtbin names). I think it might be possible to modify the tire.bin, after a lot of decoding (maybe Crowtrobot can help on this?). For the cars made by my team, I was always editing the hdtbin for front/rear tyre width, so I don't care for having to be stuck using an existing hdtbin and whatever settings may exist in that file.

Well...that's it for now....going back to trying to get my car to work in game.

Edit: The cockpit *.cpt is now a binary "_cockpit.bin". Also, the addition of a *.VDP file in vehicle folder.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Wow Wow x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Opel-King

Opel-King

Ratings:
    +26
    Is it possible to edit the original liverys? Or extract the original livery, edit and use as custom-skin?

4. LamboMantisMan23

LamboMantisMan23

Ratings:
    +98
    My post in the other thread:

• Like Like x 2
  5. skylinegtr34

skylinegtr34

Ratings:
    +4
    someone can make the skin of 488gte of risi competizione n°82??

6. JDougNY

JDougNY

Ratings:
    +217
    I have to contradict the "no new formats" stated by LMM23, due to what I found and noted in my initial post.
    Tire.rg is now a new format as tire.bin (binary instead of plaintext). Unless the tire.bin is expanded for a new tyre hdtbin, we are stuck using a vanilla hdtbin...no good when tyre grip needs to be reduced/increased via changing either front or rear tyre width in hdtbin.

The cockpit *.cpt is a new format as "_cockpit.bin" (binary instead of plaintext). Makes it a chore to do simple things like adjust needle angles for gauges.

New physics control item for driveline called "driveline.rg"

The original physics files have differences in them (format, length, new data, etc)

Format of CDV and CGP has changed

A new VDP exists in vehicle folder....appears to assemble a driver character together

New file in vehicle folder called "pitcontroller.bin"

It should be possible to do something....highly likely. Right now, I'm sticking with the attempt to add in a new car. So, I can't look into things like modifying original skins at this time. For myself, If I/we/somebody can't get a car into the game, I say goodbye to PC2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LamboMantisMan23

LamboMantisMan23

Ratings:
    +98
    Sorry! Hadn’t had a look properly, was only looking into the MEBs. Well done though on getting this.

I’ve got the same step as you, getting the game to notice the new vehicle but crashing when it’s selected, even with files from the game itself. I’m worried something is stop the game running the cars unpacked.

8. JDougNY

JDougNY

Ratings:
    +217
    Yeah...I'm just sitting down and getting back to where I left off yesterday. I'll try starting off small....like a vhf that has only the brake discs in it...see if anything works. I did replace all driver character files and CDP/CDV/CGP/VDP with the PC2 equivalents. I think I better come up with a binary replacement for the CPT, before I continue, too.

EDIT: and don't give up...the more people digging in the better.

• Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Ford

Michael Ford

Ratings:
    +39
    So is it possible to undo the .meb file for the vehicles, i've unpacked all the files i can to view the vehicle, but 3dsimed wont undo anything, is there another program that i'm missing or is it impossible at the moment?

10. JDougNY

JDougNY

Ratings:
    +217
    SMS has obfuscated the model vertex data in the code of the meb. So, no 3d app can open the meb files at this time.

11. Michael Ford

Michael Ford

Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks! just what i thought!

12. Opel-King

Opel-King

Ratings:
    +26
    My first test:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Shiimis

Shiimis

Ratings:
    +39
    @JDougNY perhaps you're trying to load a car which has unobfuscated mebs, since those mebs have different header for vertex section, the game cannot find the correct one and crashes?

14. JDougNY

JDougNY

Ratings:
    +217
    Of course I was attempting to load a car with unobfuscated mebs. That would be to test if PC2 will read the old style mebs. The difference in the header should tell the game if the data is obfuscated or not. There was a point during development where there was a mix of both types of mebs in use. So, unless SMS stripped away that ability to process both types of mebs, there shouldn't be an issue.
    What I'll test today is a car made up of obfuscated PC2 mebs....basically a form of a cloned car using all PC2 format files. Initially, I had taken one of the cars I had made (Lotus 2Eleven), then replaced any files that have changed for PC2 with the new formats.

Also, having unpacked and examined more fully all that has changed....the amount of things that have changed to binary makes me feel that it's all going to be too much of a chore to make a car. The tire.rg changing to binary creates an issue where I won't be 100% happy with the physics I could create for a new car. Could you imagine the confusion created if I were to provide a revised tire.bin for every car GVSE and I might release?

well...one step at a time....I'll start by putting on some coffee and having some breakfast...lol (I haven't been digging into all of this with much enthusiasm to be honest).

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. JDougNY

JDougNY

Ratings:
    +217
    @LamboMantisMan23
    I replaced the typical pakfiles we use for addon cars with the pakfiles from a PC2 vehicle. That got me loading to the track, before the next crash.

• Like Like x 2
  16. LamboMantisMan23

LamboMantisMan23

Ratings:
    +98
    Oh dam! Have you got it reading your Lotus 3D?

17. Shiimis

Shiimis

Ratings:
    +39
    @JDougNY not sure what is your approach when determining the cause of crashes, but I think that using something like Process Monitor could give you hints where the problem is.

I would gladly help with this, if you could help me prepare pcars2 for testing.

18. JDougNY

JDougNY

Ratings:
    +217
    @LamboMantisMan23
    Yes, I tried to get the Lotus 2Eleven to load with only the brake discs in the VHF.

@Shiimis
    I'm pretty sure that the issue is in the physics with the tyres and this new tire.bin arrangement. I do have process monitor and will see if that will provide some insight.

• Like Like x 2
  19. JDougNY

JDougNY

Ratings:
    +217
    @LamboMantisMan23
    Duh...I forgot to go to the showroom and look at things. PC2 is reading and displaying my unobfuscated brake disc mebs.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LamboMantisMan23

LamboMantisMan23

Ratings:
    +98
    Awesome, there maybe some hope as long as it doesn’t get patched

• Like Like x 1