PC2 Project CARS 2 announced with crowdfunding options

Project Cars 2.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios has officially announced a sequel to Project Cars today as Project Cars 2 is now official, and the WMD crowdfunding campaign has gone live.

Apparently the first big difference with the first title is that PCars 2 will feature off-road racing, along with Touge and Hillclimb events.

The crowdfunding tool-packs, which you can see on the WMD page, start from 50 British pounds and go all the way to 10,000 pounds.

Here's the shortlist of the PCars 2 features:
  • THE LARGEST TRACK ROSTER EVER – 50 unique locations and 200+ courses including ‘loose surface racing’ on dirt, gravel, mud, and snow. All will have dynamic time of day and weather allowing you to play anytime, anywhere
  • THE WIDEST VARIETY OF MOTORSPORTS with 8 different disciplines now including Rallycross, Hillclimbs, and Touge. 200+ cars from over 40 different vehicle classes including never-before-seen Concepts and Banned Race Cars
  • CO-OP CAREER – Play as the Teammate Driver, Spotter, Driver Swap, or Co-Pilot. More choices, more opportunities, more strategy, greater risks and greater rewards
  • SEAMLESSLY CONNECTED – Socialize and compete via Online Track Days, have players from around the world take the place of AI-controlled drivers in your solo play, and get news updates on the Driver Network around you
  • PRO ESPORTS RACING – Skill & Behavioural-based matchmaking, create your own Online Racing Leagues, and Live Broadcast and Spectator functionality
  • YOUR HOME FOR RACING – Your own personal, customisable Test Track to tune and test your cars. Invite others to showcase your passion for racing and learn race craft and engineering with the Project CARS Academy
Update: First videos already out on YouTube
Update 2: Videos have been removed from YouTube

The one thing I haven't noticed anyone mention is the employees. Only some are needed for resolving bugs and creating DLC. So where do the rest go? Without the next pCARS to work on, I guess they lose their jobs and move to another developer.

Well, they could work on evolving pCars as a single platform like thay stated at first... You know the way Sector3, ISI and Kunos do with their respective sims. That makes sense for a simulation product, that you evolve constantly over time, tuning and adding to your platform.

But it makes less sense for a "game" you want to release after hyping to cash in, then follow with pre-packaged DLC and then move to the next hype-train. Then you start the sequel to keep your gig.

pCars took a turn from sim platform into being just another driving game a long time ago, despite all the good intentions from the get-go.

The talent of the team shines through however, with the likes of the very experienced programmer Steven Dunn as well as the great Doug Arnao and it is a lot more than a mere "game" but still, the intentions are clear.

The one thing I haven't noticed anyone mention is the employees. Only some are needed for resolving bugs and creating DLC. So where do the rest go? Without the next pCARS to work on, I guess they lose their jobs and move to another developer.

These guys (namely the artists and modellers) can by all means work on the sequel, but they can do so without also having the said sequel announced publically with crowdfunding involved as well.

SMS would surely have enough cash from the sales of pCARS to at least allow for the artists to start developing models for new cars and new tracks, the sort of stuff community involvement won't really change.

But announcing it seems like a huge slap in the face to those who want the current game fixed and are now worried attention will be placed on the sequel.

This also makes a mockery of crowdfunding in general. This game does not need crowdfunding. It is a sequel to a million plus seller released in 2015. Crowdfunding is great for games that the gamers want that for some reason publishers don't know the gamers want, not for stuff like this. It made sense for pCARS 1, but not now.

PCARS 2 is also going to have a publisher as well...when crowdfunded games are usually developers reaching out to the community to fund games publishers say no to. What an absolute crock.

SMS are doing this because it's an easy way to gain income from a game that won't be released for years. And this time it's not an investment system either, so SMS keep the cash no matter what happens as the game will be definitely be released even if the 7 million target isn't met. All this funding is basically an extravagant, misleading donation system

How this is acceptable is beyond me, it really is.

So you're saying that SMS should have started on pCARS 2 but not told anybody about it? I suppose the crowd-funding aspect could have been started by calling the new project something completely different and not letting anyone know what it was about.

SMS isn't "doing this to gain income". Do you have any idea how much money pCARS 1 made? We don't know exactly the gross revenue yet, nor the net, but 50 million euros is a conservative gross estimate. You seriously believe that SMS couldn't have funded pCARS 2 completely on their own? You think the people that are getting involved are so stupid that they can't read what they get for the money, and SMS is somehow "misleading" them? Man, you must think those thousands of people are really stupid, because what they get for the contribution is pretty clearly articulated.

Your posts reads as if SMS forces people into the bondage of slavery rather than giving them the choice to join, or not. Does it bug you that people are choosing to join up?

So you're saying that SMS should have started on pCARS 2 but not told anybody about it? I suppose the crowd-funding aspect could have been started by calling the new project something completely different and not letting anyone know what it was about.

SMS isn't "doing this to gain income". Do you have any idea how much money pCARS 1 made? We don't know exactly the gross revenue yet, nor the net, but 50 million euros is a conservative gross estimate. You seriously believe that SMS couldn't have funded pCARS 2 completely on their own? You think the people that are getting involved are so stupid that they can't read what they get for the money, and SMS is somehow "misleading" them? Man, you must think those thousands of people are really stupid, because what they get for the contribution is pretty clearly articulated.

Your posts reads as if SMS forces people into the bondage of slavery rather than giving them the choice to join, or not. Does it bug you that people are choosing to join up?

In before everyone lol, you missed the point ol' chap.

I'm a little confused, the new backing system has no possible return on investment ?
It's a pure donation ?

To me it is well worth the game price of 50 $ to be part of and see development but
I guess it's tthe same in STAR CITIZEN and they are doing fairly well on the financing.

:)

SMS definitely needs somebody in the office who knows PR.
Not even EA pulls off such stinky moves :)

This announcement says exactly one thing: "Hey folks, we abandoned pCars - if you want a better product with less issues than pCars, hey, why not buy pCars2?"

I see it exactly as Richard Eriksson - if they would be serious about the engine and the sim, then they would evolve it like everybody else does since years until it reaches a point where it's required to start from scratch (rFactor and rFactor2 for example).

This feels so much like CoD's and BF's yearly or bi-yearly release schedule...

Well, maybe this time they at least don't break any laws with their crowd funding? :D

In all seriousness, this whole situation is much bigger and on a way larger scale and it does not stop at a business venture such as pCars, as was outlined by previous posts.

IMO SMS are now too big to stop, but is that so bad for me, no it's not because I get more joy from other titles.

Anyone that cares about whats important to them they should DO IT <insert Shia Lebeuf meme>.
Many of us including me would rather have nothing to do with SMS (as an institution, and model for business) at RD. In fact if there's an option to block out content from a certain title I'd like that option.

We all vote with our dollar, one can now argue that we even vote with clicks on ads now. Things are way more perverse then we chose to allow ourselves to imagine. And "investors" with this type of info as ammunition, will profit off our/my money (this happens every second with all products), but as the saying goes "fool me once...".

The realities are SMS need to release another game in 2-3 years time or they will go bankrupt. In order to release a game in 2-3 years time they need to start work now. The only difference with SMS and other developers is because of the open development you get to see this. With most other developers you do not know when they start work on their next game.

There is another difference, other (most) developers ask for your money when they finish, not before they start.

More than 1 million PC1 copies sold in one month and people still thinking that this is a crowd funding. I don`t wanna live in the same planet with someone that wanna give this any money.
If the game is good I`ll buy it when it`s done and free of bugs, but right now I`m still waiting for this to happen with PC1.

Fish rots from the Head. This sort of money grab has Ian Bell written all over it.

Ironically, us console users are blown away by it (when it works), but I understand it would never meet PC standards and still has way too many bugs on the xbox one. They somehow managed to dumb down the game, full it with bugs, and compromise the console at the same time. This group has some real talent!

I'm sure they have some great folks on their staff, but when you work for a complete idiot, it's hard to get any real sense of accomplishment. The timing decision of this announcement alone tells you all you need to know about how the SMS CEO thinks.

They can do whatever they please, but don't expect the community to start singing the praises of SMS when they do this. Not everyone knows about game dev life cycles like we do.

Judging by Ian's reaction, it's like no one at SMS expected backlash over the announcement. I am sure it is nice to live in an enclosed bubble where pCARS is a perfect game in their world, but it ain't the truth no matter how well it has sold. A new franchise like pCARS is has to develop trust and loyalty within the community, and having an announcement like this ruins a lot of goodwill.

Guess what is going to happen in future updates for pCARS? The cloud of the sequel will hover over anything SMS do, as people tend to focus on negativity. Any time content, features or bug fixes are missing from an update, people will question whether more attention has been put in the sequel and whether they things they want included or fixed will require purchasing another game. How about the DLC cars and tracks? Chances are they'll be included from the outset on the sequel, so no one will buy the extra content if they aren't super keen on it. Just because you and I know that they have a dedicated team for the current game doesn't mean everyone does, and there's no promises this 40 man team will stay this large as the months move on.

OK, so if this game could easily be released without a single dollar of crowdfunding like Ian alluded to, where exactly is this extra cash going? Fair enough if it goes into new licenses and potential for laser-scanning more circuits, but to many people at first impression it seems like an easy pocket liner for SMS.

However after how the first game turned out, the sim racers who were the majority of the backers for the first game won't even think about backing the sequel. We were sold on promises and hype for the first game that never eventuated, so we sure as hell aren't gonna pay even more for the same disappointment in a few years time.

I actually don't think it will reach it's "funding" goal due to this, along with the no return investments perk which means people looking for a method of gaining cash interest-free won't be interested anymore. When there's no need to fund something, why pay something now when you can make a better decision after the game has actually released?

I like the early access release system if it's done well, but early access games tend to be available for discounted prices to make up for a game that is likely to have issues when launched. Here, you pay at the very least for the full price of the game (or more if you want added incentives and an actual say into the development process) just to get the privilege to bug test the game for SMS and become free marketing mouthpieces for them. I know for a fact in WMD the amount of design decisions handed to the community for the first game were small in number, and even some of the feedback of the drivers that helped test the game like Ben Collins was basically ignored. Doesn't give me much hope for the future.

This round of backing has nothing to do with crowd funding. It's purely to have a group of motivated community testers to interact with. Think of it as attempting to take the best points of the community interaction from pCARS 1 over into pCARS 2: get the guys in who are happy to install lots of test builds, fight through the bugs and provide feedback on the rough game beneath, while not having to worry about the guys who try a single build every few months and then head off out to broadcast how awful the game is without having any idea of context.

Starting work on a sequel with a core team while still being committed to improving the original for 2 years is standard business, I find it amusing to read all these comments that imply otherwise. Sure, if the team left operating pCARS 1 doesn't deliver on the current gaps and issues then there's a legitimate case to complain, but right now we can see the patches rolling in and fixing plenty.

Very interesting. I might not agree with them pulling this out so early, but I can see what they're doing. The development process including the alpha tests and such for PCars took several years; so I can see why they want to get started early by offering crowdfunding options.

I don't understand why people are so keen to knock on it on this forum. You don't have to crowdfund the game. If you're skeptical or don't wish to pay that much to get base-level testing gameplay, then don't. There were loads of people that funded PCars and tested it for SMS, and its not really arguable that the base game itself (ignore multiplayer for a moment here) isn't fantastic, all the cars, tracks, tyre model/weather, etc. A more open look and a foray into stuff like rallycross would definitely be interesting.

That being said, I would've liked for SMS to have waited at least 6 months to a year before they announced this, and even then maybe only on a small-scale on the WMD forums rather than a big official post on the PCars website. It does seem like they're detracting from PCars development, which is really disappointing. It feels like they saw the sales numbers, got a little too big for their boots, and decided to start work on their next 'big one' already. Confidence can be good, but overconfidence can be killer in the game industry.

I guess we'll see what will come of it, hopefully we will see more work on PCars rather than PCars 2 right now.

Edit: I also feel the need to mention that in AAA games, developers that are looking to continue IPs or other projects start work almost immediately after their game has been released, be it with the same team, a new team, or a mix of both. Again, I feel like some more time could have passed before they 'officially' announced it; but a company is a company, they can't make all their money via DLC purchases, they have to think about their next game, which I can see is fair.

Whether or not this move will kind of screw the PCars playerbase in terms of bugfixes and et cetera remains to be seen, but I would hope that SMS have the sense to put PCars 2 on the backburner for the next few months until PCars is fully up to the multiplayer standard that a lot of us were expecting.

Last edited:
I read this news article and seriously laughed out loud. Absolutely hilarious.
It is on days like this that I take comfort in the fact that there are still GOOD, honest, developers, such as Reiza Studios. With them you know you'll never get that kind of crap.
Maybe even Codemasters with DiRT Rally can be classified under that category, the way they're going at it.

The thing which shocked me the most was reading here and at VR how many people work for SMS.
Kunos made their game having for most of the time a team of less than 10 men and now I read that SMS have "over 100 veteran staff"???
And with such manpower and after so many delays they put on sale such an unfinished product???

And announcing the sequel less than 2 months from debut of the pCARS 1 is just hilarious.
As well as the prices are.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back