Problems saving pages

KS95

RACER Moderator
Hey guys,

boomer541 has said to me (in the Racer forum) that he's having trouble saving pages (downloading for reference). Sometimes it works and other times he says that "it changes the page name to #postsomenumber or a window pops up and states that the page can't be saved".

I haven't a clue and I don't know whether it's on his side or RDs.

Any and all help appreciated,

Cheers, Scott.

Tried to post a reply in the racer v0.9.0 rc3 thread and the page went blank when I tried to insert an image. tried three times same result.

I noticed the the page name changed to #post 1188xxx. so I just posted my text and then went to another thread where the page name was correct and posted the image correctly.

Refrshed my MS IE 8 browser and went back to the post in the racer thread and the page name was correct. Edited the post, inserted the image and saved it. worked.

There seems to be something with the RD software and MS IE8 working over the page and changing the name.

Hope this helps clarify the problem. I still think you should shoot the oragutans in the back room!

Yeah, working fine in 4 of my browsers. Didn't even know I had 4 installed, LOL.
Why not update to IE9? That's a decent one.

The #post1188 bit is just a standard HTML tag, the page skips to that specific post.
It shows up when you click on links to people's posts. Click on the thread title, or the page numbers at the bottom, or remove the tag manually, and it won't show.

EDIT: I have noticed something now. The page isn't saved correctly if there's a # tag in the URL. The text is there, but no graphics. Solution: remove the # tag.
That's only in Opera, my default browser. Works fine in others.

Thanks Senad, I'll give your tip a try but would hope that the software engineers would fix the problem for all the MS IE8 users. I do have firefox but can't get used to using it.

I recently installed IE8 on a different computer, the download took four hours with my slow DSL. DSL = Damned Slow Link.

Think I found a solution:
Open thread in "new tab", delete the #post xxx, click enter and when the page goes blank refresh it and it saved reasonable correct, it was too wide when the saved page was opened.but I can fix that by editing the html.

Bram, I save the racer forum pages that have technical information on them as I do not have a photographic memory. Then I am able to use the info off line.

The page being saved is already in my cache and that is where it is saved from, so there isn't any extra bandwidth being used to save the page.

Also when old RSC went down a lot of good info was lost to cyber space but fortunately I had saved many of the technical pages from that site.

I have not tried to print pages when on line, I like trees, and the pages sometimes arre way too long and would take a lot of paper.

Anyway, my problems appear to have been solved.

We are not RSC and as long as Ruud wants the racer forum to stay online, it will stay online in its current form.:thumbsup:
We make daily backups of the databases and all our content so in case something happens we can always restore without a problem. You will most loose a days worth of information max.

Boomer has mentioned how slow his internet is, so it's probably easier keeping the pages for reference on his computer in that sense.

And thanks for giving us a new home and keeping us Bram ;) RD>RSC anyday.

Yes Bram, Thanks for giving racer a place to have its forum which is very important to the racer community.
And yes, my DSL is slow! It sometimes takes 20 to 30 seconds to load a page, only a second to save from my cache, and only a second or two to veiw it off line.

I don't think we need to beat this thread into the ground and hope we are done with it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back