problems running rbr

Hopefully someone can help me. I've been having problems getting the rbr base game to run properly. In a stage suddenly the trees will dissapear and the game will run really jerkily and laggy. The computer is a compaq running windows xp. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I hope to eventually run RSBr 2012.

Thanks

I've been having problems getting the rbr base game to run properly. In a stage suddenly the trees will dissapear and the game will run really jerkily and laggy. The computer is a compaq running windows xp.

That sounds like your Graphics Card, or even your Processor, is struggling to meet the basic demands for RBR.
However, that seems unusual because the base RBR is fairly old and not too demanding on PC resources.
Can you provide some more details re your system, eg. processor speed, video card specs?

Can you also list the contents of your Richard Burns Rally.ini file (it should be only a few lines).
Have you tried lowering your graphics resolution?

That sounds like your Graphics Card, or even your Processor, is struggling to meet the basic demands for RBR.
However, that seems unusual because the base RBR is fairly old and not too demanding on PC resources.
Can you provide some more details re your system, eg. processor speed, video card specs?

Can you also list the contents of your Richard Burns Rally.ini file (it should be only a few lines).
Have you tried lowering your graphics resolution?
The processor is a Pentium 4- 2.93 GHZ 504 Mb of RAM

I don't think its got a separate graphics card.

The ini file has this:

[Settings]
ConstantForceMultiplier = -60
Depth = 32
ForceFeedback = true
Fullscreen = true
MinDepthBits = 24
MinStencilBits = 8
ParticleQuality = high
RenderQuality = high
RunIntro = true
RunStartup = false
Sound = true
UseCubicEnvironmentMaps = true
UseEAX = false
UseSoftwareAudio = false
UseTripleScreenBuffers = false
WaitRetrace = true
XRes = 800
YRes = 600

Thanks if you can help

The ini file has this:

[Settings]
ConstantForceMultiplier = -60
Depth = 16
ForceFeedback = true
Fullscreen = true
MinDepthBits = 24
MinStencilBits = 8
ParticleQuality = low
RenderQuality = low
RunIntro = true
RunStartup = false
Sound = true
UseCubicEnvironmentMaps = false
UseEAX = false
UseSoftwareAudio = false
UseTripleScreenBuffers = false
WaitRetrace = true
XRes = 800
YRes = 600

It may be that your graphics is an on-board chip and therefore may struggle.
All I can think of is to try reducing the demands on resources to the very minimum and see if it improves. If it does, you may be able to gently crank up the settings some more.

Try the settings indicated in the RBR.ini file marked in blue. It may look pretty basic but it might help see if that is your problem.

All I can think of is to try reducing the demands on resources to the very minimum and see if it improves. If it does, you may be able to gently crank up the settings some more.

Try the settings indicated in the RBR.ini file marked in blue. It may look pretty basic but it might help see if that is your problem.

Thanks I'll give that a go tonight and see if that helps. If it doesn't I had thought about buying a graphics card to go in the back. Do you think that would be a good move?. I don't have a lot of money but I've seen some for relatively cheap prices EDIT: Tried that tonight and good news, the lagging problem has gone but the trees are still disappearing mid way through the stage. That suggests to me that a graphics card would sort that. Does that sound right to you?

I gave this a go and it's cured the lagging problem but the trees are still disappearing. Does it sound like I need to upgrade to a graphics card to you? Thats what it suggests to me.

It's difficult to know without knowing the full specs for your system, but it seems likely. It may need even more of an upgrade if the CPU is very old or you don't have sufficient RAM. Your supplied specs do meet the minimum requirements for RBR (except for the graphics) but are still low end. I fear it will struggle with RSRBR2012.

Does it do this (disappearing trees) for all Stages in the game. Are some worse than others?

Hopefully, someone more experienced can help.

Hmmmnnnn!!!!
There is certainly a trend here. Maybe it does have something to do with the lack of a separate graphics card.
Alasdair, are you able to pick up a very cheap card that might fit your system? If it's a laptop, you may be out of luck though.

Hmmmnnnn!!!!
There is certainly a trend here. Maybe it does have something to do with the lack of a separate graphics card.
Alasdair, are you able to pick up a very cheap card that might fit your system? If it's a laptop, you may be out of luck though.

It's not a laptop and there is space to fit a card in the back. I'm torn between doing that or adding more RAM. Not sure which way to go yet. I might even try one and then the other depending on the outcome.

Definitely throw a card in there. RBR isn't demanding it just doesn't like chipsets. Need a proper GFX card. Unfortunately I have a laptop. Dissappearing trees does have its advantages. I can see the lie of the corner before I am in it. But then I hit something invisible... :mad:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back