1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

problems, need help please

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Yves Larose, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

hi a friend of a friend gave me a laptop to fix it is now running under Windows Vista Home edition premium but since the owner doesn't have the CD and neither have i i have to down grade it to Windows XP. i start the install it then loading all XP need after that as usual the screen go black with the blinking cursor at the top left but after maybe 30 seconds i get a blue screen telling me that windows have encountered a problem that i might have a virus or a problem with the HDD. the current install of Vista work well (altho slow cause all the **** on the pc) and there is no sign of a HDD problem, i did noticed that the laptop surface come very hot after awhile its running but i hear the fan running so i'm wondering if its normal.

the laptop is about 6 years old, its an HP Pavilion DV-5 notebook so anyone have any clue of why i get the blue screen telling me i might have a virus or HDD problem ?

2. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

i found the problem, since the laptop is optimize for Windows Vista the XP installation cd misses a driver for the HDD so the only way to install XP on that laptop is to add the driver to the XP cd and reburn it but since i don't have spare dvd's i found a Windows Vista cd and i will use his cd-key to reinstall it.