Problem with my POT and BU0386-LC circuit board

NOTE: These boards are the older versions from 2008 or before.

Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my circuit board when using POT's. The POT's I'm using are these: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=SP657-10K-ND
These are the same exact POT's that the CST pedals use.

Just for reference, I also own the original BU0386 (w/o load cell capability)

Here's the issue...

If I plug my POT into the original BU0386(w/o LC capability) and then plug the board into my PC through USB, I get the full range of motion from the POT. You can see this when viewing DIVIEW.

If I plug the POT into the BU0386-LC board and then plug that board into the PC through USB, I only get half of the POT's full range of motion.

However, this is where it gets weird...

If I plug the POT into the original BU0386 (w/o LC capability), and then plug the board into the PC FIRST, then unplug that board from the PC, then connect the POT to the BU0386-LC board (the load cell board), then plug THAT board into the PC, I get full range of motion with the LC board.

All of that was difficult to understand, I know.

Basically, I have to plug the POT into the BU0386 first, and then plug the POT into the BU0386-LC directly after, in order to get full range of motion from the BU0386-LC. If I just use the POT with the LC board without plugging in the original BU0386 beforehand, I only get half range of motion from the LC board.

Even weirder is the fact that when I do get full range of motion from the LC board (after going through the above steps), I can unplug the LC board from the PC and then re-connect it to the PC and only get half range of motion from the POT.

I really hope you guys understood all that gibberish. If not, I'll try to explain it a little better.

Here are the steps to repeat this problem...

1) plug POT into BU0386 (the board w/o LC capability)
2) plug the board into the PC with USB
3) open DIVIEW and see the full range of motion from the POT
4) unplug the BU0386 from the PC
5) plug the POT into the BU0386-LC
6) plug the BU0386-LC into the PC with USB
7) open DIVIEW and see full range of motion
8) disconnect BU0386-LC from PC
9) reconnect BU0386-LC to the PC with USB
10) open DIVIEW and see only half range of motion from the POT

I hope that helps. It's a very strange problem and I've already contacted Leo Bodnar on his website. However, I figured I would try to get some help here, as I know some of you are very smart fellas.

Last edited:
I contacted Leo Bodnar and his team knew exactly what the issue was.

It seems that the CST circuit board was programmed originally with the X-Axis set to "Zoom".

Essentially, this is done so that you can still get the 4096 steps of resolution out of just half of the POT travel. I have now set the option to "Normal" with Leo's BU0386-LC configuration program.

I had no idea this was possible, so I wanted to post this in case someone in the future has this issue.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back