private racing on impulse?

V

vmagics

• vmagics

Forgive my ignorance in all of this but I was just mooching about, looking for a public race to join in GTR Evo - nothing inparticular - just a quick race before my daily drudgery begins and at the moment their are 5 races with the name 'Racedepartment.com' prefixed (private obviously, so out of bounds to myself). Anyway, on looking at the RD calendar there is only one race today and that is in GTL. Now I'm curious to know how this works because I was under the impression that the RD admin sets up races at specific times and that's your lot, but since there's an "add new event" tab I'd like to know what else is on offer. The reason I've never bothered joining a racing club is because having specific races at specific times sadly wouldn't work for me. At times, the only thing I can do is drop into a server as the mood takes me, as I do in the notorious public servers. So are there private RD servers setup for people to just drop in on impulse too, and who sets these up? Thanks

The RD servers set up are practice servers, for people to post times and acclimatise themselves to a track before an event. I think there used to be a pick-up-and-play server being run during the European winter, but AFAIK it was taken down because nobody was using it.

Even if there was a server like this set up, you'd still need to register for the RD racing club first. :)

• vmagics

Even if there was a server like this set up, you'd still need to register for the RD racing club first. :)
Thanks. Yes I'm aware that it would be exclusively for racing club members. That's the problem, I can't really run to a schedule unfortunately so it would seem that my only option is public servers. Just out of curiosity I'd be interested to know if that's the reason for many other people settling for public racing.

I can completely understand you not being able to keep to a schedule as I also find it difficult, I just happen to be lucky in that the 2 days I know I can race, are at the moment using my class of choice (WTCC on Sun & Wed night).

Why dont you join the racing club though? It costs nothing, (except your real name!), and you may find yourself being able to race the odd occasion - race events are posted up a good week before hand.

I can testify that you will find a great bunch of guys with VERY clean and close racing from the few races I have had with them so far.

• vmagics

I have contemplated joining on several occasions and I'm sure I'll be welcomed (because I'm clean... although crap:)) but I'd honestly feel a bit guilty about taking up unnecessary space, especially when I wouldn't be in any position to make an acceptably sized donation. Not because I've been given any reason to feel that way, on the contrary infact. But it's a personal thing, out of respect you understand. I must add though, that I have had quite a few very good races in public servers over the last week... surprisingly. By the way, if it's of any interest my online name is 'Vmagics' - remember, clean...but crap. Or should that be 'ambitious... but rubbish:thinking:.
While I'm here and to avoid starting a whole new thread, I was just checking out the 'setups' section and saw the rule "No setup requests (never!)". Why is this?

Again I understand completely how you feel. Without it sounding like I am harrasing you, I urge you to just try it! From my limited couple of races, there always seems to be a couple of drop-outs for various reasons, and also, often a "waiting list" of drivers available if the grid is not full. You could put yourself as a "maybe" and then jump on if there is space.

Dont really think the donation thing should come into it, thats a very personal thing IMO and should be made as and when you feel like it, if what happens here is worth it to you. (Having said that, its only taken 2 races for me to decide that I will be making a donation at end of month.)

Also I could do with someone else to keep the back of the grid interesting lol!

While I'm here and to avoid starting a whole new thread, I was just checking out the 'setups' section and saw the rule "No setup requests (never!)". Why is this?

My guess is that it avoids taking up valuable server space. Anyhow, people are likely to find a setup they want if they look hard enough, so there's really no point in posting a request. Once it's been gotten the hang of, making a setup on your own is quite easy. :)

I would always like an RD server just to race RD members during the day or when you dont feel like a scheduled event. Would definitely be something I would go into, that is if there are a good amount of people in!

Last night there was 60 people spread across 20 servers. Evo doesn't have that public presence that rfactor or gtr2 has. That's why the club is the way to go. Have an event scheduled, plan for it, practice for it, and enjoy it and the clean racing that comes with it.

My advice is - join the racing club - your under no obligation to actually take part in races, you can drop into the servers for practice once your a member, even if your not actually entered in the event, and because RD have so many 'one off' races you will be able to sign up for those too...

You won't get any pressure to donate, you will get good racing and you will find a great bunch of people to have some fun with.

Simples !

Hey there, vmagics, I joined a month ago, and still have not raced, my favorite time is during the day when I'm off. Haven't got in to one of the races yet, but I sure want too. I really like GTR Evo touring cars. I'm not fast either lol. I have just been reading in the forums and looking at the schedule.

joined up last weekend and got my 3rd race tomoro. im not the best driver out there but im still loving every minute of it.

its great taking part in a race that people stick out to the end. always noticed playing in pubs that there is a lot of drop outs and all of a sudden your in 3rd place out of 3 :S and clean respectfull racing is a breath or fresh air.

from what ive noticed classes seem to run on certain nights (corect me if im wrong) personally i can manage a monday (caterham) and wednesday(wtcc) race without too much trouble. worth registering looking in the forums and seeing if any suit you

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 464 39.1%