PrestoGP S16 R1 Austria - Setup Thread

Hello guys :) I think I said in the sign up thread that I would not be able to participate in the first race, but looks like I was wrong. However, it might be the second one I'm missing instead!

Anyway, started practicing today and since modern open-wheelers haven't really been my thing since I started with rFactor2, the setup from Valerio Vinassa was appreciated. It was easy to drive and I soon started to lap 1:15's with a few small changes to the setup. Now I'm down to 1:13.4 as personal best. Quite happy with that, but looking at LiveRacers it looks like I'm missing topspeed. 270 km/h against 276 km/h for the fastest guys. Let's see if I dare to take some wings off.. Gonna try that tomorrow!

Please can anyone shed some light on why the FR3.5, as the Williams F2, have front toe *OUT* instead of IN by default, and same with rear, they have 20' rear *in*, instead of out?
It seems counterintuitive. I tried changing the setup to a more "natural" front toe in and rear toe out, but I get the impression that I'm working against the car.

Another problem I'm struggling with is the brakes. It's so easy to lock the brakes when using max brake pressure > 100 Kg. Tried experimenting with different front/rear bias, but again, it's very easy to lock them, especially in the downhill off-camber turns. I can use a pressure around 100 or lower, but it seems that I'm wasting brake power?

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Last time I checked toe out at the front and toe in at the back is the norm, and what you're describing is... Well... Backwards. :p It's similar to having more roll stiffness at the front of a car than the rear. It gives an effect of stabilising the car by being progressively more self straightening as lateral weight transfer increases. I'm not gonna say what you're describing never happens (because it definitely does happen IRL too, and I use it myself in oval racing sometimes), but it is the abnormal way to go. With this particular car, if you're having cornering issues, I'd suggest going over other suspension and alignment settings before inverting the toes.

And with it being easy to lock up with high brake pressures, well... The solution is probably to just run less pressure, or not push the pedal as hard in the difficult areas. Bad things happen when the braking force is more than the tires can handle, and this is why a lot of people just don't use max pressure. Those of us who do have some tricks in driving to try and make it work. Namely only using the full force at speed with high downforce setups (and ease off as we lose speed), making extra sure the car is 100% dead straight when we're braking hard, and strategically seeking out the lines which put us on the flattest part of the track to brake. And when all that fails, the only option is to nurse it through because there's no advantage in a flat spot.

lol
Just arrived from holiday and saw I`m still on top of the prestogp.liveracers.com for the Red Bull Ring :rolleyes:
Didn`t expect that :D

Here`s my setup I put the time.

It`s a bit oversteery in T1.
But I was also able to do similar times with a less front wing setting of -1.
Then it`s not so oversteery no more :)
I never tested this setup for race conditions (much fuel, ...),
so I don`t know how it works for the races.

Cyas
Martin :)

Attachments

• FR35_2014_008.svm
    4.3 KB · Views: 288
lol
Just arrived from holiday and saw I`m still on top of the prestogp.liveracers.com for the Red Bull Ring :rolleyes:
Didn`t expect that :D

Here`s my setup I put the time.

It`s a bit oversteery in T1.
But I was also able to do similar times with a less front wing setting of -1.
Then it`s not so oversteery no more :)
I never tested this setup for race conditions (much fuel, ...),
so I don`t know how it works for the races.

Cyas
Martin :)
I think you made a fantastic lap and hope you won't beat it right away when you'll do you next session :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back