PrestoGP rFactor2 Help Thread

Hi guys,

I've done a bit of testing with Rf2 to see what the minimum is to be able to run it on older spec pc's, I've a media pc i use for watching films, browsing and stuff when not at the main pc, The media pc is a fair few years old now its specs are....

Athlon 64 x2 3800+ skt939 @2.4ghz per core
MSI KT6V Nforce4 skt939 motherboard
2gb Hynix DDR1 400mhz ram
Radeon HD3870 512mb graphics card
WD 160gb SATAII 7200rpm HDD

I think thats roughly around 7-8 years old, just thrown together with bits i had laying around gathering layers of dust, I installed RF2 light version, installed the renault 3.4 2014 mod and ISI Silverstone, so started it all up and it loaded surprisingly quick, set everything to low and off,and set a locked framerate of 45fps set visible cars to 16 and started a single player race with 25 ai, The res of my TV is 1920x1080 and I was shocked with how it ran and looked, I set my player to be AI controlled because I didn't have the wheel plugged in, so watch the AI drive around in various camera views, mainly from cockpit though, It looked very good even on lowest settings, it ran very well too, ISI Silverstone is a notoriously hard track to run hence why I specifically chose it, to my big surprise it actually stayed at 45fps, didnt budge and it was plenty smooth enough to be able to race, if id set to a lower res it would run even better, and I imagine better still in multiplayer when its not having to use cpu and ram to deal with 25 AI.

for anyone who couldnt afford a major upgrade then this might be a way to get you up and running so we can move forward with RF2 and hopefully get our numbers back up for a new season, the athlon64x2 3800 is only £12 on ebay delivered, 2gb of ram is £6, the 3870 is around £15-20, If anyone if willing to try that out give me a shout and I'll help them through the process.:thumbsup:

I think i've found something to help reducing my lag. I shut off the replay recorder. After a few tries with HDR on, player car at High and some other graphics at medium, everything seems fine. :thumbsup: Hopefully i will be able to add even more details without lag :)

Are you meaning input lag, or lag in the sense of jumping around on online servers?

If you meant input-lag, the solution is to achieve a good high enough (constant) fps rate.
If you would need to turn stuff like texture-quality and trackdetails under "high", I would much rather suggest to turn environment- and roadreflections to "off" first. "Off" doesn't mean no reflections, it just means that the reflections are not constantly updating but instead only sometimes, which doesn't make that huge of a differece visually but performance wise it does.

When you find a good enough connstant minimum fps-rate, you can also eliminate the fps-jumps by using the fps-limiter in the player.json file to set a maximum limit on your fps. It should help with a smoother picture and also saves you some energy.

If the replay recorder has a impact on your performance, but you still want to use it, you could also set the replay-fidelity to "Minimum". That produces the smallest possible replay files. That way you can still look at your races and except for some shifting soundeffects and other small stuff everything important is still in the replays.

For actual connection-lag on the servers:
Open the multiplayer in the launcher and go to Network Settings and set the speeds for down- and upstream to something atleast double as high than the default (if the default is still only 128kbps).

Are you meaning input lag, or lag in the sense of jumping around on online servers?

If you meant input-lag, the solution is to achieve a good high enough (constant) fps rate.
If you would need to turn stuff like texture-quality and trackdetails under "high", I would much rather suggest to turn environment- and roadreflections to "off" first. "Off" doesn't mean no reflections, it just means that the reflections are not constantly updating but instead only sometimes, which doesn't make that huge of a differece visually but performance wise it does.

When you find a good enough connstant minimum fps-rate, you can also eliminate the fps-jumps by using the fps-limiter in the player.json file to set a maximum limit on your fps. It should help with a smoother picture and also saves you some energy.

If the replay recorder has a impact on your performance, but you still want to use it, you could also set the replay-fidelity to "Minimum". That produces the smallest possible replay files. That way you can still look at your races and except for some shifting soundeffects and other small stuff everything important is still in the replays.

For actual connection-lag on the servers:
Open the multiplayer in the launcher and go to Network Settings and set the speeds for down- and upstream to something atleast double as high than the default (if the default is still only 128kbps).

I think i mean input lag. Because my lag was not only online but also in single player mode.

After reading your post, i looked at my FPS and its between 40-50, Is that enough? Oh i also raised circuit detail to High. reflection was already off. And i alos activate the recorder to minimum quality.

What value you'd recommand for the maximum FPS in the player.json file? I guess that if i'm running between 40-50 i should set it to 40?!??!? does it make sense? Is it the parameter: "Max framerate". If yes, mine is set to 0, and 0 means its turned OFF.

I also raised the network setting speed to 256kbps.

Thanks for all these info Dino. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Anyone knows why sometimes my rfactor2.exe won't do anything? Yesterday all was fine, now today i try to click on it and nothing starts. The launch screen does not open. I tried from the rf2 folder and its the same. Re-boot computer and still nothing. I am now re-installing the programm. Last time it happen to me i only reboot computer and it was ok.

Thats weird...... :(

Now when i try to re-install, i get this message:
rf2 error.JPG

Anyone knows why sometimes my rfactor2.exe won't do anything? Yesterday all was fine, now today i try to click on it and nothing starts. The launch screen does not open. I tried from the rf2 folder and its the same. Re-boot computer and still nothing. I am now re-installing the programm. Last time it happen to me i only reboot computer and it was ok.

Thats weird...... :(
For me in this current build sometimes the launcher won't activate but is open in the backround. I had this 2 times or so now. Could be that it is not closing properly, I'm not sure.

If this is the same problem that you have, you could either open your task-manager go to the "Processes" tab and close the launchrFactor.exe process manually.
Or if you don't know how that works you could simply restart the pc for the same effect.

If your problem is something else then I have no idea.

Steeve Fournier said:
What value you'd recommand for the maximum FPS in the player.json file? I guess that if i'm running between 40-50 i should set it to 40?!??!? does it make sense? Is it the parameter: "Max framerate". If yes, mine is set to 0, and 0 means its turned OFF.

If you have around 40-50 fps atm you should first try to get it nearer to or at around 60 fps. In this case setting circuit detail and texture quality to medium could do that. Afterwards you can set your "Max framerate" to 60.

Thanks DIno.

I know how to work with the task manager so next time i'll try what you said. For now i'm fine. I had to uninstall the game, then reboot the computer and re-install the game.

Thank god i had the player.json file backed-up :)

Last edited:
very gratefull of the help you guys are giving, getting into the presto spirit already :)

the more help the better though :) i just managed to get more activations after my pc upgrade so i'm going to be hitting the game hard from now, hope to see you all on track very soon.

Nice man, and one tipp while we are at it :D

In the future instead of reactivating the game after a pc upgrade/OS reinstall or whatever, just backup the ".rfactor" folder in AppData/Roaming (win 7/8). That's where the licence file is; if you place that folder back after the pc upgrade the game will already be activated.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%