PrestoGP Fun Race - FISI @ COTA Wed 9th August

David Turnbull

PrestoGP Veteran
Hi guys,

Our next fun race will be more like an evaluation of the FISI to see if we would like to use it for the forthcoming season :)

No format arranged yet but most likely 2 races 20 mins each with reverse grid as usual in fun races.

If you care what we will be using next season then this is a good opportunity to test out FISI and give your thoughts, remember nothing is set in stone yet so at this minute next season will still be Renault 3.5 until further notice :)

Server is up!

Well, if the time of the race matches what I think your regular race times are - about 8pm UK time? Very hard to find that info anywhere - I'm happy to play next week. But god knows what good it'll do, given that I'm so slow here.

Yes it's my first real time spent at this circuit; yes I am usually a few seconds off the times of the average alien in my class; yes I'm having trouble learning the setup options/effects of this car; yes my usual weakness is braking too early or gently BUT... really can't work out how to claw back even a second, let alone 3 or 4, on you fast kids at the top.

Pretty demoralising already - and I've barely found something I can lap half consistently with, so far. :(

Don't put so much pressure on yourself @James Andrew! I've never felt confident in the FISI or managed to handle it at any kind of speed either. And there's no way I'm the only one. :p There's quite a range of abilities here, so you should be able to find someone you can battle with. If you can handle the car safely in traffic then that's fine. :)

Fun fact-- I didn't feel very confident in the F3000 car in use when I first joined PrestoGP. But my debut race ended in a battle that ended with an overtake from dead last to 2nd last! It was the kind of thrilling action that's often missing from the top position. :p

I do prefer setting up the FR3.5 we've been using personally. Mainly because the limited wing angles lead to me only really using one of two different setups at each race. I had a min RW HDF setup, and a max RW MDF setup. Those two setups covered pretty much my entire season last time around. But with so many possible intermediate steps on the FISI, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed too!

Just take comfort in the fact that suspension setup isn't too important. You'll probably find that picking a setup someone posted you like and changing only the ARBs and wing angles will cover everything you need. From there you can do a lot by just focusing on driving. :D

If we use the FISI next season that's pretty much my plan. I'm gonna mooch someone else's setup and just worry about driving and strategy. I'm not really a fan of the FISI for setup process, but I'd love to play with the tire compound options now that I've put so much effort into tire strategy in endurance racing.

And yes, you're correct that everything kicks off at 8PM UK time. :) I hope you stick with it and we can meet on race day. :D

James, I did a few laps with the FISI, it was also the first time for me. What helped a lot was to dial down the differential settings, I always do that so that I can get on the throttle sooner to get out of corners. I think I also softened the front Anti roll bar to get rid of some understeer.
Besides that, the car actually wants to be driven gently (I think). Don't throw it into corners, don't try to brake super late, just try to get onto the throttle gently and get away without wheelspin. In the fast corners try to keep the car stable with keeping a small amount of throttle input.
From the liveracer site I can see you are missing 12km/h top speed.
That would cost you a lot of time on the straights, so either you are using too much wing or you struggle to get out of the corners?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 211 14.3%