1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

PrestoGP Champions Race @ Kuusamo, Wednesday February 5, 2014

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Dennis Phelan, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

[​IMG]

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM PGP
    Car: Legends Racing Mod [download here]
    Track: Kuusamo [to be released]
    Weather: Hopefully
    Games: Race 07

20:00 GMT: Qualification
    20:50 GMT: Race (30 minutes)
    21:25 GMT: Race (30 minutes)

RD Club Rules: Click Here
    Server and TeamSpeak Passwords: Click Here
    Kennett Ylitalo has put together a package race for the RD Race 07 club that's just too good to not run!. Members from Presto GP and the club are welcome to join in a different kind of race format using a car never available in this club and a brand new, never even released track by Kennett. Anyone that has races Cicada or Alpine Hills knows that he makes real road courses with beautiful scenery. I'm sure this one will hold nothing back and it will be well worth joining this race to be one of the first drivers to see this track. I haven't even seen it!

The track will be made available in our resources area in a password locked zip file. 30 minutes prior to the event the password is released in RD forum.

It's advisable to test the track in off-line race but also advisable that no one complete a lap. That's up to each and everyone's own conscience, gentlemen don't cheat.

Everyone joins the server (that is opened well before the event with "infinite" Practice 1) but no one goes on track.
    Once everyone i present:
    50 minute qualifying session, changeable weather.
    10 minute warmup, changeable weather.
    30min race, dry.
    Cycle back to practice 1 for possible breather. No one goes on track!
    30min race, changeable weather.

This is an introductory post about an upcoming event.
    A sign up thread will be posted at the end of the week.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Björn

Björn
    Ävver et Hätz bliev he in Kölle

:D

Sounds great, I guess I should put in some training laps with the car on some other tracks so I won't be totally unprepared ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Reik Major

Reik Major
    Premium Member

Wow, changeable weather already in qualy. Will be a tough challenge to learn the car and the unknown track then. Hope I can make it. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. A friend of mine was a Helicopter pilot for BAR F1 team and used to fly around timing rain (he was famous for one of the best strategy calls can't remember which race but on of there best results) Should ask him to come along :)

5. I was JUST thinking it would be nice to have a go in these cars. Just downloaded it last week, but haven't driven 'em much yet. They're a handful.
    One thing: I don't understand the "adviseable to test the track offline, but don't complete a lap" bit? I imaging this is so we're all driving qual with the track basically "sight unseen"?
    And if we're doing changeable weather for qual and warmup, then why not for the race as well?
    Anyhow, I look forward to this event.

6. Arunas

Arunas
    "Polite - punk" - Peter Ell

What an event! Must join for everybody :thumbsup:

7. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

@Vaughn Stegeman , driving most of a lap will give you a good sense of the tracks corners and style but not much to go on for tuning. It basiclly allows you to validate the installation so,an installation lap maybe ;) Yes, it's to keep everyone on the same level to begin with. The event opens with a full 50 minute qualifying session. Plenty of time to set a car up and learn a track :D Hot lap and make changes or put in lots of laps :unsure:

One race is dry the other is a Race for Champions :thumbsup:

Me, they call me traffic.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Björn

Björn

Tried the car yesterday. Same here. :D

• Haha Haha x 1
  9. D'OH! I see now, race 2 is changeable weather. How did I miss that? sry :redface:

10. The choice of one dry race and one possibly wet is to ensure we get most amount of finishers and good grid on the second race. It's too hard track/car combo to do first race wet, people need to know the track well. Also qualify beginning in dry weather is similar "guarantee", at least everyone will get some run in the dry and then maybe some wet training for race2. Daniel Hansson makes the weather and has complete freedom apart from those fixed times so even i don't know anything else..

Why this odd naming of races? We had a one the best seasons ever in PrestoGP with F3000 and weather was the deciding factor in the end. So celebrating with a good challenge in variable conditions all starting equal on a classic era car sounded like the proper thing to do. If only Race07 supported different lengths for each race, that would've been the natural choice: Sprint and main event. But it doesn't so this was the next solution.

There's a point scoring table also for this event. It's purely unofficial but should decide the winner. I'll post it later today, now i really need to go.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  11. PaulH

PaulH
    Premium Member

wow, just tried these cars, they are a BIG handful :notworthy: I wont put my name down just yet, they maybe abit out of my league :)
    Good luck all :thumbsup:

• Haha Haha x 1
  12. Arunas

Arunas
    "Polite - punk" - Peter Ell

Yep, these car is awesome scary.. :devilish:

13. Björn

Björn

Aaah, which of the two threads to chose.. let's take this one :D

PSA time - don't give up just yet. While I was almost set to pass on the event, I just gave each car a few quick laps on Monza.
    Obviously, this is completely subjective and your experience might vary, but I found the cars to differ drastically - I won't take speed into account as I've only driven a max of 4 laps with each car, but that should be enough for a first impression in terms of handling :) Also, all cars we're driven with the default setup.

So, here's my order of preference as of now (still a lot of training to be done ;))

Scarrini - the "easiest" (let's not fool ourselves, these aren't Minis, and they're all not "easy" by definition ;)) of the lot
    Yonda/Grabham/Britus - not that far behind, each with some kinks (for example, be extra gentle with 1st gear in the Britus) but they're all controllable and with some more training, should be fun to drive :)
    Beagle/Hooper - hum. Well, these might be something for those of us who seek a challenge ;) While generally driveable, I found the Beagle to be quite unstable in general whereas the Hooper was oversteering very easily
    GBR - errr... again, just my personal opinion ;) - not. driveable. at. all. Coincidentally, this was the car I chose when first trying the mod a few days ago :D

To sum it up - test at least a few cars before counting yourself out. Add in some more training, setup (check out the "hard" tyres as well) and you might be going to Kuusamo after all :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. The password in the package is: dav1d

That's to honor PrestoGP Season 11 Champion, David Turnbull. And bumping the open thread as the most recent post.

15. Bumping.. If you got issues, please post them here ASAP.

16. Valter Ostman

Valter Ostman
    PrestoGP Veteran

No incidents to report.
    This track is fantastic for classic cars!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. nevermind this post, wrong thread :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1