Power & Glory Update 3.2 Coming Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Zakspeed3.jpg

The waiting's nearly over folks. After two long years in the making, the glorious Power & Glory v3.1 mod for GTR 2 is getting a new update!

V3.2 is due to land before the end of 2015 and contains some nice little treats for those with a mind to race big old classic cars with clunky H-pattern gearboxes around some of the finest circuits ever dreamt up by man (that's right, tracks used to be cool before Hermann Tilke started making them).

According to the developers version 3.2 promises a host of improvements that include completely revised physics and updated graphics for all the Ford GT40 variants. In addition we welcome the new arrival of the 1969 IGFA German Racing Team GT40.

IGFA.jpg

Completely revised physics for all the Porsche 906 variants. The graphics update for this car is limited to 4 different sets of tyre models replacing the single GTL model used before. An example is shown below.

906tyres.jpg

Work is also ongoing with regards to a more minor update to the Alpine A110 model, to include re-introduction of back fire effects, physics changes and graphical updates. Additional data acquired by the group since version 3.1 has led to other tweaks to the performance and handling to bring these exquisite vehicles closer to their real life counterparts.

Continuing the tradition of outstanding technical assistance on this mod the team are releasing a series of user manuals explaining the changes to the GT40 and 906 cars help with the set-up options for that vehicle.

For those of you not yet familiar with the Power & Glory Mod (how dare you ;)) here's a little background info:

In 2005 Simbin Studios (now Sector 3 Studios, creators of RaceRoom Racing Experience) released their classic (literally) racing sim GT Legends based on the FIA Historic racing championship.

51WHCBKK4NL.jpg

Shortly after release along came a talented team of modders under the title of GT Legends Workshop to start a project to create real seasons from the 60's and 70's using the base content models provided in GT Legends. So Power & Glory (P&G) was born. Spreading over many updates, and benefiting from a huge quantity of user created additional mods to compliment the base content contained in P&G (such as period tracks, liveries and additional cars) the mod took on a life of its own and now stands up against many commercial releases in both quality, presentation and quantity.

Users should be aware that the P&G mod will require a copy of Simbins GTR2 to install on your PC (P&G uses GTR2's base game files and installs as a totally standalone mod).

It is understood that the new update will be available as both a patch from v3.1 and as a complete V3.2 install.

Visit the P&G development blog for download options.

I'm sure those of us who know and love previous versions will be excited about this update (I sure am) but equally important I hope this brings P&G to the attention of sim racers the world over who might have missed this little classic first time round. Yes the base game was released a fair while ago, but seriously folks, this is one super epic piece of sim racing goodness you just cant be without.

Let us know in the comments below if you are looking forward to this update, and why not share some of your favourite moments from P&G battles past?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our thanks to Paul for creating this news item at RD, especially given GTR2 has never had a high profile here. We appreciate that the majority of people have moved on to the new sims, but for hardcore fans of historic GT and touring cars, the modern sims have a tiny range of cars on offer compared to GT Legends and mods based on it such as Power & Glory. And while gMotor2 graphics are showing their age, as Ravenousbeast points out, GTR2 still has a feature list few more modern titles can match.

Our thanks to Paul for creating this news item at RD, especially given GTR2 has never had a high profile here. We appreciate that the majority of people have moved on to the new sims, but for hardcore fans of historic GT and touring cars, the modern sims have a tiny range of cars on offer compared to GT Legends and mods based on it such as Power & Glory. And while gMotor2 graphics are showing their age, as Ravenousbeast points out, GTR2 still has a feature list few more modern titles can match.

Glad you like the post David, its the least we can do for your efforts producing this amazing mod :) Seriously mate, I don't want to sound like too much of a fan boy here :p but everything about P&G is really first rate.. hours on end of top notch entertainment :)

Anyway, always feel free to drop me a PM mate if you have anything noteworthy to say or announce and I'll do what I can from this end to get it put together in an article and spread the word :D:thumbsup:

P&G (like the content it creates) might be old, but oh boy is it gold (yeah yeah I know its a bit of a cheesy like but hey, it just needed to be done :roflmao:).

Cheers!

Ah David, while I have your attention :)

Any tips you can offer @kamackeris on how to get P&G running smooth on his PC please? Its been that long since I installed it I've sort of forgot them all :D

Cheers fella :thumbsup:

It is puzzling as one advantage of an older platform like GTR2 is it should run smoothly on pretty much any gaming PC. My PC is six years old and runs P&G very smoothly. kamackeris hasn't given much detail on his PC but mention of Win10 indicates its probably new and powerful, so Win10 itself might be the issue. As I'm still running XP I really don't have a clue on what to suggest other than posting at NoGrip where there are more GTR2 users, a few of whom might have experience of Win10.

Cheers David & Paul for the replies... appreciated...

Paul - I would probably agree with David mate, it could well be a W10 issue as for me using triple screen with a single 770 it runs butter smooth even with totally maxed out settings, full AA in NVidia settings and sweetfx plugin plus other little bits & bobs that I cant remember at this stage (I'll have a look see in a minute in the web see if anything pops up).

I'd probably suggest the same and have a look at (that other website ;)) see if anyone else has these issues or a solution. @Matej Lakota I know you run Windows 10, do you still have this installed and if so, any tips for Paul F please? Cheers :)

Right of to search the big wide web.. I'll be back!

Also, this below was written for GSCE but does work on GTR2 I believe (I'm pretty sure I've done this for mine and it worked well, but please backup your file first just in case ;))

"First of all, run GSC Config.exe from the main game folder. You want to select DX9 (not "Auto"), and you actually want to turn anti-aliasing off. Then run the game itself and, in the graphic options, turn Anisotropic Filtering off. Why? Because you get better results if you force those settings through your graphic card's software.

- So, if you have nVidia (I don't have AMD, but I assume the procedure is somewhat similar), you can open your nVidia control panel, go to Manage 3D settings, select the Program Settings tab, and add the gsc.exe file if it's not already there. Then change the AA/AF settings to your liking.

- A better choice for nVidia users, however, is to use
nVidia Inspector, a 3rd-party program that gives you more freedom to change settings. Assuming you've installed it, run it, click on the little tool button next to "Driver Version", select the Game Stock Car profile, and make the changes there. Here are my settings for my good old 560ti, if you want something to base your choices on:

inspector.jpg
- Final step: go to your game folder, find config.ini and open it in Notepad. Most of the settings here are supposed to be autodetected by the game, but it won't do that properly. Basically, you want to edit these lines so they look like this:

SystemRAM=16384
VideoRAM=1024
ObjDetail=5
TexDetail=5
RunBenchmarks=0
FSAA=0
ShaderLevel=3

Change the system and video RAM to something, in MB, that fits your computer, of course. "

also also :D maybe the below taken from http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=9763

"Posted Feb 06 2014 - 06:22 AM
Hi lads,

well I won't lie to you: I was eager to give you this great news but I've decided to wait and test it through not to create false expectations.
But, here we go!

Well in these few months I've tried some other sims, mostly
Assetto Corsa, Rfactor and GTR2.
As you know,
Rfactor and GTR2, being "old" games, do not use multi-core processors but they focus on just one. So, in simple words, if you have a dual, quad or esa-CPU they will use just one core. BUT, there is a trick, a very useful one, to make them use ALL of your cores.
I know that probably many of you already know this "trick" but I want to share it anyway because there may be many others, like me, which do not know this.
The trick is to set the "CPU affinity" parameter to use not only one core (usually the second one) but also the other as well.
This trick can be done pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL(CANC for italians), right click on the exe from the Task Manager and go to "details"; from there it could be necessary another right click on the exe (for me it is necessary, I'm using Win 8.1) and you should see the "set affinity" voice. Click it. You'll notice that only one of your cores is selected. Select them all and get back in the game. Big boost ya?
biggrin.png

But, when you'll fire the game again, after the PC has been shut down, the setting won't be there again. Again, only one of your cores will be selected.
So how to solve this and make it permanent? After a bit of research I've found the way.
You should download and install a software called "
Process_Lasso". It's basic version is free and contains everything you need for this purpose.
After the installation, he will ask you to start everytime you boot your PC and to run with privileges. It is necessary for it to make
Windows accept the settings you select from inside Processor Lasso.
Now, all you have to do is click on the "Options" windows, look for "set CPU affinity", click it, add the exe of the game you want to run full core (selecting, of course, all the cores avalaible. If you want, you can select which cores to use for the game if you do not want them all to run) and click OK.
And it is done!!

Lads, I've searched a lot before installing this software. I'm a cautious guy and I always avoid to mess with my operative system.
So, if I tell you that this software is safe, you can trust me. If you want, there are plenty of user's reviews in the net as well.
This way, you'll get easily a 20-30% boost in your gaming experience.
I have tested it succesfully with GTR2 and GPL. No CTDs, no BSOD, no instability at all (and I'm using a PC with CPU, RAM and GPU overclocked by me).
Have fun!"

I really do need to stress that I HAVE NOT TESTED THESE MYSELF and have only found them on the net, so I cant be responsible if they break anything :)

Anyway, good luck chap. Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

This is the best sim racing I have had, and very pleased to see you once again have value added to the product.
I have run this in the last version as a league, but found that the net-code caused us enough problems that we sadly moved away from it.
Is the online experience okay/better now? I am hoping your going to say: "use a Amazon instance of x size on ports a,b,c and it will be a beast"
Thanks again, I will be getting my old install CDs out tonight.

Oooh this is lovely. This is one of the two very excelent historic mods out there (the other being the HistoriX GTTC mod that is also raced here), but I always preferred Power and Glory. HistoriX has a wider range of cars, but Power and Glory felt much more consistent as well as running on the (IMO superiour) GTR2 engine.
I especially adore that each car livery has it's own history attached to it. I love how the game sounds. I love how each cockpit looks as it did back then.
It's amazing. It's a bit of a pity that the GTR2 engine is old and that the game is not played here on racedepartment...

If only there was a Gmotor2 game still in active development that aims to have an equal yet more advanced featureset. I would pay money to see it converted to such a sim...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%