Power Class @ Riverside Can-Am Tues - Tue December 1st 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyermix.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPT.COM POWER
Class: GTL Power Class (DeTomaso Pantera/Corvette 69/Capri 3100/Ford GT40/AC Cobra 427)
Track: Riverside Can-Am Layout
Conditions: 17.00 race time (floodlights will come on during race)
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 mins (1 timed lap)
Race: 2 x 12 laps
Notes: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default Skins only
Note3: A different car must be used for each race

I found this tip at another forum the other day for folks that are having difficulty getting to the online setup folders, I have not at any time had hassles and when I went to check this tip could not find the "hosts" file in my folder anywhere but......

"if you are having probs getting to online setup folders make sure you have this line in your hosts file (81.3.59.61 www.gtl-server.net) without the brackets and you should be able to use them"

Sam

This was an awsome nigth!!!
First race was much better than second, but still!

1) The corvette had much better cornering abilities than I had first thought, and the straight down acceleration was priceless :D
Lots of duells, which I had never imagined cause in my head, this vette was fast on a straight, but deadly slow in corners... not that bad ;)
Especially in the last lap, where I passed carlos on the long straight before the finish hehe ;) I saw him and knew that I would need to really fast, so I will make it up to his bumper before the straight, and it worked jipiiiiie :)

I forgot, I got hit twice... same spot LOL but no offence taken!

2) Now this was sth else. I liked the panty but only once got a decent lap!
Somewhere, I lost some part or damaged sth and on that long straight, when lifting all hell broke loose and the car kept on spinning.... good idea to hit the pit! But there was no crew! OK next lap.... I entered the pit AND there was a crew! Nice.... not quite, Steven saw me driving back and forth, left and right, for I dont know how long... but I tried all possibilities to position myself in respect to the crew guy... no chance!
Then, I decided to hit the track again, forgot the speed limit--> SNG lol and two turns later I kissed my panty good-bye. She flew up the hill, over the fence and decided to kiss that flood light pole... yep that was bombasic :D lol

Sorry for chatting during the 2ed last lap... I had it mistaken 4 the last!

That was an awesome evening, spectacular track and brilliant cars. Great choice from Stuart.

Race one - Corvette, Qually 2nd

Got a clean getaway and lead into T1, after a tight first few corners I was getting clear from the field as Sam had had to wait after taging someone. I knew he'd be on me like a cheap suit later in the race, so i wanted to get the biggest lead i could while he was in the traffic. I put in some storming laps to build up a nearly 10 second lead from the chasing pack.

Around lap 8/9 i saw my lead start to fall and I assumed Sam had broken through into 2nd place, I became a bit nervous and the time tumbled, The vette really can't be driven fast when your tense, I had a slight off at the tightening double apex right hander before the long straight and the next lap Sam was right on my tail. The fight was short and sweet, I tried my hardest to keep him behind, the vette having the legs on his capri down the straights, but it was useless really. He steamed past and that was that. I burbled home to second, which i was pleased with - apparently the vette really suits my style.

Race Two - Ford Capri, Qualy 9th

I failed hard in qualifying and didn't set a time, so i had to start strong to avoid losing too much ground. The start was chaotic, i got a good getaway but it was too packed in the midfield to try and pass. I slithered past a few people who got tangled up in acidents and found myself 6th. I could see two yellow pantera's of amir and carlos up ahead and I decided to chase them down. The capri was an absolute delight, the first sector of the lap was awesome. After a few laps I was on the tail of amir and carlos, i tried to get by every which way but the panty's were quick on the straights, the best i managed was an awesome side by side drag race with carlos on the long back stretch. Really exciting laps for me, great driving by both carlos and amir. unfortunatly this part of the race ended in the inevitable accident. Coming through the sweepers at the start of the lap, i saw a puff of dust rising up, and as i rounded the first right hander, about 6 inches away from carlos' bumper, i saw ulli spinning across the track. Amir made heavy contact and spun out, carlos braked to avoid and I had to dive through a tiny gap to avoid contact. The upside of this being that i gained 3 places, but it did pave the way for my downfall.

After i'd made the pass on carlos, I was out of shape and on the dirt. I outbraked myself for the right hander hairpin after the esses and hit the tyre barrier, bringing me to a stand still. I did keep the engine running so I was able to back it out of the wall and set off again, but carlos was long gone and my car was pretty messed up.

I was determined to catch carlos again, but in my eagerness i managed to drop a wheel on the dirt and spin at the left hadner after the jump. This dropped me back into the reaches of avi and knut, both in capri's but less damaged than mine. I really struggled to keep them behind. We started the last lap with me leading the group, but Ulli thought the race was over and congratulated me on a podium finish. Now as all motorsport fans know, this is a typical Murray Walker Kiss of Death moment. Sure enough I spun a couple of corners later and lost the two places. To be honest, i think they would have got by anyway - i was so slow after my off.

Grats to Sam for double race win, very immpressive. Also WD to carlos for some cracking results.

Thanks again Stu, sorry you dropped out. I'm assuming from your post you were punted out? I hope it wasn't me, if it was i apologise :fwd2:

Cheers,

Good getting to grips with the more powerful cars again, although I don't think I'll be threatening the front runners any time soon. I must apologize to Avi for bumps in both races at the start. 1st one couldn't be helped, the second in Race 2 I just watched the replay again and although I didn't feel any contact in game I saw your car buck round so sorry for that too.

Wish you would of restarted R2 Stu !!

Thanks all for racing

Great evening

Race 1 was a bit lonely and the tires was gone at the end. But good fun hustling the Cobra around

Race 2 was superb. It started off a little bad when I got caught up in a collision near "the tires". I think I nudged Stuart aswell. I waited a while but when I saw you had lost your tire I started driving again. Sorry about that. Is that what you were referring to?

After a while I caught up with Avi. We were really close the whole race and switched positions all the time. Great stuff Avi

Thanks for a great event:good:

I came to this event unprepared, and spent all of practice time trying to unravel the weird behaviour of the Cobra. Why oh why did I let Mozza talk me into this monster. :flypig: , it clearly wasn't suited to me. As it turned out, I really should have at least tried the Pantera during practice.

Race 1, Cobra: Qualy P7. The start was comical. :lol: Ulli (in front) immediately went left, so I tried to follow thinking there must have been someone stalled up front, but as soon as I poured on the power, the Cobra lurched sideways and tapped Steven, making him bump Stuart, who then doughnutted across track into me. This spun me around so I was now stopped and facing the wrong way. By the time I turned around and got going, everyone was loooong gone. :doh: I guess I started it, so I got my just deserts :whistle: (see piccy).
After many laps, I was still hopelessly last and alone (amazingly no one had spun off yet), so I was resigned to a loooong lonely race. Eventually I passed a couple of dust clouds beside the road (Steven and Hans) and could see some other cars in the distance ahead (Stuart and Amir). While I battled with Amir, Hans cruised past both of us (nice going Hans :yo: ), then Stuart had a "moment" and dropped back to join the fun. Had some nice laps with Stu, including watching Amir take a spectacular rolling bounce over the fence into the grandstand :eek:.
I'm afraid the Cobra is not really my :tea:.

Race 2, Pantera: Oh my, I REALLY should have done a bit of practice first , but opted to try to work it out as I raced.
Qualy P4 and started a bit better this time. Held P3 for a bit but was sliding horribly in places, so I think Carlos just waited patiently behind knowing the inevitable would soon happen. Amir spun off, giving me P2 for a while, but soon Carlos was rewarded for his patience. In turn 1, I put a tiny bit of inside rear wheel on the dirt, and that was it, off into the outside wall with a huge thump. I quickly followed this by slamming the wall a few turns later, but then had some clean laps in P5. Just as I thought I was getting the hang of the Pantera, I stupidly cut a tiny bit on the long sweeping right hander, and hit one of those nasty little tyre barriers (made of solid concrete). Bang, immediately stopped. Still the Pantera wasn't dead yet, so I had a long lonely run in P7 until the last lap or so when I caught Amir, who I assume slowed to wait for me, so we had a form finish. :D

Thanks all for the fun, these over-powered beasts can provide lots of fun when matched to the right track, and this one was a good'un. Thanks Stu.

Attachments

• Cobra start.JPG
    Cobra start.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 178
stuart. i think that as an admistrator and as an event organiser you should explain what happend. it is not usual that you pull out of races in the middle and obviusly something went realy wrong. now you posted a very angry post . who are you aiming to ? was it me or another player? please explain.

Well Amir, technically what I should really do is raise an incident report, and then get the player banned for a month for a golden rule break.

I quit to the pits because I had lost my front wheel after about 4 turns, couldn't go above about 30 mph, and so if I tried to limp to the pits:
a) you lot would have caught me up, possibly several times,
b) I had little or no manouevering ability, and would therefore be a complete liability
c) I had no desire to cost someone else their race

The person at fault was Avi, he span in the middle of the track, coming to rest right across it, leaving me and Knut absolutely nowhere to go except into each other a little and in my case smack into the side of him losing a front wheel completely. As Knut and I were trying to face the right way and get out of the gravel, he just drove off.

He's done it before, where he's caused accidents or hit people and driven off without waiting. Not all the time, but enough for people to have made comments to me about it in the past.

So yes, I was a bit pissed off at the time, but I was actually trying to remind him of the rules without resorting to sanctions. Would my reporting him and possibly getting him a ban actually help things? Or would a reminder without going into direct finger pointing maybe be a better first response? I think the latter.

My post to Knut wasn't angry at all. It was merely a summary of the events, and an assurance that it wasn't him who was at fault.

I don't know why you thought it might be you, you were nowhere near me at any stage in Race2.

• Avi El

Knut, it was that incident, but it wasn't you.

"It was the driver who suddenly appeared spinning in the middle of the road, caused you & I to crash as we had nowhere to go, and then drove off while we were still trying to get out of the gravel.
"

Hi Stu,
I Wasnt "suddenly spinning" . I was hit from behind by some one. Ask other drivers. thats why I spun !
anyway Im not looking 4 anyone to blame for been hit.
Its annoying but it can happen in racing.
please lets focus on more positive issues.

Avi, I did say that you suddenly appeared spinning. By which, I meant that I came round the bend, cars got out of my line of sight and the first time I saw you, there you were, sideways across the road.

If you were impacted causing your spin, then fair enough.

• Avi El

Thats ok Stu,
lets just try and more tollerant and patient to each other on and off the track.
The purpose of all this is having fun.

2 excellent races last night but 2 absolutely dreadful starts.

Race 1 with the Capri was most interesting, fluffed start and had to come back through the pack, followed Ulli a bit too closely into T1 and bumped him, sorry Ulli, so moved into pitlane exit to allow him back through which meant I had to kick the thing silly to try to catch Tom who'd made off like the proverbial rat up a drain, he had an enormouse lead by the time I got it together which looked unsurmountable but once I'd made it into the clear I realised I was hauling 1.5 to 2 seconds a lap back, I made some, in my humble opinion, fine overtakes round the outside in a couple of cases, including the one on Tom to get the lead, and ran away as fast as I could to take the win :bang:

Race 2 with the Pantera always looked like it was a dead cert. (cocky fecher :embarrassed:) as I was managing laptimes that were 1+ sec ahead of the following pack, made another dismal start and got back to the front quite quickly but I almost threw it away about lap 8 or 9 when I stuck it nose first into the tyres on the outside of the hairpin leading onto the Canam loop and lost the front splitter but I had enough of a gap, as I had to ease up by about 3 seconds a lap because of the lack of front DF, to bring it home for the second win.

Thanks for the great evening, to think I almost didn't race because I was hacking and coughing all day made the wins even sweeter.

Sam

We will do more of the Power Class events, but it just needs the right sort of track, to really make it worth doing.

Long enough straights for them to be able to stretch their legs, simple enough so you aren't wrestling with them just to stay on track, but not so simple that it becomes boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%